The Next Senate Majority Leader

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the words of Ricky Ricardo ....

"Senator Frist, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

Senator Frist (R-Tennessee) is the Majority Leader in the United States Senate. He is also a medical doctor. His family began and owns a substantial portion of a publicly held company that runs hospitals around the country.

When Dr. Frist became a Senator, and would be involved in creating legislation that could affect the family business, the assets of his stock portfolio were placed into a 'Blind Trust', over which he was supposed to have no knowledge and no control. This is a common practice to keep legislators from taking actions that might directly benefit them. Or, at least to prevent the appearance of such a 'conflict-of-interest'.

Earlier this year, Senator Frist directed the Administrator of his 'Blind Trust' to sell off all the assets in HCA, (the family business), including those held by his wife and children. A few weeks after this request, HCA gave guidence to investors that future performance may suffer due to increased services to the uninsured. The stock price dropped substantially.

This has the appearance of 'insider trading'. Perhaps, it is not on the same scale as Ken Lay of Enron. But, we are not too distant from that event.

Will Senator Frist survive as Majority Leader?

Will Senator Frist survive in the Senate?

Will Senator Frist be able to launch his much anticipated Presidential Campaign?

Who will the Senate Republicans pick next as their Majority Leader?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
You need more than this to take down a Republican. He'll weather the storm.
I agree with this... I'm sure he is rather well insulated... despite the fact that the initial post makes his position look REALLY bad.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well ... "lying" was enough to take down Martha Stewart ... I'm sure taking down a Republican Man will take much, much more.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Well ... "lying" was enough to take down Martha Stewart ... I'm sure taking down a Republican Man will take much, much more.

Ms. Stewart is a Democrat (believe it or not ... who'da thunk).

arnisador said:
You need more than this to take down a Republican. He'll weather the storm.
Technopunk said:
I agree with this... I'm sure he is rather well insulated... despite the fact that the initial post makes his position look REALLY bad.

There's more ... much more ... if anyone is interested ;)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The question is, was Frist involved in producing legislation that would've affected the cost/earning of the assets in the 'blind trust'.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, like Cheney's energy task force...

*Ducks as black helicopter flies overhead*

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Ms. Stewart is a Democrat (believe it or not ... who'da thunk).
Yep yep yep, Hence My Capitalization Emphasis. :ultracool
michaeledward said:
There's more ... much more ... if anyone is interested ;)
Tell us, Mr. Mike, Tell Us!!! :ultracool

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Yep yep yep, Hence My Capitalization Emphasis.
Tell us, Mr. Mike, Tell Us!!!
In January 2003

Senator William Frist said:
"Well, I think really for our viewers it should be understood that I put this into a blind trust. So as far as I know, I own no HCA stock"
"I have no control. It is illegal right now for me to know what the composition of those trusts are. So I have no idea."
This all sounds, exactly as it should ... at least from my inexperienced eye & ear. But, if to his knowledge, he didn't know what he owned for HCA stock, why did he 'order' the sale in June? Incidently, Weeks before a 9% drop in the stock price. Hmm ... well ... it seems Senator Frist received regular updates on his Blind Trust.

Associate Press said:
But documents show that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist knew quite a bit about his accounts from nearly two dozen letters from the trust administrators.
Frist, R-Tenn., received regular updates of transfers of assets to his blind trusts and sales of assets

Point 2 - Medicare Fraud ... and Investigation.

HCA paid $800 Million as partial settlement for criminal activity concerning Medicare. In 2002, the Wall Street Journal reported that the fraud activities could result in an additional 2 Billion dollars. HCA stopped participating in United States Justice Department Depositions unless the targets of possible criminal investigations are identified (Boy, wouldn't that be nice to be able to do).

Does anyone recall when Dr. Frist became Senate Majority Leader? Early 2003.

What has happened to the Justice Department investigation since then? Hmmm... Seems HCA is pretty well connected, not only to Frist, but also to W. Bush.

http://www.polarisinstitute.org/corp_profiles/public_service_gats/corp_profile_ps_hca.html

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I now have a very large knot on my head from banging it against the wall in frustration.

When will those in Public Service again be worthy of our trust?

... and they wonder why I drink...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Administrator Note:
Several posts were removed from this thread due to their content.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Several posts were removed from this thread due to their content.
We need a rule against discussing politics and religion in The Study. That'll keep things civil!

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
We need a rule against discussing politics and religion in The Study. That'll keep things civil!
Definately. We should have a rule against:
...the serious discussion of non-martial arts topics including world events, social and political issues, or other items not covered in the other forums.
:lol:

======================================================
Anyway, this topic sounds like a simple game of political 'gotcha'.

No member of the DNC will let this slip by without a serious stab at taking down Sen. Frist.

We'll just have to wait and see if this develops into a massive media frenzy. That is the best indicator of whether or not a Republican is about to lose his/her Office.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Will Senator Frist be able to launch his much anticipated Presidential Campaign?

While this is somewhat off-topic...

Does anyone seriously think Frist stands a chance of gaining the Republican candidacy over McCain or Guliani??

I certainly don't.

Laterz.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:

Does anyone seriously think Frist stands a chance of gaining the Republican candidacy over McCain or Guliani??

I certainly don't.

Laterz.
I didn't think Dubya would get it either ... and Frist has the backing of Big Pharma - that's a lot o' bucks thar.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:

I certainly don't.
Well, he does seem to posess all the common sense of a cow pie. That seems to go a long way. Look the Republican front runners over the past few years. Quail, Bush...

Frist is right up there with his expert medical knowledge "Fear AIDS, for it is transmitted via tears, and toilet seats" then the whole Terri muckup "I never made any diagnosis from videotape. Only an idiot would attempt that." Along with his spineless political stances. Perfect leader muhturil.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely down on Sen. Frist for some of his 'scientific' opinions. And I had such high hopes--not just a non-lawyer, but a physician...

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just realized that we lefties are taking the wrong stance on Frist. Since the right seems to take the temperature of the left and do the opposite, we need to be FOR Frist (so they don't friggin' put him up there).

All hail Frist. All hail Frist. c'mon, mumble with me ...

Latest Discussions