The Flow Drill

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is inspired by the technical discussion threads started by Rich Parsons.

The Flow Drill

Attacker's role:

Basic pattern:
The attacker throws strikes #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #12 in a continuous sequence. The attacker can use empty-hand strikes, daga, or solo baston.

Defender's role:

Basic pattern (using with attacker using a training daga, defender is weaponless):

#1 Throat cut counter
----------------------
With the defender's left and right hands positioned in the open position, the defender ducks, passes and controls the #1 strike overhead with their left hand, while the defender's right counter strikes the inside forearm of the opponent. The end result will cause the opponent's stike to be passed to the opponent's left side, while the defender's arms will be crossed right over left in the closed position.

#2 Throat cut counter
----------------------
With the defender's left and right hands still positioned in the closed position, the defender ducks, passes and controls the #2 strike overhead with their left hand, while the defender's right counter strikes the outside forearm of the opponent. The end result will cause the opponent's stike to be passed to their right side, while the defender's arms will end in the open position.

#3 Trunk cut counter
--------------------
With the defender's left and right hands positioned in the open position, the defender passes, pushes and controls the #3 strike low with their left hand, while the defender's right counter strikes the inside forearm of the opponent. The end result will cause the opponent's stike to be passed to the their left side, while the defender's arms will be crossed right over left in the closed position.

#4 Trunk cut counter
--------------------
With the defender's left and right hands positioned in the closed position, the defender passes, pushes and controls the #4 strike low with their left hand, while the defender's right counter strikes the outside forearm of the opponent. The end result will cause the opponent's stike to be passed to their right side, while the defender's arms will end in the open position.

#5 Thrust
---------
For low trunk trusts, folllow the #3 counter.
For high throat trusts, follow the #1 counter with #3 footwork (see below).

#12 counter
------------
Follow the #2 counter.

Notes for the basic pattern:
- The left hand of the the defender is the guiding/controlling hand.
- The right hand is the countering hand.
- The basic counter is a slapping strike at first and is used as a introduction to gunting. More aggressive guntings can be introduced later.
- The defender must properly learn to get out of the path of the weapon.
- The defender must pass and push the weapon from themselves and redirect it to the attacker.
- The defender can use this drill to practice their basic footwork patterns.
- The defender should keep hand changes down to a minimum for the drill. For the drill, there should be no hand changes except for transitioning from open to closed, and from closed to open.

Here is a basic defender footwork set for this drill:

Based on the "V" - the point of the "V" is the start and transition point.
----
Right forward takeoff.

---
Transition back, then Left forward takeoff.

Based on "/\" - the point of the "A" is the transition point.

---
Transition back, then take Left retreating step.

---
Transition back, then take Right retreating step.

---
Transition back, then take Left retreating step.

----
- For defensive posture and teaching right "C" step for reset, take Right retreating step.

- Or for a more aggressive posture and to introduce the push step, go from end of #5 position of left retreating, transition left back to apex, then make a right take off.

Though this footwork is not the defacto standard, I recommend trying it because it causes the defender to take all the major 45 degree angles, it teaches the advancing as well as retreating angles, and it can introduce a forward thrusting as well as "C" step footwork in one drill!

Whatever footwork that is chosen must protect the defender and eventually aid the defender to get in a countering position. All suggestions are welcome.

Post Notes:
- In recent times this drill has been reduced to strikes #1, #2, #3, and #4.
- In recent years, using the single cane against empty hand has not been shown much. Angles #1, #2, and #12 are translatable, however, for angles #3, #4, and #5, more care is used to control the back of the stick for passing.
- Please always use the proper training and safety equipment when performing this or any drill.
- This drill can be located in the yellow "Modern Arnis" book by GM Remy A. Presas.

Personal note:

- Please feel free to add to this article.

- I will not demonstrate or illustrate in this thread how the defender can use the knife for the counters, if someone wants that liability help yourself.

Best regards,

Palusut

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do something very similar, but I tend to go for fingertip rakes or jabs to the eyes rather than the forearm hits. A little bit trickier w/ the range, but not terribly so. Fun to play with that drill knife on knife, too.

Cthulhu
babbling...not enough coffee. Yet.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this drill is the same whether attacker and defender both have sticks, or knives, or if defender is emptyhanded. Is that correct? All defenses are passes, not blocks. Do I have that right?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
flatlander said:
So this drill is the same whether attacker and defender both have sticks, or knives, or if defender is emptyhanded. Is that correct? All defenses are passes, not blocks. Do I have that right?

Yes. It all being the same is an important concept in Modern Arnis.

:)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you. I was just shown that one last week, and that's why I asked. It sounded familiar. We started with the agressor doing the 12 point strike pattern and the defender doing reinforced blocks, then moved into this flow drill. I liked it quite a bit.
icon14.gif
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Yes. It all being the same is an important concept in Modern Arnis.

