The "Battle" Punch or "Arrow" Punch

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "Battle" Punch was put forth as an example of a Pole technique that is exactly like a Wing Chun empty-hand technique. But I see this mostly as a conditioning exercise in preparation for learning the pole, and not something that has a lot of application in its own right. Therefore not an actual "empty-hand" technique. Some say it is a "long range" punch. But when you look at it...when you drop down in that deep stance and punch, your fist barely extends past your own knee. So how can this be "long range"? Does anyone find this useful in real application?

Of note, this exercise is NOT found in Tang Yik Weng Chun Pole training. I suspect it is unique to the Ip Man system.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "Battle" Punch was put forth as an example of a Pole technique that is exactly like a Wing Chun empty-hand technique. But I see this mostly as a conditioning exercise in preparation for learning the pole, and not something that has a lot of application in its own right. Therefore not an actual "empty-hand" technique. Some say it is a "long range" punch. But when you look at it...when you drop down in that deep stance and punch, your fist barely extends past your own knee. So how can this be "long range"? Does anyone find this useful in real application?

Of note, this exercise is NOT found in Tang Yik Weng Chun Pole training. I suspect it is unique to the Ip Man system.

That is NOT what I said. I said 'pole punch'

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Lol 3 examples done wrong.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes sort of. Some factors that generally apply when I train is sometimes you can't train the correct technique and be successful. To body punch you generally don't want to bend forwards at the hip. But you will if you are lazy or your core and legs are week. So to train a good body shot you may benifit from training in that over emphasised position. And then adopt a more natural movement to fight it on.

Otherwise mayweather has a body jab that is similar.

Last edited:

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Trying to find a better example. I dont know why im doing this I dont even practice Duncan Leung lol But i quite like there idea.
at 25 seconds I believe that is training that pole punch. Anyone who does D.L wing chun in real life want to comment ?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Trying to find a better example. I dont know why im doing this I dont even practice Duncan Leung lol But i quite like there idea.
at 25 seconds I believe that is training that pole punch. Anyone who does D.L wing chun in real life want to comment ?

I'd say that's a bit of a stretch! Doesn't look like the pole punch to me!

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say that's a bit of a stretch! Doesn't look like the pole punch to me!

Oh what were you talking about. Its pretty much the same just without the horse stance. The power comes from push/pull. The back hand pulls and the punching hand pushes. Maybe I can find a better example. Or maybe I am thinking about something different to what you are talking about

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh what were you talking about. Its pretty much the same just without the horse stance. The power comes from push/pull. The back hand pulls and the punching hand pushes. Maybe I can find a better example. Or maybe I am thinking about something different to what you are talking about

That sideways or "side body" punch is a typical punch in both Pin Sun and Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun. It is not associated with the Pole at all. When I think about this "battle punch" I'm thinking about what is shown in those videos, where the deep horse stance is a key feature, and punching across your own body from the rear hand is a key feature. After all, it was put forth as an "identical" technique shared by Pole and Empty-hand. At least I thought it was. Wtx needs to clarify what he was talking about.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That sideways or "side body" punch is a typical punch in both Pin Sun and Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun. It is not associated with the Pole at all. When I think about this "battle punch" I'm thinking about what is shown in those videos, where the deep horse stance is a key feature, and punching across your own body from the rear hand is a key feature. After all, it was put forth as an "identical" technique shared by Pole and Empty-hand.

Oh okay. My bad.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That it is not an answer. Are you here to actually participate in discussions or not?

I will participate, once I'm done correcting your wayward verbiage. :D

A pole punch is not a battle punch. I agree with you that battle punches are more of a conditioning exercise (I hated doing them in class!)...and I would also agree that battle punch is not a very good 'technique' (since you seem to think a battle punch was what I was referring to when I said pole punch on the other thread).
A pole punch derives from the standing thrust in the pole form. If you have learned 3 or 4 entire WC versions...and are also studying tang Yik pole methods...I assumed you would know what a pole punch is.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will participate, once I'm done correcting your wayward verbiage. :D

---My bad. I jumped to a conclusion about what you were talking about.

I agree with you that battle punches are more of a conditioning exercise (I hated doing them in class!)...and I would also agree that battle punch is not a very good 'technique'

---I'm glad we agree on something! ;)

A pole punch derives from the standing thrust in the pole form. If you have learned 3 or 4 entire WC versions...and are also studying tang Yik pole methods...I assumed you would know what a pole punch is.

---Not all lineages use the same terminology. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
---Not all lineages use the same terminology. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what the Chinese term is for that move... idk, maybe bil / bui (?)

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not sure what the Chinese term is for that move... idk, maybe bil / bui (?)

Any video out there showing it? Not quite sure which move you are referring to.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Feels like everyone is talking about a different technique and getting confused

Latest Discussions