three sectioned staff

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how many of you use this weapon? what do you think of it? it seems to be pretty rare.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use the three sectional staff in our weapons training at my school. Its a pretty advanced weapon so not many students know it as of yet, but we do use it quite a bit. Its a hard weapon to learn, but its also alot of fun.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had a chance to learn more about this weapon since last posting. I really enjoy it, but its not one of my favorites. Its a dangerous weapon and seen used correctly, it is awesome to watch. Its so hard to defend against as well, because each part can move at least to a point independent of the other parts.

7sm

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bet they're awesome for locking...I've never had the chance to play with one.
icon9.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I bet they're awesome for locking...I've never had the chance to play with one.
icon9.gif
Thats one of those things that works better in theory ;)

Static applications yes, but on someone that is activally trying to hit you with a weapon, you're far better off just beating on them then trying something fancy cause it usually doesn't work.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a weapon that is not that easy to learn. There are many movements that when done incorrectly "thump" you.

A beautiul weapon to watch in use by someone who knows how.

My head has more than a few bumps from trying to larn this weapon

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Thats one of those things that works better in theory ;)

Static applications yes, but on someone that is activally trying to hit you with a weapon, you're far better off just beating on them then trying something fancy cause it usually doesn't work.
I train Modern Arnis - I don't seem to have much of a problem with it.
icon12.gif

N

nlmantis

The 3-section is a pretty cool weapon, you can see some good demo of its usage in Master Killer. It is not an easy weapon to learn, I have only played with it for about a year now and have had many bruises and cuts from it. Mine lacks good chains for hand transitions over the chain from stick to stick but is OK for my level. I find it is good when you are very familiar with regular staff, Kali short-sticks and rope. It has features from all of these and it actually allows you to very easily use it long-range, middle-range to short range and short-medium combination. Using it for grappling is beyond me, but some level of hooking and grabbing/locking (between chains) is not too difficult. However it is dangerous as you are committing much of your weapon in a lock or grab, should be ready to back up with at least one hand and footwork.

Anyways sofar against a guy with 3-section I feel pretty confident with a regular 7' waxwood staff, keeping distance and striking from angles. But then again, you cannot really practice with these weapons going all-out..

Love, Peace, Harmony.

Bob.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
nlmantis, I've looked around, and it seems to me that nobody has any manners. Welcome to the board! Thanks for joining in the discussion. Feel free to browse the site, and post anywhere you feel you have something to contribute. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Happy posting!
icon7.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember one guy at my school picking up the three sectional staff and asking why it was padded and not wood? Then he swung it trying to be fancy...

*Whack*

oh... that's why... :rofl:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia said:
I remember one guy at my school picking up the three sectional staff and asking why it was padded and not wood? Then he swung it trying to be fancy...

*Whack*

oh... that's why... :rofl:
I have played with the three sectioned staff some. I actually have three:padded, wood, and metal. Guess which one I mainly use? :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sifu wont let us use a padded one, he says we wont respect it if we start with a padded one. I told him I still would respect it, but he wont let us!

7sm

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
My sifu wont let us use a padded one, he says we wont respect it if we start with a padded one. I told him I still would respect it, but he wont let us!

7sm
Yeah, I prefer using the wooden version but if I am trying to learn something new, I will attempt it with a padded version first.

Especially now since I have max'ed out my dental coverage for the year. :)

N

nlmantis

Thanks for the warm welcome, flatlander! Much appreciated.

On the topic of wooden vs padded, I haven't tried a padded 3-section but from years back doing nunchuks I found you are really not doing yourself a favor starting off with padded weapons. It can negatively impact your technique, which needs to be corrected later (double work). Weight, speed, respect for the weapon etc are all very different. Working with a real weapon teaches keeping it tight/close to your body and in control at high speed and near-perfect transitions since anything less is painful.

Love, Peace, Harmony.

Bob.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched achilles spar one student with a 3-sectional and he had nunchucks. Very interesting! from my safe distance.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nlmantis said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, flatlander! Much appreciated.

On the topic of wooden vs padded, I haven't tried a padded 3-section but from years back doing nunchuks I found you are really not doing yourself a favor starting off with padded weapons. It can negatively impact your technique, which needs to be corrected later (double work). Weight, speed, respect for the weapon etc are all very different. Working with a real weapon teaches keeping it tight/close to your body and in control at high speed and near-perfect transitions since anything less is painful.

Love, Peace, Harmony.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Welcome to MartialTalk as well.

What I have found is that difference in nunchuks and the three sectional staff (TSS) is that the padded TSS that I use is heavier than a TSS made out of wood.

I don't believe that you should concentration a major amount of attention on padded weapons but the main focus should be on safety epecially when you are trying a new technique.

Palusut

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
We are training 3-sectional right now. First and foremost, it isn’t an easy weapon to learn. Initially, I hit myself (shin and back of the head mostly) repeatedly in just trying to do a simple spin. With time you become accustomed to the weapon’s movement and you learn that you and the staff have to come to sort of an understanding. By that I mean that the staff really has to guide some of your movements. If you fight it or force, it will hit you. I can see long hours of practice in my future before I feel really comfortable with it.

Having said all of that, it is a tremendous weapon. In sparring with my son we discovered some of the great usefulness of the staff. It commands range very well. You can be long range (swinging the staff from a single end), medium range (twirling from the middle or holding in an open / closed box [imagine holding two kali sticks and attaching a third stick between them, if the third stick is on the bottom you have an open box, if it is on top you have a closed box], and close range (the boxes again with emphasis on thrusting with the ends).

It is deceptive both in target and in range. It allows you to whip a full swing from high target (head) to low (shin) very easily. In range, once you get proficient, you can quickly switch grips and disturb you opponent’s sense of a safe zone. With a quick switch you can go from a strike zone of ~ 5 feet (length of arm plus length of one section of the staff) to a strike zone of 10 feet (arm plus three sections). This ability opens up a lot of possible strategies / tactics.

It is terribly hard to block because of its flexible nature. If you choose to block one of the sections it usually causes a collapsing action that allows the second section to strike you. I have been hit numerous times by the section I didn’t block even after I had blocked the section I thought was the threat.

Anyway, I think it is a fun weapon to train and will really develop you coordination (or your bruises) and you concentration.

As to padded versus not discussion, the weapons definitely feel different and move differently. However, you have to pad something. Either pad the weapon, or your head / shin / groin. Then again you could just go at it. Pain is an excellent teacher and the short naps you take on the floor might help.

G

GermanMantis

Hi there,

we also have two solo 3-sect.-Staff Sets and one partner form (vs. spear). I've only learned the first solo, but i've seen the second. It's pretty hard when you start doing the figure 8, but you have a lot more respect to that weapon then ;-). This was a realy challenge for a long time in learning during the last years.

Latest Discussions