Too old?

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sure you can. First, you kick them somewhere that will encourage them to bring their head down closer to the ground...
Yeah, that's kinda what my instructor said. The kick to the knee will put 'em on the ground and then you "do what's necessary" to neutralize the threat!

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post so be gentle lol, I;m a 47 year old male that has always had an interest in martial arts.

I dabbled a bit when i was much younger but never stuck at it, now the kids are older and I have a bit more time to myself I would like to have another go.

Is 47 too old to start now? the thing is want to reach a decent level, my main concern is my very poor flexibility, my fitness and strength is very good for my age.

So is it possible to achieve a good standard at my age? I would not be happy with just going through the motions week in week out.

Cheers
Arnold
Anyone has the potential to improve their flexibility. It may take some work and dedication, but that is always a part of the equation. Here is a video with clips of my daily training shot on my 70th Birthday...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GSOK1DA0Q&t=86s.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone has the potential to improve their flexibility. It may take some work and dedication, but that is always a part of the equation. Here is a video with clips of my daily training shot on my 70th Birthday...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GSOK1DA0Q&t=86s.
Here's your video so people don't have to copy and paste.

Looking really good for 70! Your spinning hook kick is better than mine, but I figure I have 13 years to catch up with you.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started at 41. Shodan at 46. I'm 66, still training, but now I do tai chi. (Got tired of hitting the ground!) Good luck.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
" I would not be happy with just going through the motions week in week out."

Well, ya gotta understand that there is a certain amount of repetition involved in just about any sport. Yes, as an adult, you begin to think that the repetitiveness of doing forms and the various kicks and punches is really quite boring. And, at times, you'll begin to wonder if you're really getting anywhere with all of this. YOU ARE! Even if you never, ever, advance to a higher belt, you are still doing your body good because you are exercising it and keeping from being a couch potato. Idleness in those older years is the real killer. Yes, it'll be frustrating for you. I'm 67 and I watch the "kids" around me in class that can kick higher and grapple longer than I can before I need a break. But, I'm not competing against them; I'm competing against myself. You wonder from time to time if it's worth it. At least, I did. That was until a young man got up in class and had a thing or two to say about getting his black belt. He said that it was ME that was his inspiration to keep going. Others are watching. Ya can't stop now.

R5ky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
beginning at any age is beneficial for your health in any case

Latest Discussions