The small, Medium and large circles

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Overweight people are often very flexible. Question remains if they know own how to do those kicks or have strength to do it. But flexibility has nothing to do with weight except I personally seen more flexible people among those overweight in my country / area.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a real world self-defense situation, I take a look at the pants and the shoes. People who can do flexible kicks like to wear clothing that allows them to do those type of kicks. The day that someone round house kicks me in the face while wearing skinny jeans is the day that I'll be truly surprised.

The best kicker I ever met had huge horse legs, so he couldn't wear jeans anyway. He always wore heavy steel-toed boots, but his head-height kicks were still blindingly fast. And a front could switch to a round in a flash.

Hence I prefer to move my *** rather than try to be clever with a kick catch or something.

People who wear sagging pants are also less likely to do any flexible kicking techniques.

Fortunately, that is one trend that has not caught on on this side of the world... :asshat:

After you spar with a few people that kick, you'll start developing a feel for the maximum height that kick will be.

After sparring with them for a bit, sure. I don't think we should underestimate someone we've never seen before and know nothing about though.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just think it's applied against the wrong type of kick.

Especially the chunner guys footwork. Seems odd. He doesn't appear to have an option to back him up if was against a beast of a kicker, or if god forbid things don't go his way. Even his angle seemed odd for that technique or application.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
---I'm coming to this thread a bit late, and not sure that Phobius' comments were addressed.

My worries on this video of yours is for the medium circle on his punching arm (2:22) you push his hand/arm. In doing so you actually give him force to circle around you in same way and punch you while you are doing medium circle to push his arm. The reason it seems to work is because he stops moving his arm when you stop doing the circle.

---This is prevented by making the circle more of a spiral. It should be traveling in, not outward. This way the opponent is hit as he is being deflected.

Try and train this circle while he attempts to come around and do a circular punch on the side at the moment when you start pushing his hand in a circle. Such an attempt would in my view land with a punch to the face instantly.

---This is why you go in as you circle...spiral. You are hitting him, which slows his own strike down a bit. And you should always have your backup hand in place to deal with a possible punch. Cover high line and low line at the same time.

---Mike's video did help me to realize one thing though! One of the differences I see between Wing Chun and Weng Chun is which circle is used more often. In general, Wing Chun uses the small circle quite a bit. In general, Weng Chun seems to put more emphasis on the medium circle. At first this seems contradictory because Weng Chun likes to work in pretty close, we try not to stay at arm's length. But what makes the medium circle work is the spiraling action I mentioned. Weng Chun uses the idea of "Yi Do Sau." This means doing blocks/parries with the portion of the arm from the mid-forearm to the elbow. We do not use the wrist area and palm to block/parry nearly as much as Wing Chun. Hence there aren't as many Huen Sau's (which primarily use the small circle), and there are no Pak Sau's! By using the proximal part of the forearm as the blocking surface and this spiraling action with the circle....the technique has more forward pressure and goes into the opponent and converts quickly and naturally to a strike. Hope that makes sense!

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
As always I like your way of putting up so many theories and aspects of training on YouTube. Therefore it feels so bad to not be agreeing with them and speak up about it.

My worries on this video of yours is for the medium circle on his punching arm (2:22) you push his hand/arm. In doing so you actually give him force to circle around you in same way and punch you while you are doing medium circle to push his arm. The reason it seems to work is because he stops moving his arm when you stop doing the circle.

Try and train this circle while he attempts to come around and do a circular punch on the side at the moment when you start pushing his hand in a circle. Such an attempt would in my view land with a punch to the face instantly. Do you know anything in regards to above demonstration that would prevent such a thing? Especially given that your arm just became weak due to the circular movement and will be unable to circle back upwards to deflect the punch.
You would apply the circle when he makes the commited move not before hand,so he can use the momentum against you.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
---I'm coming to this thread a bit late, and not sure that Phobius' comments were addressed.

---This is prevented by making the circle more of a spiral. It should be traveling in, not outward. This way the opponent is hit as he is being deflected.

Try and train this circle while he attempts to come around and do a circular punch on the side at the moment when you start pushing his hand in a circle. Such an attempt would in my view land with a punch to the face instantly.

---This is why you go in as you circle...spiral. You are hitting him, which slows his own strike down a bit. And you should always have your backup hand in place to deal with a possible punch. Cover high line and low line at the same time.

---Mike's video did help me to realize one thing though! One of the differences I see between Wing Chun and Weng Chun is which circle is used more often. In general, Wing Chun uses the small circle quite a bit. In general, Weng Chun seems to put more emphasis on the medium circle. At first this seems contradictory because Weng Chun likes to work in pretty close, we try not to stay at arm's length. But what makes the medium circle work is the spiraling action I mentioned. Weng Chun uses the idea of "Yi Do Sau." This means doing blocks/parries with the portion of the arm from the mid-forearm to the elbow. We do not use the wrist area and palm to block/parry nearly as much as Wing Chun. Hence there aren't as many Huen Sau's (which primarily use the small circle), and there are no Pak Sau's! By using the proximal part of the forearm as the blocking surface and this spiraling action with the circle....the technique has more forward pressure and goes into the opponent and converts quickly and naturally to a strike. Hope that makes sense!

Where did you learn Weng Chun?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's my concern as well. To assume that your opponent doesn't know how to borrow your force is not realistic. I found out this the 1st time by luck. Long time ago, my opponent gave me a hard block. When he did that, since his head was open, I borrowed his force, added into my force, rotated my arm, and gave a nice hay-maker hit on the side of his head. Since then, instead of waiting for such opportunity. I always threw a punch and let my opponent over committed block to open himself up. In order to prevent my opponent from doing this to me, I always use a "counter-clockwise wrapping" followed by a "clockwise downward parry". This way I can interrupt his haymaker if needed.

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok good. I hear his pole is very good. That's his specialty. I have a good friend who used to train with Michael Tang from Brooklyn so I'm very familiar with Weng Chun.

Latest Discussions