The elusive Self Defence Version of Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure, thanks for the info. All interesting.

I remember watching some of the vintage Rorion vs karate experts fighting
have to admit, what the Gracies did, did make me laugh a lot.

Coming from a karate background growing up, and being a bit of a risk taker myself,
as well as someone who likes to experiment.

Yere. I liked what the Gracie's did. Felt a bit sorry for the Karate guys.
With your experience in the Arts you mentioned - trust me on this, bro - if you were to train in a Gracie school, even if it's sport oriented - it's all going to be self defense for you. That's how easy it will be for you to adapt it.

dunc

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I read and watched some really interesting instruction with Eddie Bravo.
I found the rubber guard really interesting, and a great ploy. I believe this got banned from some competitions.
I found Eddie Bravo's personality really interesting.

Funny guy. and from what i read, a strong advocate of the use of cannabis and training, which surprised me.
Especially compared with the Gracie families known reputation for being T-total.

Just out of interest. I believe the schools from the area I live are mainly affiliated to Gracie Barra and Brazilian Power Team. Although i think both these clubs are run out of the love for GJJ / MMA etc.
and both, are run by people who are bright, and also organised.

From what I know about them, they do organise seminars periodically.
I believe Gracie Barra Europe is headed by Braulio Estima. Which in itself is excellent.

I don't doubt the skills of the people who run both these clubs.

I just am more geared up for the hobbyist slow lane now, rather than the 6 or 7 day a week schedule,
that i trained years ago for a short period (due to health, and time).

Thanks again.
Hi
Most academies will have plenty of hobbyist folk training there. Relatively few people are focused on competition in my experience
In terms of training for self defence: I very consciously focus my BJJ game on techniques that are most appropriate for self defence contexts. This is somewhat suboptimal compared to folks utilising the full tool kit of techniques, but hasnt been much of an issue for me to be honest
The gains you get are really significant even if you can only train 2-3 times a week
Hope this helps

OP
J

Jusroc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi
Most academies will have plenty of hobbyist folk training there. Relatively few people are focused on competition in my experience
In terms of training for self defence: I very consciously focus my BJJ game on techniques that are most appropriate for self defence contexts. This is somewhat suboptimal compared to folks utilising the full tool kit of techniques, but hasnt been much of an issue for me to be honest
The gains you get are really significant even if you can only train 2-3 times a week
Hope this helps
Thanks for your advice.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some good advice, but also advice given from some people who weren't exposed to BJJ/GJJ in the very early days.

There was definitely a "self-defense" curriculum that used to be taught in Brazil by the BJJ/GJJ lineages. Royce Gracie published a book on the Gracie Self-Defense techniques. If you look at the techniques, they are VERY similar to other S-D techniques from other TMA's. Many of the BJJ lineages dropped this portion of their program and teach what most people recognize as "BJJ" now. As others have said, with the right understanding, it can be used for both sport and self-defense.

The Gracies also put out a VHS set in the "early days" on their techniques.