• No, I did not

• I am still planning to this year

• Im considering it/considered it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you gave somthing to an organization like toys for tots this year? Or Like a food pantry?

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You bet!
Last weekend my church gave away 6000 toys to over 2800 kids from the poor parts of El Paso. You can bet we had some happy kids. Oh and we gave the police department enough toys for several hundred kids. It was bikes, skate boards, board games, and plenty of battery operated gadgets. All the toys was paid for by people from the church... including me. Kids are great!

don

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes- my husband and I did this thing in our area where you pick a needy family and donate things to them from their wish list- it is called "adopt a family". This year, we adopted a single mother and her 4 year old child. We also donated some money to Red Cross for the fire victims down in S. California.

:asian: :karate:

S

Spud

Boosting my contribution to the salvation army as the local mall has barred the bell ringers from the main entrances. That will cost the SA about $20,000 locally.

I like toys for tots, but would rather give the money directly to a charity instead of paying a retailer in order to make my donation.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At work we have a large organization of about 250+ people. We sponsor local families in need. The gifts are from everyting from hats and boots and jackets and other clothes to toilet paper and other necessities, as well as some toys for the little ones. The list is made up by the family with sizes supplied. May of the local churches also have a similar program or if you would be looking into starting your own program at work the SA and churches are a good place to start to find a list of people who might be in need.

For the larger itmes, they divide up the cost, by just asking for a $5 or $10 donation, and once all the money is gathered, one of the sponcers / hosts buys the larger item(s).

:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I support Toys For Tots and a few other organisations.
I also make sure to donate a gift when the local biker have their toy ride. These guys may have a bad reputation some times but they sure go all out to help the kids at this time of year

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser
I support Toys For Tots and a few other organisations.
I also make sure to donate a gift when the local biker have their toy ride. These guys may have a bad reputation some times but they sure go all out to help the kids at this time of year

There are many groups, Harley Owner Group (HOG), or the Red Rider Club or Honda Rider's Club of America, etc, there are many good organizations like this.

As the old proverb says do not judge a book by its' cover.

T

TheRustyOne

Nope. I'm too broke to go out and buy something for the kids...

...couldn't to the Camp-out for Hunger in Philly, either. It's put on by a Philly radio station I love --100.3, Y100-- where they camp out for a weekend in the parking lot of somewhere, and people can come by and donate food for a food bank. Me not doing that prolly has something with my parents not letting me go to Philly on my own...bah says I...

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheRustyOne
Nope. I'm too broke to go out and buy something for the kids...

...couldn't to the Camp-out for Hunger in Philly, either. It's put on by a Philly radio station I love --100.3, Y100-- where they camp out for a weekend in the parking lot of somewhere, and people can come by and donate food for a food bank. Me not doing that prolly has something with my parents not letting me go to Philly on my own...bah says I...

Rusty, when I was in college I had problems having food for myself let alone finding ways to get it for others.

Yet, since I have been able to afford more, I particiapte with a Ann Arbor Food Back and other groups as I find them, feel comfortable with them, etc., ..., .

The thing with Charity, or helping people, is to do what you can do. Sometimes peoples lives are so difficult that it just is not capable of helping out with money or with time. i.e. working, kids, school, sick parents, etc, ..., .

There will come a time when you will be able to what you want and think is the right thing to do. Until then just keep the good intentions.

T

TheRustyOne

I can get a hold of non-perishables at my dad's...i just wouldn't share because goodness knows how stale they are!
...I think there's cereal in there from at least a year ago...*shudder*

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheRustyOne
I can get a hold of non-perishables at my dad's...i just wouldn't share because goodness knows how stale they are!
...I think there's cereal in there from at least a year ago...*shudder*

The Birds like the stale stuff, when there is snow on the ground ;)

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
The Birds like the stale stuff, when there is snow on the ground ;)

Squirrels too