The Experience of Pain

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While packing my things I found this quotation that I had written down. Thought it'd be good fodder for discussion.
"Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. Pain is a feeling -- your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality.
You should stand up for your right to feel pain. But people fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. I guess it's a friend.
~Jim Morrison

Yes, this is the same Jim Morrison of the rock group The Doors.
As I read (and re-read) this quotation I can see that Morrison was talking about emotional and not physical pain. The pain that nearly everyone of us carries inside. Whatever that pain may be. From loss, abuse, or whatever. There are all kinds of pain for all kinds of people.
Does this mean that everyone has some kind of pain going on inside them? Well I did say nearly everyone. There may be a few token human beings on this planet that haven't experienced it or have managed to find a way to get over whatever pain that they've been feeling.
Morrison talks about pain being something that we carry, ("... like a radio" a not so surprising analogy coming from a musican/poet). We become stronger, I believe & from personal experience, from surviving the pain(s) that we feel. I've also learned that no pain is forever, if purged or accepted enough to go on with our lives. from that we get our inner strengths. The ability to face yet another crisis or situation that will be painful to go through. It's a part of life, many times unexpected and unavoidable. But it can be survived.
Your own reality. Indeed, our life's experiences create our own realities. Our joys, our pains, our fears, our hopes all of these make up part of how we see life. I've shared some bits and pieces of my life with various people. For some, they nod and relate to the experience (whatever it may have been), others may shake their heads in disbelief and comment on how surreal it seems. This tells me that my reality may or may not be theirs. My pains are my own but they may have been experienced by others in their own ways. Some have survived, some have survived but not wholly intact, some did not survive at all and took their own lives because they believed that the pain was just too much to bear/carry. How sad. Sad, because in my experience it's simply just not true. Those of you who have lived through your own know what I'm talking about.
I find Morrison's comparisons of death and pain interesting. Particularly since in many ways (from his life and the hard way he lived it) he was seeking death. He sang about it, sang about the pain that's inside of him. His famous scream(s) during certian songs (i.e. "When The Music's Over" was an expression of the pain he felt inside. It's why he considered death to be a friend. A means to end the pain that he was carrying inside of him.
On that point I don't agree with him. While death is an end to pain it's an end to all things that make up our lives, our realities and thus not a friend at all.

For myself, quitting drinking (and using drugs) was a major step in my journey to rid myself of the pains I carried since childhood and my early adult years. I'm now 44 yrs old and because I cleared my head when I was 27 of such mind numbing inebriations I had no choice but to feel the pain that I unknowingly buried from my alcoholism. All of it came up and I thought I was going to die. Oh man. But now most of it (not all of it) has been dealt with and either accepted or simply removed from within me. This has indeed made me a better person because I'm not lashing out at anyone anymore as an ill-conceived means of self-expression. I still get frustrated/angry, I still lose my temper but it's at the "now" not the "then". But even then those occurrances are few and far between.
Going through the pain, experiencing it like when I should have as it happened helped me grow inside and be a better person. The best way I could describe it is like; looking down a long dark hallway full of doors that lead to rooms. Behind each door was a specific pain that I had denied myself. By opening one door at a time, and going inside and taking a hard-look at whatever that pain was/is and dealing with it I was able to open the shutters of the windows and let in the light and clear it out, leaving the room and the door wide open and going down the hall to the next one.
It's a long process but I have opened many doors but have more to go. Yet the experience of opening each makes me a little braver to open the next one. Some of the doors I've opened but shut closed again because at that moment in time I wasn't ready to deal with it. Eventually I will be.
Eventually that dark hallway in the corridors of my mind will no longer be dark, and my life all the more the richer.

I'm not asking anyone to post their own particular private pain(s). They are just that... private, personal and a part of us. Do not give a name to your pains, but I would like to ask your perspective on living through it. Having survived it. What insights have you gained from your experience(s). What are you doing now to alieveate your hurts (inside)? Are you using Martial Arts to "symbolically" fight it while you train? Drinking to excess like Morrison did? Talking about it with a significant other or therapist? Have you buried it so deep that it would take another tragic traumatic occurrance to bring it all back to the surface again? Are you writing a journal and cleansing your mind and heart that way? What is it like (for you) to go through this?

