Tiger Claw.

MZH

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have experiance using Tiger (IDC what system) in an ambush or tournament. and does anyone know any good drills ofr using a tiger claw?

thanks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have experiance using Tiger (IDC what system) in an ambush or tournament. and does anyone know any good drills ofr using a tiger claw?

thanks.

Umm... define "ambush" ...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Tiger is one of the animal styles I know. The "claw" is the least of what makes it a fighting system. Find a teacher that teaches a tiger system is the best advice I can give you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for curiosity, what is tiger claw in Kung Fu? In the Hapkido I learned, we learned a basic strike using the curved fingers and forward thumb, and struck the throat with the web finger area. Later we learned to combine a quick hard sqeeze with the thumb and two upper fingers. That can be a hold or a quick release so the hand is again ready for other things.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for curiosity, what is tiger claw in Kung Fu? In the Hapkido I learned, we learned a basic strike using the curved fingers and forward thumb, and struck the throat with the web finger area. Later we learned to combine a quick hard sqeeze with the thumb and two upper fingers. That can be a hold or a quick release so the hand is again ready for other things.

Shape wise... it depends on the school of training as well as application. Most though have your fingers bent at the first two digits & palm extended since that's point of contact.

Put your palm on your jaw like rest your head in your hand & curl your fingers like you're grabbing your face. That's it roughly.

But it's only a hand shape. That's not the crux & heart of what is "tiger claw".

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a couple of videos of an interview with Hung Gar stylist Sifu Sharif Bey out of New York. I've never met the man, but I really love the way he talks about and explains Hung Gar. He starts talking about and demonstrates Hung Gar tiger claw at 8:00 to the end, and he starts off talking about it in the second video.

Last edited by a moderator:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bey Sifu is definitely a go to source of info on the tiger claw from Hung Ga.

XDJuicebox

White Belt
Reaction score
Tiger claw isn't something I would use in a tournament, it's simply too dangerous. I've run into some Hung Ga practitioners who showed me some stuff, and a lot of it was hair grabbing, throat grabbing, even groin grabbing, but not only do they grab, they also tighten, and then rip. Which is really scary in my opinion.

They said to grab using the tendons of the fingers, not the muscles of the forearms. You know how with a bent finger, you can hold a string that is attached to a heavy weight easily? But if you straighten the finger, you can't? That's the same principle.

They also said to drill the strength of your claw by tossing around sacks of beans and catching them with the tiger claw. Hope this helps.

Keramory

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey something I know!
This is a semi old thread but if you're interested in tiger claw look up Fu Jow Pai, which is advanced tiger claw. Theres alot to the "claw" and over a dozen different claws. Some of the above comments are right though, its ment for ripping and tearing. You need to becareful, if your fingers are not strong enough its your fingers thats going to end up injured.