Too much stretching

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How much stretching is too much? I'm not talking about warming up properly or stretching too far, but how many sets of stretches can you do in one day? How long can you hold a stretch? 15 seconds? 1 minute? I stretch once after I get up and once before bed. I'd like to do more but thought I'd get some advice first.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. I've pulled a foot ligament and a calf muscle over the last year as well as experienced an aching hamstring. I increased my stretching after the ligament issue but that did not prevent the other two. In fact, I suspect that overstretching may have contributed to the other two and the hamstring has improved since I reduced my stretching. But who knows, maybe it would have improved even if I continued with the previous regimen. Cause and effect can be hard to determine in these cases.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another problem I have is that I can't tell the fine line between pain and discomfort. I can definitely tell if it really hurts but the subtleties of the pain barrier make it difficult to understand. I want to stretch 5 times per day but would hate to overdo it and hurt myself.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I have learned (BS in Exercise Science)...
you can't stretch too much, but you can become too flexible. It is this flexibilty that can cause a problem. To gain flexibility you are giving up stability (you usually see this in joints). This is why you see a lot of ankle, knee, or hip injuries with dancers (ballet usually). They have stretched so much that their joints no longer have any support so they can't stand up to any unusual pressure.
But as far as stretching, you can do that as often as you like during a day. The important thing is to be really warmed up first. Stretching cold won't increase flexibilty. You should also hold a stretch between 15 adn 30 seconds (depending on who you talk to). Anything less than 15 won't do you any good, anything more than 30 is just wasting time.
The whole "pain" and "discomfort" line is a hard one to gage. You just have to listen to your body. If you pull something, figure you went to far! Also, it is not good to try to stretch something you have pulled, you are usually only making it worse. Let it heal completly, then go back to stretching.
I am at work and have to run, but we had a good stretching thread in the Taekwondo area going awhile back, maybe do a search and see what you can find.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should also hold a stretch between 15 and 30 seconds (depending on who you talk to). Anything less than 15 won't do you any good, anything more than 30 is just wasting time.

That is exactly what I learned in my coaching classes in college.

So that's what I've done over the last 12 years or so and I've had very good results.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From what I have learned (BS in Exercise Science)...
you can't stretch too much, but you can become too flexible. It is this flexibilty that can cause a problem. To gain flexibility you are giving up stability (you usually see this in joints). This is why you see a lot of ankle, knee, or hip injuries with dancers (ballet usually). They have stretched so much that their joints no longer have any support so they can't stand up to any unusual pressure.

Yeah, i've had this problem.
I would also add that it's always a good idea to assess yr joints and whether you have any inherent weaknesses in them. For instance, if your knees overextend (ie. you sit flat on the floor with your leg stretched out in front of you and you can still make a fist underneath your heel) then you might want to modify any hamstring stretch that you do that uses the whole leg as a lever - in this case supporting the thigh as well as the calf through the stretch. It's good to know this kind of stuff before you go and destabilise yr joints!

The whole "pain" and "discomfort" line is a hard one to gage. You just have to listen to your body. If you pull something, figure you went to far! Also, it is not good to try to stretch something you have pulled, you are usually only making it worse. Let it heal completly, then go back to stretching.

Also, sometimes injury leads to increased flexibility... i tore a hamstring tendon a couple of years ago and now have much greater hip flexibilty with that leg. But there is always a downside - i also lost a lot of power from that leg as well. It was an interesting exercise in observing the trade-offs between strength, power and flexibility.
Btw, i *don't* recommend tearing things to increase the amount of stretch you are able to get out of them...! :erg:

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm about 10 inches from the floor in my side splits and closer with my long splits even though I can't touch my toes (feet together, knees straight). I was told I might never have that kind of flexibilty because I'm stretching my sciatic nerve. That's why I get that cold, numbing feeling along the back and outside of my hamstrings. I've gotten better with practice but I haven't been dedicated enough to get past the "plateu" I've been wrestling with since I was sixteen. Lose an inch, gain an inch, lose it again. I'd rather find my limits than pre-determine them but I'm ready to accept the possibility that I'll never have as much hamstring flexibility as others. I can touch my toes one at a time and kick high enough for myself. I always like to stay a little more limber than I need to be. I'm nervous about lateral perpendicular force to the side of my knees. I know nobody's are designed for that but I think mine are more weak than usual.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a book called "Stretching Scientifically" that I read a few years ago (I have since lent it out and haven't seen it in 3 years...fortunately, I took copious notes). It addresses the subject rather well.

I would be interested in hearing what people with sports medicine backgrounds think about the methods presented by the author.