:)
Doesn't that violate the reality that one has an edge and good thrusting point and one is simply a blunt weapon that is dangerous to thrust?
Sean

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Doesn't that violate the reality that one has an edge and good thrusting point and one is simply a blunt weapon that is dangerous to thrust?
Sean

Not when you understand it the way we do in Modern Arnis. We differentiate our body positioning, timing, and mechanics of a technique depending on the situation and tools involved. Knowing the differences of, say, a sword and a stick is vitally important. However, the concepts behind the differences in technique is what is "the same." Professor Presas used to say, "It is all the same!" all the time. He would even say things like, "It is all the same, but if it is a sword, he is cut already!"

To use a practical example, this means that something like my #2 disarm with a throw could work conceptually empty hand vs. stick, stick vs. stick, empty hand vs. knife, etc., etc., however, adjustments would need to be made for each medium.

I hope that makes sense. Good question, Sean.

:asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but anyway...

There is a basic staff form that I've recently learned (the box pattern?) that incorporates 4 movements. I'm really not sure what it's called. I've dicovered that the movements are very similar to the double stick "heaven set". What excites me about this revelation is that I've had trouble with body positioning on the heaven set with trying to generate power on each strike, and this staff form has assisted me in that, since realizing the similarity. Should this be so? Does anyone understand the forms that I'm alluding to?

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi FlatLiner,

For this drill, are you targeting the opponent's left temple, right knee, right temple, left knee?

If so, it is similiar to the single sinawali drill used in Modern Arnis and other FMA(s).

Best regards,

Palusut

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Yes! That's exactly correct.

also,

:confused:

Hi Flatlander,

Much apologies for mis-typing your name. Serves me right for trying to sneak a reply on the clock. :lookie:

Palusut :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No problems at all sir. But, back to the question, in the way I generate power on this staff form, is it correct to translate that across to the double stick heaven set?

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its hard to tell without seeing the execution, but the body positioning might be different with a staff as compared to single or double stick since they cover different ranges.

Hope this answer is sufficient for now. I can answer in a more detailed manner after work.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do this drill and teach it was well.

For complete beginners to this drill, our club teaches without the 5 and 12 strikes. Just the 1, 2, 9 & 8 strikes. Then later we add in the 5 & 12 and 10 & 11, and completely mix it up.

Now I have found, that putting a knife in a persons hand at first makes it easier for them to learn this drill, and then translate it back to the single stick, double stick, or empty hand.

Thoughts on this???? :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I start with the knife too. I find it makes it easier for people to learn it. I also start off feeding a head-level 3,4 then a mid-level 3,4 at first, then vary the strikes later. Eventually it has to be that they can do it with random strikes.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I start with the two head strikes and two trunk strikes as well.

I am reluntant to teach the flow drill at first with the knife since this drill exposes the major veins of attacking arm. I would really have to feel comfortable about a student's background and temperment. Especially when you see that this drill really could be renamed as I call it, "The Universal Can Opener"!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:

one thing that might be different between doing it with knife vs stick (with the attacker having a stick)...
on #1 strike with knife, left hand passes right hand cuts (gunting) - righthand will be more forward than the left. With stick right hand might umbrella/shield the attack left hand will be more forward. same with some of the other ones.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
one thing that might be different between doing it with knife vs stick (with the attacker having a stick)...
on #1 strike with knife, left hand passes right hand cuts (gunting) - righthand will be more forward than the left. With stick right hand might umbrella/shield the attack left hand will be more forward. same with some of the other ones.

I agree Andy, actually, repeating #1 and #2 with the payong and umbrella is the payong drill that the Professor taught as he remembered fondly his Grandfather making them do that drill under the nepa (sic) huts so that they would train to stay low.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
I agree Andy, actually, repeating #1 and #2 with the payong and umbrella is the payong drill that the Professor taught as he remembered fondly his Grandfather making them do that drill under the nepa (sic) huts so that they would train to stay low.

A good solo drill would be to hang a low rope the way boxers practice bob and weave and practice the payong with your footwork going back and forth under the rope advancing and retreating. I find that when new students are right away put with a partner trying to hit them they loose the springing down and up motion and start going only side to side.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
I start with the two head strikes and two trunk strikes as well.

I am reluntant to teach the flow drill at first with the knife since this drill exposes the major veins of attacking arm. I would really have to feel comfortable about a student's background and temperment. Especially when you see that this drill really could be renamed as I call it, "The Universal Can Opener"!

I explain that this is most definitely a drill and not knife fighting in any manner.
I will even show the student that it is easy to counter, by a more skilled opponent. I just start with the knife to get the basic cutting motion. Then I move back to the stick, and train that for a long time before moving to the knife for aything serious.

Good Points though.
:asian:

Latest Discussions