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The (above) must've been too close to home eh? Okay... well re-read it again... I'm only asking what you're doing about the pain... not WHAT the pain is... that's personal and private and isn't needed here, but your own method of dealing with it is the question.

Who knows ... it may give someone else a new idea or a new direction in which to deal with theirs... whatever it may be.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm only asking what you're doing about the pain.

What I do is anaesthetize myself through my work. A lot of what I do involves abstract mathematics and adaptations of familiar logics. I am able to inhabit a nice, cold, crystalline world that I can enter any time I like and solve formal problems in, and distance myself from the pain you speak of.

Ask anyone who plays chess very seriously and you're likely to get a comparable answer, if they're at all candid. I don't know whether or not it's a `healthy' thing to do, but it works, and lets one get on with things.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pain has become a friend at this point in my life.

Someone very close to me is feeling pain so acutely that he thought the answer was ending his own life and perhaps the lives of those around him.

When I hit that point in my life, I was given some advice from a counselor that changed my outlook forever:

'That (suicide) is a very permanent solution to very temporary problems which you do have the power to handle. If someone is abusing you, you have the power to say 'no' and to make that person leave your life or you to leave theirs. If your boss is mistreating you, you have the power to find out about the law and if you can take legal action or to get another job. If someone isn't listening to you, you have the power to write a letter, deliver it and say what you have to say. You have the power to decide what is important enough to you to fight for and die for. Personal pain, troubles, problems aren't big enough - they are your lessons.'

So I began to find meaning in things that happened in my life and I found that little things were often bigger than I thought and big things were smaller than I thought.

Watching my father melt away from cancer and refusing to open up to his family and how I felt so devalued and unloved and not included because he wouldn't open up to me there on his deathbed ... I cried buckets ... and found that it was important to me to share the core of life with my family, my passions, my values, my reasons why.

Receiving the diagnosis of my son began a grieving process for the son I thought I had but would ultimately never have ... and found that chances are given to us in the strangest and most painful of ways ... a chance to reach beyond the normal, a chance to help the helpless, and the realization my salvation lie in the sweet, brown, vacant eyes of a severely autistic child.

Leaving my first husband with not a penny in my pocket and 1/4 tank of gas made me realize that I really could do what I had to do with minimal resources and that sometimes compromising my principals (a.k.a. living with my mother again) would be necessary in order to save my own life and the lives of my children.

With the resolution and acceptance of pain comes the knowledge that it may not kill us, rather make us stronger - much like the Buddhist tenet that all life is suffering and suffering is life and upon acceptance of this, one may find peace and happiness.

My pain now is a different kind - one new to me. It is the pain of having become jaded by experiences and becoming apathetic towards certain people in particular situations. I have noticed I'm suffering the physical pain and discomfort of bringing this conflicting emotion into my realm of awareness. I suppose there is a positive, spiritual way to release people and responsibility in life, however ... well, I'm just not ready to accept that this is part of my being.

Happy hurting ... I suppose.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to this one really. Maybe because I am so young that I haven't experienced many of the types of pain life presents us with yet. The pain of my childhood I have mostly tried to forget. Some of it I don't even know about I am sure and other parts of it I only know when I read reports on events that took place or when someone tells me what happened. The parts not forgotten I just try and ignore. The pain of my childhood I know has affected me both positively and negatively in my life choices, but I make no excuses for my actions.
The pain of adulthood has been....of a different sort and I think at times my pain has been different from those around me as well (compared to most people my age). Not a, "this happens to no one but me" so much as a "this doesn't seem to happen to a lot of people or be too common." In the end I just internalize it, and try and ignore it. On days when I have too much time to think it can and has come back to bite me on the butt. Those days are long and hard and it would be easy to slip into a depression, so I try and avoid them and if I find myself in one, just try to numb myself by watching tv or reading. I am sure one day I may regret the avoidance, but I am willing to put it off for as long as possible anyways.
The one outlet I truly give myself is my mother. Talking with her about things and getting advice etc is a comfort and at times a necessity. When life overwhelms me and I don't know what to do, she is who I call, since she always seems to have or just to be the answer I need. The thought of my life without her scares me more than I can explain. It is a day I constantly pray is long off. She tells me that I need to open up more to the people around me, share more of who I am. I try and occassionaly share, but it is hard to change the way I deal with life, since for the most part it has served me well and in many cases after I have shared I suddenly wish I had said nothing. The irony of it all is I am the person who is turned to by the friends I do have, to give advice and help when they are experincing pain in their life. Somehow for me that can't be a two way street though, or never has been.

