Thought this fitting for this forum

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.paultastic.com/interesting_winArgument.php

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:

Drink Liquor

Suppose you're at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.

Make things up

Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you're damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: "I think Peruvians are underpaid." Say: "The average Peruvian's salary in 1981 dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level."

NOTE: Always make up exact figures. *(Or list various Authors and Titles)

If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up, too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say "You left your soiled underwear in my bath house."

Use meaningless but weightly-sounding words and phrases.

Memorize this list:
  • Let me put it this way
  • In terms of
  • Vis-a-vis
  • Per se
  • As it were
  • Qua
  • So to speak
You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as "Q.E.D.," "e.g.," and "i.e." These are all short for "I speak Latin, and you do not."

Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say: "Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money."

You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say: "Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D."

Only a fool would challenge that statement.

Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.

You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevent phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are:
  • You're begging the question.
  • You're being defensive.
  • Don't compare apples and oranges.
  • What are your parameters?
This last one is especially valuable. Nobody, other than mathematicians, has the vaguest idea what "parameters" means.

Here's how to use your comebacks:

You say: As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873...Your opponents says: Lincoln died in 1865.You say: You're begging the question.
OR​
You say: Liberians, like most Asians...Your opponents says: Liberia is in Africa.You say: You're being defensive.​

Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler

This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say: "That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say" or "You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler."

So that's it: you now know how to out-argue anybody. Do not try to pull any of this on people who generally carry weapons.

*my addition

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. No one on this forum who argues like that, is there?

Very very funny. Thanks.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey ... I wanna know why you gave these rules to deadhand31, parmajack, and rmcrobertson ;) before you gave them to us...

(Robert, it's a joke ... I'm trying to be fair and balanced)

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Hey ... I wanna know why you gave these rules to deadhand31, parmajack, and rmcrobertson ;) before you gave them to us...

(Robert, it's a joke ... I'm trying to be fair and balanced)
Here, here!

(and yeah - what he said)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You people obviously do not know how to argue.

Let me put it this way...

Like Dr Ghulu said in his 1919 speech to the United Nation Tribunal on International law "Your primary focus should be on the issue at hand"

ergo your Hitleresque tactics to try and get me to argue on your level vis a vie your post, i.e. the responses it generated, is, at best outside the paramaters of good sense.

:asian:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Like Dr Ghulu said in his 1919 speech to the United Nation Tribunal on International law "Your primary focus should be on the issue at hand"

ergo your Hitleresque tactics to try and get me to argue on your level vis a vie your post, i.e. the responses it generated, is, at best outside the paramaters of good sense.

Grrrrr....He beat me to it...

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Alright, well since everything else is taken, I guess I'll take the Drink Liquor approach.

*chugs down a glass of Jack* :drinkbeer

Lemme' tell ya'll 'bout wha I thin 'bout dem damn commies....

(meant for humor only)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol!

A guy I met several years ago used to be on his high school debate team, and was very proud of that fact. He argued for recreational purposes - and ended up driving away the girl he was thinking about marrying in part because of that. Anyways, apparently he would just make stuff up during these high school debates - make up facts and figures out of thin air.

He just likes the sound of his own voice, I think.

I was just reminded of that. Great post.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
lol!

A guy I met several years ago used to be on his high school debate team, and was very proud of that fact. He argued for recreational purposes - and ended up driving away the girl he was thinking about marrying in part because of that. Anyways, apparently he would just make stuff up during these high school debates - make up facts and figures out of thin air.

He just likes the sound of his own voice, I think.

I was just reminded of that. Great post.

Figures do no lie, yet Lying Statisticians sure can figure ;)

I got an A- for a debate in Economics on how the Federal Government needs to be smaller. I had to deal with the issues of cutting the military and Social Security to nothing, and prove why it was the best to do. The other side had good arguements, and so did I. Hence my A- as the team members would not and did not do any research they only spoke in the above examples provided :D.
So, it does make for a heated debate, it doe not mean you accomplish gettign your point across.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

ROCK ON!!!

R

rmcrobertson

Or, you could simply rely on bullying ignorance, a dogmatic insistence on cliches and generalizations, unsubstantiated claims about human nature, and Bible-thumping, and get elected President.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Or, you could simply rely on bullying ignorance, a dogmatic insistence on cliches and generalizations, unsubstantiated claims about human nature, and Bible-thumping, and get elected President.
As compared to bullying intellectualism hmm???

R

rmcrobertson

"Intellectualism," implies that I do not know the material. Regrettably for your argument, I do. But I am perfectly willing to concede the other alternative, a mastery of ignorance, to whoever wants it.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its not the message...its the messenger and method of transmission.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
"Intellectualism," implies that I do not know the material. Regrettably for your argument, I do. But I am perfectly willing to concede the other alternative, a mastery of ignorance, to whoever wants it.
Definition: \In`tel*lec"tu*al*ism\, n.1. Intellectual power; intellectuality.2. The doctrine that knowledge is derived from pure reason.

Bullying Intellectualism= You may very well be "right" but are so bereft of social skill that nobody cares..............

R

rmcrobertson

Well, I certainly see your point. After all, it's extraordinarily offensive to write personal comments about other people's social skills and character....hey wait! I forgot!! I don't write stuff like: "You may very well be "right" but are so bereft of social skill that nobody cares."

Incidentally, your definition of, "intellectualism," is inadequate to your purposes. You need to add in something about the, "ivory tower," quality of intellecutal life in America, and its class assumptions...you know, the same critique of, "pure reason," that Marx made? It'll work a lot better for ya.

I certainly agree that it is easier to read through a text and into its writer than it is to deal with its ideas, its bases in fact, and its implications for one's own thinking and basic world-view.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Well, if nobody else wants to claim it, I will. Better to be a master of something than mediocre in everything.
icon10.gif

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:

Bravo... :asian:

Latest Discussions