Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been there it is a loss to history. :(

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
What a trevesty. Kinda reminds me of those wannabe satanist kids in Europe who burned down those ancient churches. The same childish logic was applied in those instances... Tragic.:angry:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
at 10 years old... he is a lost cause. no rehab. just an evil soul that will get worse with age. but some liberal will think otherwise. hey, here's an idea... let him live with them.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did some really stupid, selfish things when I was 10. We all did. I was just lucky that none of the escapades ever resulted in such a huge mess. At 10 years of age a kid doesn't necessarily understand all of the consequences of his actions. All we know is that he set the fire and he enjoyed watching the temple burn. Does that make him evil? Well hell, I enjoy movies with lots of explosions, I must be Satan incarnate! It is natural to be fascinated with fire. Kids start little fires all the time. I sure did. The problem is that this fire was huge and couldn't be easily contained. But it started small...he didn't go in there with 80 liters of petrol and some Kwikliters. Sure, I think the kid should be punished and maybe have some sit down time with a therapist, but evil? Come on, people.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think he should be forced to rebuild it exactly as it was before, by himself, no matter how long it takes! Even if it takes him his entire life, though it still wouldn't bring back that wonderful piece of culture and history...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he could be mentally ill ........

Shame on you all for condemning a child without even knowing the truth. All you have is a media report and "the police report he admitted he did it".
can you all be so sure?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did some really stupid, selfish things when I was 10. We all did. I was just lucky that none of the escapades ever resulted in such a huge mess. At 10 years of age a kid doesn't necessarily understand all of the consequences of his actions. All we know is that he set the fire and he enjoyed watching the temple burn. Does that make him evil? Well hell, I enjoy movies with lots of explosions, I must be Satan incarnate! It is natural to be fascinated with fire. Kids start little fires all the time. I sure did. The problem is that this fire was huge and couldn't be easily contained. But it started small...he didn't go in there with 80 liters of petrol and some Kwikliters. Sure, I think the kid should be punished and maybe have some sit down time with a therapist, but evil? Come on, people.

+1.

All kids do stupid things. Usually the kids are lucky and nothing really bad happens. I know that I did some stupid things when I was a kid. Building campfires, playing with fireworks etc... and I was lucky and nothing too bad happened.

Two of the kids in my class did the same things, and on a school hiking trip, they were playing with lighters and ended up torching dozens or hundreds of acres of protected flora. It made national news and they were duly punished. It was a disaster but it doesn't mean those kids were evil. They were careless and irresponsible.

Honestly, who here can say that they never did anything irresponsble in their entire childhood, something that might have caused a disaster? If you cannot say that you were holiness incarnate, then the only difference between you and that kid is luck.

In this case, what happened was a disaster but we don't know the full details. I think it is a little premature to call for a lynching.
Oh and an interesting comment from the article: why was a 10 year old boy alone in such a place, and where were the parents?

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of course he could be mentally ill ........

Shame on you all for condemning a child without even knowing the truth. All you have is a media report and "the police report he admitted he did it".
can you all be so sure?

I'm not condemning anyone, just stating an opinion. That's why we're all here right? To share opinions. Not to be looked down on by those who don't share ours...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking down on anyone opinion but is it necessary to use such emotive and in some cases violent language about a 10 year boy?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The kid is 10. What does he know about historical buildings? He may not even be able to conceive of the idea that there WAS a 1487. The average 10 year old knows he shouldn't set fires, but I doubt he had the vaguest clue about what a treasure he was damaging.

On the other hand, where were his parents?

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one of the threads I wanted to add to while I was on my big road trip last month, but couldn't. So first ...

at 10 years old... he is a lost cause. no rehab. just an evil soul that will get worse with age. but some liberal will think otherwise. hey, here's an idea... let him live with them.

D1jinx, this struck me as really peculiar. I don't see what political convictions have to do with this story at all.

And my other point ... I see a hidden blessing to this story. In my city several years ago, two 12yo boys were arrested after beating an 8yo to death with baseball bats. Why? They told police that they wanted to watch someone die. No other reason, and they found their victim at random. So on a deeper level this story may have been good news, in that authorities might have intervened before he became much, much worse. We never know what goes on in parallel universes where butterflies flap their wings at different rates.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think he should be forced to rebuild it exactly as it was before, by himself, no matter how long it takes! Even if it takes him his entire life, though it still wouldn't bring back that wonderful piece of culture and history...

Weather or not he knew it was a landmark or that it was a very old national treasure, he should be punished. I think this is a valid option as quoted.

It will teach him about the consequences of his actions, never too young to start that lesson. It will also teach him the value of hard work, quality craftsmanship, not to mention keep him busy so he can't do it again.