Time for a new Smartphone

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What's the best smartphone out on the market today?

I've heard decent things about the iPhone, but I'm interested in something that might allow for a little more productivity. I'm often finding myself in having to be the "Guy Friday" for friends and acquaintances, but these days, my Blackjack is slowly showing itself to be an outdated device.

I'd like something that I can do spreadsheets and word docs on. Any suggestions?

What's the best smartphone out on the market today?

I've heard decent things about the iPhone, but I'm interested in something that might allow for a little more productivity. I'm often finding myself in having to be the "Guy Friday" for friends and acquaintances, but these days, my Blackjack is slowly showing itself to be an outdated device.

I'd like something that I can do spreadsheets and word docs on. Any suggestions?

Depends on your carrier mostly. Some carriers only support certain devices.

I have an HTC touch Pro and I love it. It is windows based, comes pre-installed with the entire Office suite (including excel, word, and poweroint), as well as a lot of other good software. You can also buy a program from Best Buy that makes your phone a wireless router to supply internet to other computers. It has a slide open QWERTY keyboard and is very user friendly....best phone I've ever had or could ever imagine.

Only drawback....not too many apps for it yet. The app rollout is a bit slow and I don't think that enough people have them to start open-sourcing cool apps.

Depends on your carrier mostly. Some carriers only support certain devices.

Im with you on this. It depends on who you have as a carrier and if you are willing to switch should you find a phone you like with another carrier.

Being that you said you have the Blackjack, I am thinking that you are with AT&T.

AT&T has a wide selection when it comes to phones. Also, being that AT&T uses GSM you can purchase a phone directly from the manufacturer and slap the SIM card in it and your good to go as well.

I have a iPhone and it offers a lot and I don't have any complaints. I also have a Blackberry Curve and a Blackberry Pearl. Both of those are great as well but I can say I prefer my iPhone over the both of them.

Windows Mobile is a pain in the ***. I suggest staying away from any phone that has Windows Mobile as it's operating system. I am a PC person and not a Mac person but I swear Windows Mobile is just as problematic as any Windows OS on any PC. Stay away!! You have been warned. :)

I'm with AT&T.

I do agree that Windows Mobile has been a pain. However- and while I know it's not exactly the same thing as an iPhone- I haven't been able to figure out how to import and export spreadsheets and other documents for editing on my iPod Touch. That's a major issue for me. If anyone knows how to resolve that, that would make an argument for the iPhone that much stronger. Plus, there's that whole issue of "what if I lose this phone?" On the plus side though, I've found it easy to navigate the web (for a phone) since the screen size is quite big for a phone.

I have seen the HTC Fuze, which I guess is supposed to be an AT&T-exclusive version of the Touch Pro. It seems pretty good, but having a touch screen that small is almost useless. I was asking the salespeople at the local AT&T store, and they didn't seem to know if the Window Office Mobile suite was standard on it.

I was also looking at the Blackberry Bold. Not a touch screen phone, but it seems like it's got a lot of great features. It seems like it handles a lot of the organizational tools I always seem to need. However, it doesn't have the versatility of the iPhone, and the cursor on the rollerball isn't the easiest to manage.

So far, I've had no problems with windows mobile, but that might just be the touch pro....

So far, I've had no problems with windows mobile, but that might just be the touch pro....
Would you say it's a decent productivity tool? I know it's nothing like a laptop, but I get sent documents for proof-reading and editing, and usually, my phone is the closest thing at hand.

Would you say it's a decent productivity tool? I know it's nothing like a laptop, but I get sent documents for proof-reading and editing, and usually, my phone is the closest thing at hand.

I think it is, I use it quite frequently to edit and view excel and word, I've even loaded a ppt presentation on it to review. I like the ability to read e-mails, view the web and the GPS helps quite a bit too. I have started using it as my primary calender also. I know that it will sync with Outlook, but I don't know how yet, and I don't think a DoD computer could do that...

Back