Too Much Force?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this article regarding the LAPD and the amount of force used during the immigration rally that took place. Thoughts?

LOS ANGELES - The city's police chief said Wednesday some officers used inappropriate force when they fired rubber bullets into crowds that included children and wielded batons in an incident that marred an otherwise peaceful day of immigration rallies across the United States.
News footage aired Wednesday of the events from the day before showed police beating at least two television camera operators and shoving people who were walking away from officers. They also showed injuries from the rubber bullets, including images of a Hispanic man with a bleeding welt on his stomach.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like a lot of other similar horror stories in the media, I'd be interested to see full context. The article (and the statements of the police chief) seems pretty damning.

Again, before passing judgment I'd like to see the whole story.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of other similar horror stories in the media, I'd be interested to see full context. The article (and the statements of the police chief) seems pretty damning.

Again, before passing judgment I'd like to see the whole story.

My thoughts exactly! :) For the most part, its seems like things were peaceful, with the exeption of a group that started causing trouble, which led to the police using the force they did.

Mike

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two demonstrations, both for the same reason, both with a large number of LAPD officers on standby. One has no issues whatsover and is extremely peaceful and positive. The other one has some turd anarchists throwing things at the cops, injuring a few and then taking off when the order is given to dipserse the crowd. In the middle? The media who feels that they don't have to listen to the cops and can do, and be where they want. What happens? One of the worst things that can happen in journalism, the reporters become part of the story.

It's very possible that the LAPD overreacted but I've noticed on TV today that it doesn't matter which channel it is, the coverage is making the journalists look like innocent bystanders. It'll be interesting to see what comes out in the final wash.

When a line of cops in riot gear start stomping your way, why do some people feel that resisting and being belligerant is a good thing?

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I watched the video attached to the article. It was interesting to see that for all of the officers "excessive force" that there were more injuries to officers than there were to civilians.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It always strikes me as funny that the same people who auto-******* about how they are "speaking truth to power" and "standing up to The Man(tm)" start crying as soon as the batons come out. It's part of the experience, you brave thing, you.

Update: Here's an account by a reporter for the LA Times. Fun time is over when people start throwing bottles at the police.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple: When you make the choice that your moral conviction is more important than the law, you must realize that the legal system is no longer your ally.

Now you just have to decide if it's worth it, and don't complain about the results but get on with it.

Latest Discussions