To my astonishment..

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I walked into the dojo where I have been crosstraining for the last month to see that it has been remodeled over the weekend--New pads on the walls, new front desk, cage style fence on one side with padded poles...and a flat screen TV set mounted on the wall right above the training mat. It was playing some kind of fight channel with the volume set moderately so everybody in the room could hear. This was going continually during classes that night.

What can I say, maybe I'm too "old school", but I never thought I'd see a television competing for the instructor's attention during class. Nobody commented on it within my hearing, but I was annoyed.

Is this becoming more common than I previously thought? How many of you all have tvs playing above the matt while you are training?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:xtrmshock WTF (and I don't mean World Taekwondo Federation) :disgust:

:mad: This is pathetic… I was annoyed buy the guy I meant that told me his Sifu let them bring in a book to read for stance training….. but this…. a television… lets just call it an MMA based sports bar and be done with it.

Martial arts training is FOCUS not a distraction from your favorite TV show:banghead:

Yup...I'm an MA Dinosaur and on the short list for the extinction of my kind :disgust:

And if this is the future of martial arts... I quit :disgust:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's horrible! Personally I think everyone (owners, instructors, students) has the responsibility to give everyone else a great class...that is not the way to do it.

In addition, that just strikes me as being a bit....disturbing. What kind of message does that send? In case you don't like watching your kids (or whomever) you can watch "real" fights on TV?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of dojo is this? A traditional karate one? If so, yes the changes seem out of place. However, this might work great in a MMA gym.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In addition, that just strikes me as being a bit....disturbing. What kind of message does that send? In case you don't like watching your kids (or whomever) you can watch "real" fights on TV?

Ouch, I hadn't thought of that; I was just annoyed by the students being distracted.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What kind of dojo is this? A traditional karate one? If so, yes the changes seem out of place. However, this might work great in a MMA gym.

It's a Muay Thai dojo, but there is also some MMA.

Regardless...IMO a television is the wrong thing to have running in the middle of class time.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a Muay Thai dojo, but there is also some MMA.

Regardless...IMO a television is the wrong thing to have running in the middle of class time.

I've visited a modern MMA gym in Vegas when I was vacationing there. They had TVs along with loud music playing during the workouts. It seemed to go over well with the students/athletes.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppsoe it's a matter of taste/preference...but I like my training time to be media-free. Occassionally, during a workout type class, music is fine. TV though is too much.

However, if the t=students don't mind and the place turns out decent fighters...who am I to criticise?

Peace,
Erik

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That would drive me nuts. How are you supposed to learn anything with that going on? Bleah.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am an old school dinosaur as well with no tv, no mirrors, no distractions just training. The pictures below are from my Training Hall in Alma and yes I will replicate some thing similar when we get to Vegas!

Attachments

• $2010 Group Picture, Alma Training Hall, Bo 005.jpg
    $2010 Group Picture, Alma Training Hall, Bo 005.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 245
  • $maharlika kuntaw seminar Rich Parsons forum.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 220

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can find the positive. If you have TV at the school, then practicing in front of your own TV will seem more natural.:)
sean

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been having a TV in our main training area for over 5 years however; it is used only for viewing videoed training & sparring sessions. Not for entertainment viewing.

Danny T

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be some kind of new aged technique, used to enhance learning. I always felt that the old way was good. "learn by paying attention, or get your a-s-s handed to ya".
icon7.gif

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you need silence to practice, then you need silence to practice.
Sean

I don't need silence to practice, but to receive verbal instruction, I have to be able to hear it. I'm quite capable of maintaining focus on what I'm doing in lousy conditions (like tournaments), but I can't learn what I can't hear.

phfman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I too am old school but I do appreciate the functionality of some modern media. I have a flat screen TV in the studio but it is never on while active training is going on. It is used to watch playback of our lesson to help the students see for themselves the mistakes they are making. I have found that if they see it from the opposite perspective (mine) they are quick to see the error. I also use the TV w/DVD player to watch any additional training videos that I think the students would learn from. The TV is NEVER on while I am teaching.

Latest Discussions