The NRA Convention is in my city.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The NRA isn't perfect (at least IMO) by a long shot but who else is out there that really accomplishes much...GOA? JPFO? They don't have anywhere near the membership, the money, or the "pull" that the NRA does.
While I do not agree with all of the decisions they make, I'm glad we have them and it does seem that they are getting better when it comes to working to protect more than just "grandad's duck-gun."

just my $0.02
I would tend to agree. I have no idea who the GOA or JPFO is. The NRA is a household word. And believe me, I've seen it, this event was huge. This was not some ricky-dink little gun show thing, it was a world class event. Celebrity personalities, politicians, "booth women", interactive displays, the whole nine yards. Nothing less than top notch marketing (evidently, companies were hoping to get major contracts out of this -- perhaps contracts with governments, who knows).

Man that Glock felt perfect in the hand. One of the bosses at work told me that it has no external safety, though. Pity.

People who are "in the know" about these things should communicate with leaders in the NRA, making their ideas known to them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, after all.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You need to go here if you are not already a member: www.mdshooters.com

:flammad:When the NRA grows some balls like the JPFO, then maybe I'll rejoin. They have become an organization of compromise. The last straw for me was the last time that I went to buy ammo from a local dealer, that happened to be a NRA state representative for Maryland. He told me that I couldn't buy the ammo unless my personal information was logged into a book that was handed over to the county police monthly. He told me it was mandatory, I told him to piss off. There was not, and there is not, a law on the books in my county, that requires my information to be recorded for ammunition sales. He was doing this at the request of the county police, with whom he had a contract to outfit their department with new handguns. He would sell out the people he represented for financial gain. This same guy was also indicted this year for illegal gun sales and failure to properly log HUNDREDS of acquisitions and dispositions into his bound book. This guy is a tool, and deserves what happens to him.

You may ask why am I so bitter over this petty matter? Well, a few years back, when the liberal general assembly was trying to make it impossible to buy a handgun in Maryland, the NRA lobbied that certain provisions of the bill be removed. One of those provisions removed had to do with ammo purchases and ammo logs. We the citizens of Maryland, were told that this was the best that we could hope for. We traded background checks, waiting periods, limits on the quantity and types of handguns that we could buy, for the freedom to purchase whatever ammo we wanted without question. We were f'ed in the A, and told to like it.

We lost. The NRA didn't help, they still don't help. In my opinion, they have a prejudice against "black" guns, or the so called assault weapons. If the libbers and the extreme left wing of the democrat party were trying to go after the o/u shotgun and the browning A bolt, then they may try and help. But for now, it's renew your membership and be quiet.

Look at their publications, all you will see are pictures of Wayne La Pierre and others with a o/u shotgun broken over their arms. This tells me they are after a certain segment of the gun owning world... hunters and sporting clays/ trap shooters. They don't want the average guy that owns an SKS to have a say.

Rant over, flame on.

Latest Discussions