Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to remember this is Judo not BJJ and stop shouting instructions at the television! So disappointed at one of the Brits, we were sure he'd get out of the hold but he didn't, we were shouting like mad at him to shrimp etc.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After the first day Brazil and Japan are having a good showing...

I wonder if there is some crossover with BJJ and Judo that makes Brazil a top competitor in the sport?

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if there is some crossover with BJJ and Judo that makes Brazil a top competitor in the sport?

Judo is huge in Brazil, some say it is still bigger than BJJ... The Olympic version does not cater to the ground game since any delay in play will force the stand.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Judo is huge in Brazil, some say it is still bigger than BJJ... The Olympic version does not cater to the ground game since any delay in play will force the stand.

Do a lot of BJJ schools in Brazil also teach Judo? This is actually fairly common here in Hawaii. Relson Gracie isn't doing that, but a lot of his students also teach and compete in judo in their schools.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a lot of BJJ schools in Brazil also teach Judo? This is actually fairly common here in Hawaii. Relson Gracie isn't doing that, but a lot of his students also teach and compete in judo in their schools.

Judo here I believe is a stand alone, they don't teach anything else. I could imagine Brazilians not doing a lot of Judo, between football and BJJ I don't know if they do much else lol.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to Marti Malloy of Team USA for earning the Bronze in the Women's 57kg!!!

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It looks like Kayla Harrison will be going for the Gold in the Women's Half Heavyweight division later today. She just defeated Mayra Aguiar of Brazil. Good Luck to her!

Fyn

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like Kayla Harrison will be going for the Gold in the Women's Half Heavyweight division later today. She just defeated Mayra Aguiar of Brazil. Good Luck to her!

Fyn

via arm bar too :) she is the current world champion and looking strong

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
so excited for her and for USA - judo was my first and favorite MA.
She is terrific, now if I can just figure out how to see the match - local
cable provider is having 'problems'.
Are any Olympic events on YouTube after the medal competitions?? anybody know?
thanks

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never knew her back story about being abused by her old coach its great how she overcame it all

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never knew her back story about being abused by her old coach its great how she overcame it all

I heard her story on NPR yesterday morning. It was truly touching that she came from not only nearly giving up on judo, but giving up on everything. My eyes are starting to water up again. So what does she want after winning gold? She wants 7,000 girls across the US to sign up for judo. I hope that happens.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final was an emotional one for both girls, the British Judoka lost her mother a while back who had introduced her to Judo. Both worthy finalists and showing what fine stuff the women are made of.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Harrison is the best female Judoka in the world and it was great to see her be the first person to win the gold for the U.S.! Good showing for the U.S. Team bringing home two medals :)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kayla Harrison showing technique

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions