Learning to Speak Korean

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An yo ha shim ni ka?

I know that is not the correct spelling, but is supposed to be hello or literally "are you at peace"?

I am looking for some friends to help me supplement my learning Korean verbally with the actual way to spell the Korean words I am learning. Any help out there?

Kam sa hap ni da! (thank you)

Farang - Larry

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kam sa hap ni da. (thank you) Oldnewbie.

I am hoping to work on my conversational Korean too. I will check out that website, if there are any others out there, please feel free to post.

an yang he que ship she yo (good bye or literally "peacefully stay")

Farang - Larry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you go to a bookstore, there are often a number of "how to learn a language" tapes/cds. We picked up one for my trip to Korea-used it a little-mostly conversational phrases for travelers. Are you planning on going to Korea?

If you really want to learn the language though, I think you need to find a native-speaker or do a course at a college (or church-had a friend who learned conversational Korean and how to write Hanguel through a Korean church).

Good Luck!

Miles

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I speak can some korean. I used to live there and I took some classes on it. Plus my wife is korean so I hear it all the time. Have you ever considered going to school in korea? I remember hearing offers a the time for americans to study korean in korea. College there is really cheap compared to the US. Plus you could always teach english for extra money. It'd probably be a lot of fun. Korea is an interesting place. Plus the food is awesome.
-David Dempsey-

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should check out the Pimsleur language learning series. They are considered the best at teaching languages by many professional linguists. There system helped me learn Japanese.

J

Jim Tindell

I want to study Korean language, but the only colleges that offer full courses are in Hawaii.

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have Pimsleur's course on Korean 1, lessons one through ten on CD. I am up to lesson four. No plans on going to Korea. Just want to learn new language(s). A friend of mine has Chinese from Pimsleur and another has French. Plus I have a Spanish CD-ROM. I am mostly looking to learn how to spell the words that I am learning correctly. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Farang - Larry

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
If your main interest is learning how to read write and spell, why don't you take a semester of korean at a local university. A lot of places offer elementary korean classes. Besides reading writing and spelling is the easiest part. You could probably learn how to do it in about 2 days. Korean is probably one of the most difficult languages to learn. The US Department of Defense has it rated as the most difficult language that they teach at the Defense Language Institute. So I wish you luck in your goal.-David Dempsey-

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
lulflo said:
Yes I have Pimsleur's course on Korean 1, lessons one through ten on CD. I am up to lesson four. No plans on going to Korea. Just want to learn new language(s). A friend of mine has Chinese from Pimsleur and another has French. Plus I have a Spanish CD-ROM. I am mostly looking to learn how to spell the words that I am learning correctly. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Farang - Larry
Sorry, I thought you were in it for the speaking aspect. I have had to self-teach myself to read and write the Japanese language. I went to Borders Books and bought up a few for beginners.

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. I think that maybe it will work out to get some books to work on the writing in English. I think the next step will be writing the Korean characters too. It would be awesome to have a friend to email back and forth to work on conversational Korean too. Any takers?

Farang - Larry

Bearhugj

White Belt
Reaction score
hi,
I can help you with some of the Korean assistance you need. Ultimately the best thing you can do is to learn "hangul", that way you'll be able to pronounce everything correctly and you'll actually be able to read almost any korean at that point. As for vocabulary and grammer, that is quite a bit more difficult. Pimsleur has some decent korean courses that you can find on ebay and other places. I learned korean in early high school (about the same time as I joined the HWD HQ here in So Cal, and then went to korea several times, and then was a student at the Defense Language Institute in Korean. Let me know if you need some further pointers etc. By the way, it really should pronounced more like "hwa rang", NOT far rang. Koreans do NOT have an "F" in their alphabet system.

Steronius

White Belt
Reaction score
Not legal, but you can get almost all the pimsleur sets on p2p networks (kazaa, emule, etc)

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate your offer Bearhugj. How long have you been training Hwarang do? I would like to exchange some information with you and have conversation, maybe by phone, please PM me if you would be willing, I think it would be easier to have someone to converse with audibly. I don't know what I have to offer you in exchange, but I would appreciate anything you could do. I have gone through Pmslr's Korean I lessons 1-10 already and am still working on the last two lessons to have it down well, and I think I should buy the next set if there is one. Again, thank you for your post.

Farang (Hwa Rang) - Larry

C

ciondk

For whats its worth, for saying hello I would probably say "Annyoung haseyo" and "Gamsa hamnida" thats the pronounciation. "Kamsa hapnida" is a valid spelling but the P is pronounced as a M in that context.

Just for the record, the letter F does not excist in the Hangeul, so Farang is not a possible korean word. If it is a word makde specifically for your art, it may be possible.

Bearhugj

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Larry,
Well you can reach my at my email at [email protected]

I'm not sure if the Department of Defense is selling any of their Defense Language Institute programs anymore, but that was my main resource for learning Korean. I was an interrogator with various units both here in the US and in Korea. As you know the situation with North Korea has always been very precious. I also did a semester at Yon Sei University in Seoul, studying Korean History. Korean History is another area where there is much confusion, legend, and hype, but the reality is as equally fascinating (and contradictory to) as legends. As to spelling korean using our alphabet, there really is no set system in place to the best of my knowledge. Unlike "pinyin" which is a standardize way of "romanising" chinese (yes I learned mandarin, which is really "pu tong hua") our attempts to spelling korean can only "approximate". As to "thank you"..."kam sa hab ni da", the 4th part ends in a "bi up" which is really a hard "b" sound, but it blends into the next part "ni" which is a "ny un"...so it often sounds like an "m" sound. Another way to say thank you, which I prefer as a little more formal is "ko map sub ni da". Well hope to hear from you - John

Bearhugj

White Belt
Reaction score
my thoughts on "farang"....
when I was at the Downey HQ (I was starting high school at that time), I remember people saying "farang" and asking how to pronounce "hwa rang". At that time Master Lee had just completed the new Building and moved from the tiny and cramped school that was in the little down town area on Downey ave ..but being at the time very few korean speakers around, nobody really knew how to say it...and nobody wanted to bother Master Lee (he was a rather imposing & gruff figure and not very approachable at times) so some people said "hwa rang" but many others said "fa rang" but simply because nobody really know how to say it - and it just kept going on because so few people learned "han geul"... so it's rather amusing to me, that now...about 25 years later...the "fa rang" saying is still going strong :)

Latest Discussions