The guillotine

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite techniques to use which I call the guillotine because the two hands represent the blade of the guillotine.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
What prevents you from setting yourself up for a trap? You are using two hands for which a single hand of your opponent could block/divert. Leaving him another hand free?

Just a question, not really trained against such an attack using both hands. As such I would not dare say whether it may work or not, just raising a concern out of curiosity.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seems like its trading a movement that would have more power (like a punch or open palm strike to the face and being able to chamber the other hand up to follow up) for a lower percentage strike that ties up both of your hands.

Simultaneous dual attacks like this really require the opponents arms to be controlled somehow since you are committing both limbs, even momentarily. Unlike the double punch technique many lineages do, which have the elbows low and suppressing the opponents arms from above, this double guillotine strike leaves the opponents arms relatively free. In essence, I think you have to be faster than your opponent to make this work, therefore it is risky.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Piedmont. alternating techniques are higher percentage moves. Usually it's easier to generate power with less risk hitting with one hand at a time lie the sequence in the clip below at around 15:30.

The more committed double "throat cutting" movement (Shat gheng sau) does exist in our lineage. It's powerful but a bit tricky to pull off, and you will notice that the strikes are still offset, not thrust out together like an X-block. The resultant movement is almost scissors-like and does not pull the body into a committed forward-leaning posture as seen in the clip Futsao posted. See below at around 17:55.

BTW these instructors do not represent the Assn. I belong to, but their movements are similar, originating in WT.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Piedmont. alternating techniques are higher percentage moves. Usually it's easier to generate power with less risk hitting with one hand at a time lie the sequence in the clip below at around 15:30.

The more committed double "throat cutting" movement (Shat gheng sau) does exist in our lineage. It's powerful but a bit tricky to pull off, and you will notice that the strikes are still offset, not thrust out together like an X-block. The resultant movement is almost scissors-like and does not pull the body into a committed forward-leaning posture as seen in the clip Futsao posted. See below at around 17:55.

BTW these instructors do not represent the Assn. I belong to, but their movements are similar, originating in WT.
I like this guy's teaching style. Even a non-chunner like myself can follow clearly the principles he is showing.

Latest Discussions