Toes breaking more than is normal?

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Once you have an moderate /severe injury and it ‘heals’, you are never quite the same again, especially if it requires medical intervention to fix it. Plating, pinning, external fixation, grafts, ligamental tears…never the same and there’s always some sort of pain which tends to get worse with age! Now if it’s an accident, then it cannot have been avoided, but if you have put yourself in the line of unreasonable risk (the definition of which varies from person-to-person) then in tuo capite fiat!
Ya can still see the break in my toe! Guess it’s so odd I like to play with it every now and again. Looks very funny and it’s weird to just grab the top of it and bend it backwards!!!! Does not hurt any!!! Now the hole in my shin I don’t touch nor look at it that’s beyond weird!!!!!!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya can still see the break in my toe! Guess it’s so odd I like to play with it every now and again. Looks very funny and it’s weird to just grab the top of it and bend it backwards!!!! Does not hurt any!!! Now the hole in my shin I don’t touch nor look at it that’s beyond weird!!!!!!
Ouchie! I was eating when I read that 🤢

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently started training Brazilian jiu-jitsu after ten years training karate/mma.

In the last 4 weeks at jui juitsu Iv managed to break 2 toes, the little one on one foot and the middle one on the other.

In my ten years of karate we have rolled a lot and Iv only broken a toe once, so I'm wondering if this is unusual?

I am a bodybuilder and powerlifter as well and I have heard excess protein and caffeine intake can result in brittle bones but I wasn't sure if this holds any truth?

Anyway, I can live with broken toes, Iv continued my training, lifting etc. but I'm just curious if this is normal for bjj practitioners or if I might want to investigate it.

Thanks! ??
Could you give more detail on exactly How the toes were broken?

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Rozow.

I've broken a few toes over the years, but from hitting elbows while hard kicking. Never broke one grappling, though.

Maybe ask your instructor or some of the high belts there.
I was going to mention the same. I have rather gnarly big toes from repeated jamming and breaking. It was always from an errant kick or really hard contact. Same goes for my thumbs (my own fault).

I have never heard of a twisting break of a toe.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention the same. I have rather gnarly big toes from repeated jamming and breaking. It was always from an errant kick or really hard contact. Same goes for my thumbs (my own fault).

Could you give more detail on exactly How the toes were broken?
Yeah, Hallow-bleeding’-een is just around the corner 😳

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently started training Brazilian jiu-jitsu after ten years training karate/mma.

In the last 4 weeks at jui juitsu Iv managed to break 2 toes, the little one on one foot and the middle one on the other.

In my ten years of karate we have rolled a lot and Iv only broken a toe once, so I'm wondering if this is unusual?

I am a bodybuilder and powerlifter as well and I have heard excess protein and caffeine intake can result in brittle bones but I wasn't sure if this holds any truth?

Anyway, I can live with broken toes, Iv continued my training, lifting etc. but I'm just curious if this is normal for bjj practitioners or if I might want to investigate it.

Thanks! ??
Given my no experience in BJJ keep your feet on there sides as much as you can, never ever have your toes where the are resting by there selfs on the surface use the balls of your feet when pushing! Of course I am wrong and I have had only four classes so far!! But there are people on here that have more experience then me so listen to them!!!!!!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is definitely not true. There are lots of claims about excess protein consumption being bad for you, it's all BS. The only downside to eating more than your needs are you waste money (protein sources are generally expensive), you may under eat on other macros if you maintain a calorie balance, and you're digestion might suffer a bit. It's not going to do any long term damage though.

As for caffeine, I haven't looked at extensive research on its consumption, but there are people out there that drink a litres of coffee a day, and they're not walking around like they are made of glass. I can't imagine what the mechanism for caffeine reducing bone elasticity would be either, so likely also not true.

I hope you don't suffer any more injuries!
High protein diets can damage kidneys.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
High protein diets can damage kidneys.
No they can't. It's one of the many nutrition myths out there built on journalists reading the title of studies and never even going as far as the abstract, let alone the paper. To quote myself from earlier in the thread...
It is indeed a very common claim that excess protein consumption causes problems with kidneys. This is one of those findings that gets taken completely out of context and blown out of all proportion.

If you have some form of kidney problem, then consuming large amounts of protein can be bad for you. If you have normal functioning kidneys however there is no problem; this has been demonstrated time and again by scientific studies looking into high protein diets.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jigsaw mats will do it. Or if you are being half thrown and are sort of hopping with potentially two body masses at play.

Also shoulder throws where they step on your foot.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is a myth if you don't have existing renal dysfunction.

Why not just eat good old-fashioned well-balanced meals? You know the USDA recommendations that include protein. And get at least moderate exercise?
Fad diets come and go. Right now, high protein is popular. Give it a year and it will be bad for you.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
.... Most of the broken toes I've heard of in wrestling, bjj, and similar activities are the result of toes getting caught in gaps or holes on the mats, ...
I have broken both little toes during my first two years of bjj the same way - we trained in a place with little bit loosely placed mats and fingers got into the gaps between them. Wrestling shoes allowed me to train while the bones were fuseing together.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No they can't. It's one of the many nutrition myths out there built on journalists reading the title of studies and never even going as far as the abstract, let alone the paper. To quote myself from earlier in the thread...
Ok I get your point. Here is where I am coming from, a patient may not know what place their renal health is in. Patients can show no dysfunction on lab tests until they are at 10% of renal function. If you are at say 11% of renal function and eat a high protein diet you can be putting yourself at risk without knowing it. Granted, this may not be the case very often. Some antibiotics can trigger kidney failure in “at risk“ individuals. My point is that most people (and their physicians) don’t have tools to accurately assess their renal health. A person may also be able to smoke without seeing any damage or deleterious effects on their lungs until it’s too late.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes exactly, a person won’t know they have dysfunction until they are within around 10% of total function.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m really not trying to argue with you, but this just isn’t the whole story for everyone.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you say it’s all BS that isn’t exactly true.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

So they can. Interesting, I know quite a few people with kidney issues who don't know this.

Good to know, I cook for everyone I know.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not just eat good old-fashioned well-balanced meals? You know the USDA recommendations that include protein. And get at least moderate exercise?
Fad diets come and go. Right now, high protein is popular. Give it a year and it will be bad for you.
Lots of people have kidney issues for totally different reasons, plenty of which are genetic, nada to do with lifestyle.

You can do all those right things, diet exercise etc and still end up with organ issues.

For me this is enlightening, now I know to go slow on the amino acids with certain company.

Latest Discussions