The Sjambok

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not responsible for someone else's use of an excellent weapon. The fact it WAS used during Apartheid only demonstrates the sjambok's effectiveness.

You are responsible for posting up pictures of people who were victims however.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not familiar with shambok yet, however I am very familiar with short cossack volchatka whip and I can say that with some skill this tool is extreamly effective both as defense and asault weapon

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nothing comes close to the sjambok. It's the perfect compromise between the bullwhip, the staff & the billy club. Length, speed & power. Its got it all.

The Mighty Sjambok

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,163
  • sjambok.jpg
    sjambok.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,052
  • images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nothing comes close to the sjambok. It's the perfect compromise between the bullwhip, the staff & the billy club. Length, speed & power. Its got it all.

The Mighty Sjambok

Then, I have a Sjambok on steroids - collapsible aluminiun cane! Similar in some respects with extra weight and impact capabilities. Not exactly a Sjambok but a related weapon

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I respond with this question: Has anyone here been stuck with a full force lash from a 42" sjambok? The pain is with no exaggeration PARALYZING. It's possible to shear off fingers & break bones if struck with enough force.
That's nice and all. But it doesn't answer my questions.

Ask James Loriega, he's an instructor inn the Trece Cortes eskrima system.
James is a friend of mine. My copy of The Scourge of the Dark Continent is autographed with a personal message. I just saw him again a few weeks back at CombatCon in Vegas where we both taught. That reminds me, he was supposed to send me a copy of one of his slide presentations. I'll have to ask him about that.

The weapon can be reversed & the handle used as a club. Ask a SA police officer how effective the sjambok is. It all comes down to the skill of the weilder. A master can easily kill with it. A complete beginner can leave bleeding gashes. Once you've felt it's searing pain you will have no further questions I assure you. Until then debating is pointless.
So, what you're saying is that you're unwilling to answer questions about your expertise with the sjambok, where you trained and who with, nor are you willing to answer questions about your training and expertise in either the knife or guns? As an alternative, your plan is to say, "unless you've been personally beaten with a sjambok I won't discuss it with you." That's your plan?

Anyway, I'm off to go ask James to PM me that slide presentation. Thanks for reminding me. I'll be back after I send him the reminder. Tah.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sjambok is alot like the nunchakus. Unless you train w/ it it isn't a totally practical idea for self-defense. If you train w/ it & learn how to effectively use it the it is most certainly an excellent weapon.

Here's a response I got from Jim K. who is a professional self-defense instructor to police & military personnel:

YES! Sjambok is VERY effective. Lynn Thompson tells stories of using the
Sjam in fighting - holy cow the damn thing is devastating. I too could
tell stories of light taps that end fights. The IDIOT you speak of is
thusly so, let'em rant and rail... their own ignorance betrays their
cause. Sjambok is so, so effective it should be banned, it does
THAT MUCH damage - yikes!!

It is the best of saber, the stick, the whip and the cane all in one
package. It's unique aspects produce surprises in the results (wounds)it
makes, the Sjambok does a type of damage rarely seen in "normal" weapons
use. It has a rather unique hydrostatic shock effect that must be seen
to be appreciated.

If you need to or want to hear more of this just call me and lets talk
for 15 min... otherwise I be writing you a small book! Speaking of
books, have you or the other fellow read Loriega's book on Sjambok
usage? (I wrote the forward ) -- SCOURGE OF THE DARK CONTINENT
https://www.google.com/search?q=scourge+of+the+dark+continent+book&ie=utf-8&oe=u
tf-8

OK, hope this helps some!
JIM K
You already posted this once: The Sjambok

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are responsible for posting up pictures of people who were victims however.

All the pics do is clearly demonstrate the sjambok's effectiveness. I'm not asking for your opinion on the morality of the sjambok's use, I don't care. James is one badass little dude. I'd love to spend a few minutes with him. His level of martial knowledge is incredible.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you be a bit more detailed on where you're coming from on this subject? What is your experience with the sjambok; who trained you and who have you trained with? What is your experience and training with the knife? What is your experience and training with handguns?

