The obcenity that are golf courses

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To put it up front:
I don't mind golf courses on principal. They do beat a lot of other alternative for land use and are for some people the only grass they will ever have under their feet.

But for crying out loud:
Do they have to turn every desert into a lush green oasis?
Yes, money can move a lot of mountains, but it can't make it rain. Turf grasses use ungodly amounts of water and fertilizer to be that green, things you don get in your average desert.
Large parts of the south west have been in drought conditions for years now. And yet, the greens are extremely so.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Large parts of the south west have been in drought conditions for years now. And yet, the greens are extremely so.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Greens fees in Phoenix in February are $155, M-Th at WIldfire, which isn't even that good a course......goes up 20 bucks for the weekend....and they're like that.Public courses are like $90.

I'm not even going to get into Vegas.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They need every penny off the fees to keep the water piped in....

I am waiting for the day they are tapping the rivers out east, because all their sources are drained.

I hear that some mid-western states are close to running inot trouble with dwindling ground water sources to irrigate the fields....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
George Carlin talked about how it's NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)... he said that the land(s) used for golf courses could be used to build prisons which are over-crowded but who'd want a prison in their neighborhood? Property value on houses around the courses goes up. As Elder pointed out it's about money... money money money.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, we don't need that many prisons...

But sheesh, I know a nice green golf course looks pretty, but putting that thing in the desert is crazy. Kind of like those huge water features in Vegas (I heard they lose 4 inches a day due to evaporation...)

We have been having near drought conditions in the South east here for a while too, the amount of water wasted on such frivolties is just mind blowing.