To be or not to be

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Watching my 40th birthday bearing down on me like a runaway Peterbilt truck and not entirely happy with my life as it stands right now I started making a list (I do this compulsively) of the things I want to be (not have). It made me wonder what things people want that are universal and what are unique to the individual. Here's part of my list - what's on yours?

Good parent/wife/friend
Respected
Loved
A role model for other women
Recognized
Healthy
A published author
Smart
Funny
Listened to
Organized
Less confused about life in general

. . . next question - how do you get there from here?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, how often have I wished for my twenty year-old body back? Ah, my twenty-year old body WITH keeping my 43 year-old mind. Damn, I'd rule the world man. :uhyeah:
My list? compared to yours I think...
Good parent/husband/friend... already there with the exception of the husband/parent part... :D Not to say I didn't practice time and again :uhyeah:
Respected: Gotta ask the more important specifics here of that one... by whom? Friends and family and your peers? I got that too, not by 15 minutes but 15 + years. Also not on a grand scale. People are happy to see me and that tells me a lot. Far as the rest of the world... I'm a human being, treat me like one and we'll get along jes fine.
Loved: I count my friends and my family and I know this I got. The individual love from one person?? Well that's still in the wings I reckon... *ahem* ladies??
A role model for other men: :idunno: why me? There's plenty of other (more successful) guys for other men to emulate. Now kids however, I'll try to be the best Role model I can be... they're the future.
Recognized: Por que? Not me. Don't need it don't want it... except for simple acknowledgement of what I've done/contributed.
Healthy: Stay in MA
A published author: Me too... wow cool.
Smart: That.
Funny: Been told that.
Listened to: would LOVE that...wait a tic... ya'll are doing that right now ain't cha? heh :D
Organized: not always successful here.
Less confused about life in general: heh... gooood luck ... :lol:

Oh yeah, "how to get from here to there? (...because you're not THERE you're HERE... :D )
Keep doing what cha been doing, just open your eyes a little more and see the forest for the trees. You're headed there anyway... put on your shades, enjoy the ride and make the best of it. :ultracool

OP
Fightback2

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks MAC. I think I have most of the things on my list and I'm working at getting the rest of them. I just wanted others' thoughts on what they wanted.

Anyway, you brought up some good points - respected by whom - very good point. Thinking on that one. 'cause you can't please everybody all the time.

What genre are you trying to be published in? With grammar like that I'll go far. :)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fightback2 said:
Watching my 40th birthday bearing down on me like a runaway Peterbilt truck and not entirely happy with my life as it stands right now I started making a list (I do this compulsively) of the things I want to be (not have). It made me wonder what things people want that are universal and what are unique to the individual. Here's part of my list - what's on yours?

Good parent/wife/friend
Respected
Loved
A role model for other women
Recognized
Healthy
A published author
Smart
Funny
Listened to
Organized
Less confused about life in general

. . . next question - how do you get there from here?
Those sounds good to me.... I think the first step is having your list, and knowing what is important to you, and keeping it in your mind. The choices you make will allow some or all of them to follow.

I think starting with "healthy" and "good parent/wife/friend" is the best start, and the others will follow. Take care of yourself and the people you love.

Except for "organized". I am one of the last people to give advice on that. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions