The Highlander series did not only feature Katana techniques

Knapf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you remember Highlander for it's use of the Katana. However, after reading a web article, I found out that the main character Duncan used "more of a reverse edge" Korean defensive style. I couldn't find that article any more but I did find this

The Paddy Crean Stage Combat Conference
Look at the part that says Katana.

"The Niten Ichi Ryu, together with techniques from Korean Gum Do was the basis of the katana technique for the character of Duncan MacLeod on the TV series "Highlander," as choreographed by the instructor, F. Braun McAsh."

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you remember Highlander for it's use of the Katana. However, after reading a web article, I found out that the main character Duncan used "more of a reverse edge" Korean defensive style. I couldn't find that article any more but I did find this

"The Niten Ichi Ryu, together with techniques from Korean Gum Do was the basis of the katana technique for the character of Duncan MacLeod on the TV series "Highlander," as choreographed by the instructor, F. Braun McAsh."
Man, I used to love that show. I have 5 katanas now (among many other types of swords) just in case the kurgan comes for my head!

OP
K

Knapf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can you believe the jian was only featured once in all six seasons ?Once?! Ok. Maybe twice if you count Amanda's spin off.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you believe the jian was only featured once in all six seasons ?Once?! Ok. Maybe twice if you count Amanda's spin off.
Oh lordy I had forgotten about the spin off.

What an abortion that was.

OP
K

Knapf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh lordy I had forgotten about the spin off.

What an abortion that was.
The saving grace was that Amanda's second master/Sifu mentioned(probably lied) that he learned from all the Ten tigers of Guangdong. One of the ten tigers knew Hung Ga which Adrian Paul practiced.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hmm.... while there are Niten Ichi Ryu groups in Canada (where Mr McAsh is from), the descriptions given by the page regarding many aspects of where his teachings came from, as well as the fact that there doesn't appear to be any other mention of Mr McAsh being a member of the ryu, and that there is absolutely nothing in the show that even closely resembles Niten Ichi Ryu whatsoever leads me to question this claim....

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is very little real swordsmanship in stage combat generally speaking. Techniques work because the fight choreographer says do, not because they come from a combat system. It's designed to tell a story and be exciting while keeping actors safe. Swordsmanship as a martial art does just the opposite.

Latest Discussions