they just dont know

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i didnt say there was damage. i kicked his thigh becuase i was kicked in the thigh once and it made me slow

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know you are going to disagree but I've seen a professional Muay Thai fighter on UFC yes UFC kick a rather large man in the thigh numerous times.

The guy didn't know how to block these kicks and wasn't used to it but it sure didn't slow him down. He got kicked probably around 20 times and had a rather large bruise on his thigh.

He did lose the fight because 20 kicks to your lower leg and thigh each doesn't help lol.

OP
J

J-kid

It all depends on the style of the fighter and who is he up agaist diffrent people use diffrent tools and some tools are stronger to diffrent types of fighting.

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense?

I just stated this guy was a professional and probably can do some damage with his kicks. He was being hit in the thigh and didn't go down, it doesn't really take alot of training to be hit in the face does it?

OP
K

Kirk

Carbon, what kind of kick was it? Straight thrust kick? Straight
snap kick? Roundhouse? What?

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i was told by my MT instructor to never show pain or show that your tired. its to your advantage. i fought my MT instructor once and everytime i threw a kick( right), he would kick the inside of my left. it was so very painful, but i remembered not to show it. it slowed my down but i had to push myself. being kicked in the thigh doesnt cause a major damage that wll prevent you from walking right, but it will make u hurt

OP
D

DireWolf

If you're not trained to take it a good Thai roundkick to the thigh usually drops people. I've even stopped doing it when sparring my friends from other styles because they take maybe two or three then can't move fast enough anymore. I've been to lots of Thai fights and I've seen at least four stopped by a good crunchy thigh kick :)

It doesn't give lasting damage, but most fights don't last that long either. Who cares if he's still feeling it in a week if you've won in four seconds? Some of the thigh kicks I took in Muay Thai I felt for days afterwards...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

That doesn't make sense?

I just stated this guy was a professional and probably can do some damage with his kicks. He was being hit in the thigh and didn't go down, it doesn't really take alot of training to be hit in the face does it?
The match you're describing sounds a lot like Marco Ruas vs Paul "The Polar Bear" Varlans.

In the match with Ruas, he was greatly outweighed by Varlans, but was able to wear him down with MT leg kicks. Until Paul finally collapsed due to his leg being unable to support him. (Took quite a while though if I remember correctly.)

Mark Coleman also took a pounding on his legs vs Maurice Smith, but that fight lasted ages without Coleman going down. Coleman was so exhausted he could barely move due to the fight's length etc, and his legs were bruised, but he never went down due to the kicks, and Smith looked like he was smuggling watermelons in his thighs... Those had to be powerful kicks.

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ya I was talking about the first one you stated with the Polar Bear.

I guarentee that Marc Ruas packs a punch in his kicks. I was trying to point out that just because your kicked in the thigh doesn't mean your so phased you can't move your upper torso.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It shows that, and that a leg kick may not always be enough to put someone down to one knee. If you end up fighting for one reason or another, even if they're not specifically conditioned to block/absorb the blow, there's a possibility that it's not going to do enough to keep 'em from trading blows, grabbing 'ya etc.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

why do ppl who dont kick claim it to be for wooses?
non martial artists i mean.:shrug:

Marquis De Queensbury????

OP
K

kenposcum

I couldn't figure out how to use the quote feature, but Carbon said no real damage can be done with a kick to the thigh. Excuse me, but that's nonsense.
Just the sheer amount of power generated from a properly executed Muay Thai round kick can bring ANYONE who is not trained and conditioned to their knees. I once kicked a drunken miscreant in the thigh as he was preparing to attack and he more or less collasped. One kick, fight over.
Now if the individual is trained (by what, taking kicks to the thigh) then a large part of the pain will be mitigated. Still, as someone else said, it will make even a well-conditioned fighter slower.
An area Muay Thai instructor kicked me so hard in the thigh once that I actually threw up. That was when I decided I needed to add the kick to my arsenal. It works, trust me.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

ya darn tootin is works. but nhb fighters are tough mthfckrs.

OP
Q

Qasim

Originally posted by kenposcum

An area Muay Thai instructor kicked me so hard in the thigh once that I actually threw up. That was when I decided I needed to add the kick to my arsenal. It works, trust me. [/B]

I don't think he kicked you quite that low if you threw up. Maybe the upper thigh area and toward the inside, is what happened.
:erg:

A properly applied low round kick to the thigh can incapacitate your opponent, and it IS NOT exclusive to Muy Thai. You take Kenpo, so you should know that.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A roundhouse kick to the INSIDE of the thigh is more painful. With street shoes, potentialy deadly. The femoral artery can be ruptured with the shoe toe. Look at the fight betwen Dan Severn and Pedro Rizzo. One kick to the INSIDE of Dan's knee was the only contact made in that very short fight. He blew out Severn's knee.

white belt

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly.

I have for ages preaching about taking out the knees in a real fight. Most attackers pay more attention to plummeting you and not enough attention to guard their lower bodies.

Latest Discussions