The Truth About Islam

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of misconceptions regarding Islam have been floating around. Please feel free to discuss what you think of this religion and give some good sources to we can all learn from each other. :asian:

upnorthkyosa

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll start with some questions...Can anyone explain to me the difference between Sunni and Shi'ite muslims? Why did the split occur? How come there is such animosity now? Is Al-qaeda composed of Sunni, Shi'ite or both? How about the Taliban?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
According to my kid (sigh), the split between the Sunni and Shiite came shortly after Mohammed died. The first caliph (the spiritual leader) after Mohammed died was not a member of Mohammed's family. This was OK with some Muslims--the Sunni. Another faction--the Shiites--believed that only a member of Mohammed's family should be caliph. The bloodshed started almost immediately.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a good site from the Sunni Muslim Org. I find Chapter 3 to be very informative.

http://www.islam-guide.com/

Here is an excerpt on teachings on terrorism:

What Does Islam Say about Terrorism?
Islam, a religion of mercy, does not permit terrorism. In the Quran, God has said:

God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (Quran, 60:8)

The Prophet Muhammad used to prohibit soldiers from killing women and children,1 and he would advise them: {...Do not betray, do not be excessive, do not kill a newborn child.}2 And he also said: {Whoever has killed a person having a treaty with the Muslims shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise, though its fragrance is found for a span of forty years.}3

Also, the Prophet Muhammad has forbidden punishment with fire.4

He once listed murder as the second of the major sins,5 and he even warned that on the Day of Judgment, {The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed.6}7

Muslims are even encouraged to be kind to animals and are forbidden to hurt them. Once the Prophet Muhammad said: {A woman was punished because she imprisoned a cat until it died. On account of this, she was doomed to Hell. While she imprisoned it, she did not give the cat food or drink, nor did she free it to eat the insects of the earth.}8

He also said that a man gave a very thirsty dog a drink, so God forgave his sins for this action. The Prophet was asked, “Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?” He said: {There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human.}9

Additionally, while taking the life of an animal for food, Muslims are commanded to do so in a manner that causes the least amount of fright and suffering possible. The Prophet Muhammad said: {When you slaughter an animal, do so in the best way. One should sharpen his knife to reduce the suffering of the animal.}10

In light of these and other Islamic texts, the act of inciting terror in the hearts of defenseless civilians, the wholesale destruction of buildings and properties, the bombing and maiming of innocent men, women, and children are all forbidden and detestable acts according to Islam and the Muslims. Muslims follow a religion of peace, mercy, and forgiveness, and the vast majority have nothing to do with the violent events some have associated with Muslims. If an individual Muslim were to commit an act of terrorism, this person would be guilty of violating the laws of Islam.

:asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Than how do these Islamic schools in the mid-east justify the violent approach they teach? There are probably just as many contradictory readings in the Quran as there are in the Bible.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Doesn't the Koran also call for Jihad? If so, upon who are the followers of Mohammed to Jihad? Maybe this is wrong, but I read that Islam started as a peaceful religion and that the beginning of the Koran is filled with the ideals of peace, then as Islam began to be spread by the sword, the later Koran became more violent.

I wonder if Islam has multiple versions of the Koran just as christianity has multiple versions of the bible?

S

StraightRazor

You dont see a lot of people using Christianity as a tool to whip up soldiers into a killing frenzy. Islam seems to have become a handy religon to do just that. Why and How I cant figure.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
You dont see a lot of people using Christianity as a tool to whip up soldiers into a killing frenzy. Islam seems to have become a handy religon to do just that. Why and How I cant figure.

Christianity has been used to whip people into killing frenzies. Look at the Crusades. The Protestant Reformation. Ireland. Ect...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Doesn't the Koran also call for Jihad? If so, upon who are the followers of Mohammed to Jihad? Maybe this is wrong, but I read that Islam started as a peaceful religion and that the beginning of the Koran is filled with the ideals of peace, then as Islam began to be spread by the sword, the later Koran became more violent.

I wonder if Islam has multiple versions of the Koran just as christianity has multiple versions of the bible?
Nobody escaped the Spanish inquisition, and it wasn't all that Spanish.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always heard, for what hearsay is worth, that Shi'ites are the more mystical and ritualistic.

