The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
The upcoming movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is based on the true story of Anneliese Michel who was supposedly possessed by a demon.

I'm a skeptic hardliner, so I always do my homework before jumping to conclusions. Does anyone know of online resources regarding the case, especially from the medical perspective?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am presently looking my self.
I read her story,Annelise,years back.I didn't realise that this movie was about her.
It took place in Germany.....and they lost that battle.
She died.
If I find something,I'll let you know.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I am presently looking my self.
I read her story,Annelise,years back.I didn't realise that this movie was about her.
It took place in Germany.....and they lost that battle.
She died.
If I find something,I'll let you know.
Thanks. I can't seem to find anything through Yahoo!, and seeing the movie itself wouldn't give me any objective info.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
Thanks. I can't seem to find anything through Yahoo!, and seeing the movie itself wouldn't give me any objective info.
I'm having the same problem with Goggle.
And for the life of me,I can't remember the book I read it in.
I first read about her when I was about 15-16 years old and a couple of times since.I actually went to a religious seminar in columbus,ohio about 25 years ago and a guest speaker was a priest who was present at her exorcism.
Supossedly,there was 13 different spirits that spoke through her.
If you are into this type of subjects,I can recommend:
"Hostage to the Devil."
Author escapes me,but it's a hard back book on 5 possession cases in the US.
It's a very intersting read.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I'm having the same problem with Goggle.
And for the life of me,I can't remember the book I read it in.
I first read about her when I was about 15-16 years old and a couple of times since.I actually went to a religious seminar in columbus,ohio about 25 years ago and a guest speaker was a priest who was present at her exorcism.
Supossedly,there was 13 different spirits that spoke through her.
If you are into this type of subjects,I can recommend:
"Hostage to the Devil."
Author escapes me,but it's a hard back book on 5 possession cases in the US.
It's a very intersting read.
I saw it on Amazon. It seems more like the kind of book that, though interesting, inspires more wonder than it provokes skepticism, which is what I'm more interested in. I want a balanced examination, not a book that remains mysterious and thus sells more copies.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
I'm a skeptic hardliner, so I always do my homework before jumping to conclusions. Does anyone know of online resources regarding the case, especially from the medical perspective?
I don't know if there is alot of accurate information available for this (or any) specific case of 'demonic possession'.

Here is an interesting link from the medical/psychiatric perspective, though:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web3/Bromwell.html

It is obvious how these behaviors can be misinterpreted as demonic possession; possessed individuals are often described as flailing and thrashing about and shouting obscenities, sexually aggressive phrases, violent threats, and sacrilegious statements.

There is also a high rate of comorbidity with obsessive-compulsive disorder in individuals who have Tourette syndrome (14). It seems likely that there would be a high frequency rate of obsessions with religion in individuals who claim to be possessed by a demon.

The origins of Tourette syndrome are thought to lie in either the dopaminergic system or the noradrenergic system. It is believed that the disorder results from either supersensitivity in the dopamine receptors or hyperactivity in the functioning of the norepinephrine system (14). The concordance of the putative biological causes of schizophrenia and Tourette syndrome seem to imply some type of connection between the two disorders, and the phenomenon which they both imitate, i.e., demonic possession. It also lends credence to the belief that the brain is responsible for types of behavior which may initially seem remarkably beyond the realm of normal human behavior.
The entire report by Ms. (Dr.?) Bromwell is fairly interesting, even without completely opposing the possibility of actual cases of 'demonic possession'.

[I can't help but to add this spoof link (I don't know, maybe I'm possessed!):
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s5i8960 Very funny, IMO.]

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
I don't know if there is alot of accurate information available for this (or any) specific case of 'demonic possession'.

Here is an interesting link from the medical/psychiatric perspective, though:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web3/Bromwell.html

The entire report by Ms. (Dr.?) Bromwell is fairly interesting, even without completely opposing the possibility of actual cases of 'demonic possession'.

[I can't help but to add this spoof link (I don't know, maybe I'm possessed!):
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s5i8960 Very funny, IMO.]
Thanks for the links. It's too late in the day (1:21 AM) to read the medical article (though I bookmarked it), but the spoof article was hilarious.

The a priori rejection of Demonic Possession by the Medical Community is an affront to all open-minded people. The 'Germ Theory' is only a theory and has never been proven. It is no more than a religion in itself, and must step aside to permit the inclusion of other theories of disease. The Bible describes diseases produced by Demonic Possession in over 40 places. No one has ever disproved these eyewitness accounts. Therefore, they must be included in medical school curricula. We have finally attained the fairness that democracy demands.
Great stuff.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, she has my last name on my mother's side. While I do believe that most demonic possessions are probably either bs or on account of some other mental disease, I simply can not help but think that perhaps such a thing may be real in the rarest of cases. In any event, I cant wait to see the movie.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
The a priori rejection of Demonic Possession by the Medical Community is an affront to all open-minded people. The 'Germ Theory' is only a theory and has never been proven. It is no more than a religion in itself, and must step aside to permit the inclusion of other theories of disease. The Bible describes diseases produced by Demonic Possession in over 40 places. No one has ever disproved these eyewitness accounts. Therefore, they must be included in medical school curricula. We have finally attained the fairness that democracy demands.

Hah! I have half a mind to turn this into my new sig!! :D :D :D

Latest Discussions