Traditional Bajiquan martial art

beginerboy1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been looking further into the Chinese Martial arts recently and come across Bajiquan. I understand it was used by bodyguards and seems to be at short range. Are there any traditional Bajiquan schools in the uk? it will be interesting to get everyones views. cheers.

Pepsiman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone who looked into wanting to learn some Bajiquan, I hope you yourself find a great school! Also, good luck finding any good text/video material that's in English; I could personally only find material that was in Chinese, which didn't help considering I'm not the most fluent man in the world.

But yeah, Baji is such an awesome-looking art. I really love the emphasis on overwhelming someone's centerline with explosive power. Something so raw and pure about it.

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lineage of the instructor

He is Wu Tang and learned in Taiwan. However he said he how he teaches it you first have to go through training before he even starts teaching you Baji. I didn’t ask what the training before was. All he said it’s a particular style and you can’t just jump into it. I didn’t ask specifics.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is Wu Tang and learned in Taiwan. However he said he how he teaches it you first have to go through training before he even starts teaching you Baji. I didn’t ask what the training before was. All he said it’s a particular style and you can’t just jump into it. I didn’t ask specifics.
I would be interested in hearing about the preliminary training, and the reasons for it.

I am skeptical of claims that you must first learn X system before you can learn Y system, unless the two systems were developed hand-in-hand and specifically designed to work together like this.

It just seems to me that Y system ought to have its own methodology that can stand alone, otherwise maybe something is wrong with it. Or else it really is simply a subset of X system.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I seems to recall hearing that baji is often taught with piqua, but I do not know why. Anyone here know if there is a special relationship between the two systems?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most Wu Tang instructors use the long fist system as the foundation builder before starting Baji such as the linkage that came from Adam Hsu.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you know the reason why?
All northern CMA system like to use the long fist system as the foundation builder. Adam Hsu started his long first training from GM Han Ching-Tan long before he cross trained the Baji system from GM Liu Yun-Chao.

I seems to recall hearing that baji is often taught with piqua, but I do not know why. Anyone here know if there is a special relationship between the two systems?
Baji is hard and needs Piqua to soft it a little bit.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All northern CMA system like to use the long fist system as the foundation builder. Adam Hsu started his long first training from GM Han Ching-Tan long before he cross trained the Baji system from GM Liu Yun-Chao.

Ok they use it as a form ndation buider, but why? What is lacking in baji to require that?

And what is lacking in baji tonrequire piqua as a softener? If the system was developed and built on its own, why can it not stand alone?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok they use it as a form ndation buider, but why? What is lacking in baji to require that?

And what is lacking in baji tonrequire piqua as a softener? If the system was developed and built on its own, why can it not stand alone?
I don't believe all Baji instructors use long fist system as foundation builder. Adam Hsu believes that long fist system is the mother of all northern CMA systems.

The Baji system use "compress to the maximum and then release to the maximum" power generation method. In sparring, most of the time after your compression, when you try to release, your opponent is outside of your striking range. So you have a lot of compress, but you don't have enough release.

Old saying said, "When you train Baji, before you can use it to kill your enemy, you may have used it you kill yourself already." Some Baji guys have paid too much attention on the power generation and not paying enough attention on their own health.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

A lot of these traditional Baji guys are serious as a heart attack when it comes to Baji and teaching it to someone, it is pretty easy to hurt someone with Baji. And trained properly, it is taxing. So, if it is required, long fist could be for building strengthen to train Baji properly or to see how serious you are about learning Baji by making you take something else first.

I know of a guy in Boston who will teach you Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and a few other styles if you want, but he will not teach anyone Baji, at least not publically. And he learned Baji from chiang kai shek's lead body

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree, Longfist is the foundation of most Northern Systems. It is a simple, hard style that most can pick up pretty easily and can be applied into combat easily.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing about the preliminary training, and the reasons for it.

I am skeptical of claims that you must first learn X system before you can learn Y system, unless the two systems were developed hand-in-hand and specifically designed to work together like this.

It just seems to me that Y system ought to have its own methodology that can stand alone, otherwise maybe something is wrong with it. Or else it really is simply a subset of X system.
One of my sensei's trained in Fu Jow Pai. I learned two of the forms from either fu jow pai or hung gar (can't recall which, although can still perform the forms) from him, as a way for my movements not to be so 'hard', but didn't actually learn either system. I would ask him questions, and he explained to me that system works the same way you described/are doubtful of...you have to learn hung gar before you learn fu jow pai. According to him, fu jow pai was based around hung gar and focused on one specific aspect, so you had to learn the system as a whole before specializing. It wasn't that they were developed hand in hand, but rather that learning the second system would be incomplete without first learning the first system. Makes sense to me.