S

StraightRazor

ummmm...I mean "today", if you want to go down the "well your religon did it a few hundred years ago so dont lecture me about what mines doing today" path well I dont know where to go from there.

S

StraightRazor

ummmm...I mean "today". Dont see a lot of Catholics on the news calling for Crusade!! But somehow "Jihad" seems to have to be accepted as tolerance of anothers religon. If priests were actively calling for abortion clinic bombings all hell would break loose "today".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was waiting tables in Dallas, I had several friends who were of the islamic faith. They knew I was Christian but that didn't stop them from being good friends with me. And that is just what they were; good, honest, decent and gentle friends. One of them was a devout follower and he "repented" at the mosque every chance he got for the things that his religion forbade against while he was working waiting tables (handling of pork and other things).
From my interaction with these (and other) true muslims I've no beef with the faith or with the individual people.
There are those who twist the words of their prophet to suit their means. Since they are masters of propaganda (think Gobbels, Himmler, Hitler, Stalin, Castro and Mao) they will find those desiring to express their dissatisfaction with how things are dealt with others in a violent and inappropriate manner, that is often contrary to their proposed beliefs.
Thanks Tulisan for the posting of exerpts of the Quran...
I sincerely doubt that if we were to point out these descrepancies between their so called belief in martyrdom and what it actually says in their Quran that they would even listen. A mind convinced against it's will, is of the same opinion still. These young guys (and women) wanted to believe something and the crafty and wily will find ways to take advantage of it.
:asian:

S

StraightRazor

sorry...I reposted instead of editing. #@$% computer is killing me!!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
...the later Koran became more violent.

The Koran/Qu'ran has never been edited, rewritten, or otherwise changed. It is written in the original Arabic, and (from what I was told by a Muslim friend) Muslims are encouraged to learn to read and speak Arabic so to better understand what is written.

To change even a single word in the Koran/Qu'ran presumes to edit the word of God Himself, and whoever does so is punished in Hell.

There are no "multiple versions." Muslim scholars are very particular on this issue.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
The Koran/Qu'ran has never been edited, rewritten, or otherwise changed. It is written in the original Arabic, and (from what I was told by a Muslim friend) Muslims are encouraged to learn to read and speak Arabic so to better understand what is written.

To change even a single word in the Koran/Qu'ran presumes to edit the word of God Himself, and whoever does so is punished in Hell.

There are no "multiple versions." Muslim scholars are very particular on this issue.

That is very interesting...I figured that since there were corrupted versions of the Bible that stated that Jesus hated people who weren't white, that there must be something similiar occuring in the religion of Islam.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
The Koran/Qu'ran has never been edited, rewritten, or otherwise changed. . . . . There are no "multiple versions." Muslim scholars are very particular on this issue.
Thank you for making this point. This was my understanding as well.

Also, it is a tenet in the Christian belief system that 'Faith Comes Through Hearing, and Hearing the Word of God' ... I was taught this means the teachings in the bible must be read aloud (as opposed to read silently, to yourself) to build faith and belief in the teachings. I also understand that practitioners of Islam believe this facet of religious learning to a greater degree than their Christian cousins. Hearing the Quran read aloud, in its original Arabic is crucial to proper practice of the faith.

Mike

M

MisterMike

Read aloud...to build faith and belief?

Not so. But I have heard this in regards to prayer. In other words, you do not pray without speaking.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You dont see a lot of people using Christianity as a tool to whip up soldiers into a killing frenzy.
Good example - individuals (not "a lot of people", but I think the majority of the Muslim world is also not looking for jihad) who have murdered doctors and bombed abortion clinics, and threaten others.

Not a lot of people, but wackos are out there.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as the Christian world has those individuals who either for personal, financial, or presumes spiritual gain will do muder, destruction and other harm, so does Islam.

Christian intollerance is at par with Islamic intollerence.
Both religions share a common root, are good moral guidelines for living ones life, and are positive directions. Unfortunately a small portion of those claiming to follow them do harm.

Latest Discussions