In the end, the pain and the experiences of my life have made me who I am, and I think I am a pretty good person, so I just try to remember that and in the end I hope it is worth it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pain - emotional, physical, intellectual - is a facet of life. Without the experience of pain of some type, I don't think a person can truly understand what it is to be human - empathy, which in my mind is a key component of humanity, comes from an understanding of pain in others, which comes from an understanding of pain in oneself. Not all pain is experienced the same way, and the pain that incapacitates one person will have little or no effect on another.

Artists often use our understanding of pain in their art - in the examples I will give, ballads, which are poems set to music. In Richard Cory, by the Beatles, the title character is rich, powerful, handsome - everything those who are not could want - but he chooses, for reasons never explained, to commit suicide. In Suicide is Painless, the title song of M*A*S*H, by Mike Altman, the character of the dentist wishes to end his own pain through suicide - and his friends set it up so that he thinks he's committing suicide, although he actually doesn't. Only the person experiencing the pain knows if it is worth continuing to experience it or not.

Richard Cory Lyrics

They say that Richard Cory owns one half of this whole town,
With political connections to spread his wealth around.
Born into society, a banker's only child,
He had everything a man could want: power, grace, and style.

But I work in his factory
And I curse the life I'm living
And I curse my poverty
And I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be,
Oh, I wish that I could be
Richard Cory.

The papers print his picture almost everywhere he goes:
Richard Cory at the opera, Richard Cory at a show.
And the rumor of his parties and the orgies on his yacht!
Oh, he surely must be happy with everything he's got.

And I curse my poverty
Richard Cory.

He freely gave to charity, he had the common touch,
And they were grateful for his patronage and thanked him very much,
So my mind was filled with wonder when the evening headlines read:
"Richard Cory went home last night and put a bullet through his head."

And I curse my poverty
Richard Cory.

Lyrics to the song 'Suicide is Painless'

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...
[REFRAIN]:
that suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...
[REFRAIN]
The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.
[REFRAIN]
The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.
[REFRAIN]
The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...
[REFRAIN]
A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
is it to be or not to be
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'
[REFRAIN]
'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you please.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My work gives me a retreat... My martial arts training gives me the guidance to make life's decisions (hopefully right), and the fortitude to live with the consequences of those decisions.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really have a complete answer to this question yet.

The nature of pain is something I have been contemplating for several months now, albeit physical pain, not emotional/mental pain.

While pain is something we avoid, I am realizing every day how true my signature is: pain is our friend.

Not the things that BRING or CAUSE pain; but pain itself as it is merely a messenger that gives us information we NEED.

(Consider how difficult life is for those who who are born without or lose the capacity to feel physical pain. It is a very dangerous existence indeed.)

Likewise, emotional/mental pain is something we need -- to let us know there is a spiritual wound that needs tending.

So what DO I do to deal with emotional/mental pain?

Endure it while trying not to focus on it, mostly focusing on other things -- work, day-to-day activities, martial art workouts.

I've heard that we can only truly think about one thing at a time -- while that one thing may bounce around quickly enough to to give the illusion of multi-track thinking.

Doing nothing tends to make me wallow in the pain itself and feel it more acutely.

Concentrating on what needs to be done in the moment passes time, and time heals wounds, providing they are properly dressed first.

I'm just kind of rambling here, using the writing process to help me discover what I really think about this issue, but:

consider the pain of a bad cut, and compare that with an infected cut.

Sometimes a movie or song will bring me to tears for no apparent reason. This, to me, indicates a wound in my heart, my soul, my mind or spirit -- whatever you want to call it -- that perhaps has not fully healed, or worse, may be festering.

Maybe that is the value in movies or songs, art in general: that by focusing on something we have buried below the surface, we can "squeeze" the infection, the puss, out of the wound, causing more acute pain for the moment, but in the long run cleansing the wound to allow true healing, true mending, to begin.

Anyway, that is enough rambling on my part. But thanks for posting the thread. It is surely something I will contemplate: what AM I doing to address pain in my life?

Latest Discussions