Some of the things that you're writing elevate the sjambok far past what my experience tells me are its capabilities, particularly in relation to what my experience tells me of the capabilities of the other weapons you've specified. I can't tell if you're an excited new student with limited experience regarding the weapons being referenced or if you just have a hard-on for the sjambok and, in your zeal, have put on blinders related to the limitations of the weapon.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

My "training" is real life situations where if I had had a sjambok numerous people would be living with some serious scars. It doesn't take too much "training" to know how to lash someone with a sjambok. Precision with the sjambok most certainly does take training. Precision enables the weilder to shear off an ear or nose tip or permanently blind an eye. That isn't always required in most SD situations. I am nowhere near ^ that level....yet. Mr Loriega himself might not be that accurate. I don't know. I'm sure some men are, particularly in Trece Cortes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "training" is real life situations where if I had had a sjambok numerous people would be living with some serious scars

So, you haven't actually trained with it. You've seen situations where you've thought 'oh if only I'd brought my sjambok and had some training I'd really show them who is the baas'. :D:D:D

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I NEVER said that. I've been training with the sjambok for almost a year now. It's just nowhere near as fun to train with as my "Karotty Nummchucks". If only it were concealable...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I NEVER said that. I've been training with the sjambok for almost a year now. It's just nowhere near as fun to train with as my "Karotty Nummchucks". If only it were concealable...

Mmm you did you know, I quoted it.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If Bruce Lee had started out using the sjambok as he planned to in his next project THE GREEN BAMBOO WARRIOR weapons like the nunchaku probably would have been lost to history as it was unknown to the western world until Lee resurrected it. Unfortunately for the nunchaku it takes months of daily training to become proficient enough to use it in SD.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My "training" is real life situations where if I had had a sjambok numerous people would be living with some serious scars.
The ability to inflict "serious scars" isn't the same thing as the ability to stop a determined attack. It is conceded the the sjambok splits open skin like rotten tomatoes. Nevertheless, there are any number of instances where pain and otherwise "superficial" injuries simply aren't enough to stop an attack. And, all that aside, you still haven't answered the questions: What is your experience with the sjambok; who trained you and who have you trained with? What is your experience and training with the knife? What is your experience and training with handguns? You suggested that the sjambok is a superior weapon to both of those yet offer little evidence other than "the South African police use it so it must be awesome" and "because I say so." Well, the evidence is that the South African police use it because it inflicts a lot of pain and people are afraid of pain. That just leaves your say-so as to it being superior to other weapons. So I want to know why I should take your word on it.

It doesn't take too much "training" to know how to lash someone with a sjambok.
It doesn't take much training to hit someone with a stick either, nor to stab someone with a knife. To use the tools in a developed martial system, on the other hand, does take time, training, and effort.

Mr Loriega himself might not be that accurate. I don't know. I'm sure some men are, particularly in Trece Cortes.
The question isn't about James' skill. I'll vouch for him all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. The question is about whether or not you have the skills, training, and experience to make the pronouncements which you are making. Stop throwing out James' name as if it gives your claims some sort of legitimacy. To the best of my recollection, James hasn't made any claims of superiority of one weapon over another in reference to the ones which you've discussed, though he does have a particular affinity for the Spanish clasp knife.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I NEVER said that. I've been training with the sjambok for almost a year now.
Almost a whole year, huh?
animated-smileys-rolleyes-07.gif

It's just nowhere near as fun to train with as my "Karotty Nummchucks". If only it were concealable...
Look, no one is saying that the sjambok isn't a neat weapon with some very interesting applications. Nor is anyone saying that it's not worthwhile to explore. The problem that most seem to be having is your apparent claims that the weapon is superior to everything else because "South African police!" Oh, and "because I say so." From what place of subject matter authority do you speak?

Latest Discussions