Time To Brew Some Dit Da Jow

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contact them on his website. I am sure you will have to drive a ways but even if you come intermittently that would be very cool!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He is in Kelso, Washington so that is a 3 hr 45 minute drive for you. A long way but if you could do it once in awhile I am certain it would be worth it!

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tried ddj, it has similar effect with cimande oil and both quite cheap to buy. I used to rub it to my arms and legs before and after training just for prevention on muscle problem.
A good cimande oil mixed with citrus can help speedy recovery on muscle and bone problem. The more effective it is the more expensive it cost. The cheapest one only cost about 70-80 cents a small bottle, while the potent one can cost to a range of 4 digits US$ a bottle.
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guys, have you ever heard it used for skin toughening? That was how it was introduced to us back when. I wouldn't be surprised if was just selling us a bill of goods. No matter, it was still fun.....it just stunk to high heaven.

Vodka? I only drink Grey Goose. Hmmmm, that might be interesting.

D

Dylan9d

Im really not familiar with all the states and city's in de USA other than the big city's but ive looked on google for schools in washington state and found

Contact

That Kevin Schmitt, he is a fellow student of mine with Jim Ingram and i trained with Kevin a couple of times when he was in Holland, he is very good.

Not sure about how far that is from you.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Guys, have you ever heard it used for skin toughening? That was how it was introduced to us back when. I wouldn't be surprised if was just selling us a bill of goods. No matter, it was still fun.....it just stunk to high heaven.

Vodka? I only drink Grey Goose. Hmmmm, that might be interesting.

back when I learn sanshou, after training, we used rub ddj on our shin and using a round glass bottle rolling it on our shin to tough it up.
i tried once without using the ddj, and it burn the skin after a while, while using ddj beforehand, the bottle didn't burn the skin.

as for silat school in wash dc, why don't ask the indonesian/malaysian embassy/consulate? from what I heard, they usually know silat schools in the country.
and I found this on the net, might be worth checking out:
www.al-azharsilat.org -->eastern java silat.
Welcome | Silat Martial Arts Academy -->cimande style.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and unfortunately I can't justify traveling 3.5 hours or more for training in a style I dont have a back ground in since I wouldn't want to go home and practice something for a month or two and then find out I've been doing it wrong. If I hada foundation in the art then I would be more incline to do it but unfortunately most of the schools that interest me are on the west side and not the east side of WA state.

I can't answer the question about using dit da jow for conditioning to toughen the hands but i know theirs styles that have Jow's to condition the hands over a period of time but i believe its the actual training that is doing the conditioning and the Jow's are there just to relieve the bruising.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Dale Dugas is a member on this site and is VERY knowledgable about DDJ and sells both premade and herbal kits. There are different jows for different things. Some are more for general bruising, and some are made for things like makiwara training and some for iron body training for areas other than the hands.

Dale Dugas Chinese Herbs and Dit Da Jow!, The Best Herbs at the Best Prices

I have spoken with him about questions and bought premade products from him. He has always been very helpful and sells a great product too.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whereas bruising can be normal, if it increases more than what you would expect for yourself it might be wise to check on a simple blood test that all is ok

JKD55

White Belt
Reaction score
Quick tip, if you plan to boil your Dit Da Jow for preparation make sure you remove the Zhang Nao, Mo Yao, and Ru Xiang, from the boiling process until you are finished, then add those herbs into your jar. These herbs are very aromatic and/or are resin based and their potency will be lost in the boiling. I was taught this by a Master Chinese Herbalist and it has not failed me in the last 20 years of making my Jow. I order mine from eastmeetswest and I ask them to separate those herbs for me and they do it with problems compared to other places. The picture posted by the OP shows the Zhang Nao in a small ziplock bag which is what you want if you plan on boiling.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
b8a7dc952fcc341c8a4bcc1f6918c706.jpg

9db13a7e4a0d9bfaf3759f6f41377cbb.jpg

So are there any other people that brew their own Jow or equivalents of it on this forum?

Never brewed any but it would be fun to try. I even heard that they make Jow that you can eat and use internally. Ordinary Jow you wouldn't want to eat as it would be poisonous and its for external use only but I have heard of the kind you can eat.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
5ac9ef66f7e08d6f05b27847188c2cd2.jpg

I've been brewing the batch for quite some time and went with 100 proof vodka. My only issue was I wasn't able to find a two gallon jar so I'll have to poor this in to the next 1 gallon jug and poor fresh vodka in to the jug that has the herbs and brew it again then mix the two jugs when I go to bottle it.

Since I've had this issue finding 2 gallon jars or jugs I'm curious to see where you guys get yours from I'm about ready to go to a brew shop in hopes that they have a big 2 gallon jug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't make my own but my Sifu does. I can only speak about the Dit Da Jow that I get from him and that stuff works better than the over the counter medicine and lasts longer too. My Sifu has always told us to use to treat bruises, tendon, and ligament damage as a way to kill the pain and promote faster healing. I've heard of people using it as a pre-treatment for iron palm training but I've never heard of it being use to toughen the skin.

Latest Discussions