TKD in Karate Out

OP
B

BaiKaiGuy

According to the article, the steroid controversy seemed to loom large in the mids of the IOC voters. Not sure what reason they gave for not admitting Karate, the only thing I can think of would be the fact that it's quite similar to TKD.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems simple enough. Just let Karate guys fight under TKD's umbrella.

OP
J

jkdhit

they should have it open to all ma's that involve some sort of belt rank :p

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Seems simple enough. Just let Karate guys fight under TKD's umbrella.
Well, a karateka could compete in it if desired, right? You don't need a TKD black belt to compete?

OP
T

TKDKid

Would you not have to be a member of the WTF to compete? I don't know how the Olympic rules work.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I am sure there are qualifying tournaments in order to get on the olympic team. You would probably have to be a member of the organization that hosts the trials, unless it is an open tournament.

While I don't think you technically need to be a black belt in TKD, why wouldn't you go get TKD training before trying to compete in TKD at the olympic level? If you are that serious, then you will be training in TKD methods for a few years: long enough to earn a black belt in TKD.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well yes you have to be a TKD BB and it has to be through USAT or the Kukkiwon if not can't be on the team. No AAU or ITF or USSSA or KTA or any other organization. It is a pity that one holds the rights to the TKD portion, it is more of who you know than how good you are with them.

Terry Lee Stoker

OP
B

BaiKaiGuy

As an aside, my school is very much interested in Beijing 2008. Sifu's been reading up, and it appears forms will be the order of the day for WuShu right now. This ought to be interesting if it's true...