The Defense of Taiwan...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The United States signed a treaty with Taiwan. In it we pledged to defend them militarily if China acted aggressively.

Check out this article ...

What do you think???

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The United States signed a treaty with Taiwan. In it we pledged to defend them militarily if China acted aggressively.

Check out this article ...

What do you think???
I think we're going to start hearing about the evil commies again, and invade China. They have terrorists too, ya know (insert heavy sarcasm here)...

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
YAY just another place htey can ship my cousin and uncle off to....

R

rmcrobertson

Yeah, we did this some time ago...scope out the tight bond between the Luce family (they owned "Time," magazine for fifty years...part of that liberal media) and Chiang Kai-Shek/Madame Chaing, the Imelda marcos of her day (incidentally, saw Imelda on the news...she's gainfully employed as a spokeswoman for--get this--the Philippine shoe indistry).

These are, by the way, pretty much the remnants of the upper class, the warlords, the wealthy, the corrupt, who ran rather than fight the Japanese. Which was very unlike Mao and the Red Army, until of course the Chairman took the castro route out, and allowed his enemies to ruin his soul, so that by the end oif his life, the S.O.B. was refusing to brush his teeth and having virgins shipped in from the provinces.

And did I leave out Madame Mao and the verdamnt Cultural Revolution?

For those of you planning to start yelling about free Taiwan, do try and read a little on the history of their elections--funnily enough, opposition candidates developed this weird habit of getting shot or imprisoned...

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
US Back Taiwan, China call for United Nation intervention... they side with China... US kicks UN out of New York.... send aid to Taiwan because of China's threat. North Korea buld military because of US threat in Taiwan... North Korea Invades South Korea... US makes deal with China to Stop North Korea... and gives up Taiwan as a conssession to the ceasefire. US keeps bases in South Korea... but we get no more shoes form Taiwan.

Just a guess... probably wont happen this way

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who knows what will happen with this. I would think that the US has better things to worry about right now than Taiwanese independance, or lack thereof as the case may be.

Personally I think we should stay the hell out of it, regardless of what happens. For some reason I kind of doubt that will be the case though. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Going toe to toe against the People's Republic of China would be a terrible thing. They and the US have the capability to make a very ugly war that would probably turn into a world war.

On the other hand, if the US did sign a treaty and it is a valid treaty (even though Taiwan is now "legally" part of the People's Republic) then if the US doesn't live up to its promise then which nations will ever believe the US's word.

I don't think the Chinese would allow the US to bluff them. Any agression would probably escalate quickly.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What does our treaty with Taiwan actually say? Does it say that we will send troops to defend them in the case of a Chineese attack?

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
ginshun said:
What does our treaty with Taiwan actually say? Does it say that we will send troops to defend them in the case of a Chineese attack?
More importantly, do we even have a "treaty" so to speak? It seems more like a business relationship of one country purchasing goods from another.

Granted, that is most likely short-sighted, but if someone does have a link to the actual treaty, or references to it, please post them so we all can further our learning.

P

PeachMonkey

Ray said:
On the other hand, if the US did sign a treaty and it is a valid treaty (even though Taiwan is now "legally" part of the People's Republic) then if the US doesn't live up to its promise then which nations will ever believe the US's word.
The US violate a treaty?

You mean, like the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, or the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, or the Anti Ballistic Missile Treaty, or the Geneva Conventions, or countless treaties with Native American nations over decades?

Nah, never happen.

R

rmcrobertson

This is precisely the sort of intellectual, ironic comment based on actual fact that is holding this great nation back from acheiving its true destiny, under Bob Jones' Sky God, as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Wal-Mart.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
The US violate a treaty?

You mean, like the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, or the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, or the Anti Ballistic Missile Treaty, or the Geneva Conventions, or countless treaties with Native American nations over decades?

Nah, never happen.
Or NAFTA?????

R

raedyn

Flatlander said:
Or NAFTA?????
*ROTFLMAO!!!!*

*wipes away laughing tears, straightens shirt*
Sorry, lost control for a moment there, won't happen again.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Check this out...

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of this grand chessboard is the China maneuver. Rebuilding America’s Defenses repeats the monotonous mantra of repositioning our forces to Southeast Europe and Southeast Asia in a thinly veiled attempt at reining in the rising Asian Tiger. China has been an area of the world that holds a special place in the elder Bush’s heart since he was the ambassador from 1974-1975. Many researchers claim that ambassadorships, more often then not, are simply covers for CIA station chiefs. Fittingly, Bush moved from China to head the CIA, an organization that the Skull & Bones Bush family has had an intimate relationship with since its inception (Allen Dulles, the first head of the CIA, and his brother John Foster Dulles represented the Bush junta in their trading with the Nazi’s trial).

In contemporary geopolitics the straight of Taiwan constitutes perhaps the most volatile “hotspot” on the planet. The Chinese consider Taiwan a renegade province that it promises to reign in. The United States, on the other hand, is bound by the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act to protect the democratic island. One cannot read Rebuilding America’s Defenses without being left with the foreboding feeling that this urgent repositioning of forces is simply a pretext to the dawn of the final World War. Republican policy regarding Taiwan was set out clearly in 2000:

“Our policy is based on the principle that there must be no use of force by China against Taiwan. We deny the right of Beijing to impose its rule on the free Taiwanese people. All issues regarding Taiwan's future must be resolved peacefully and must be agreeable to the people of Taiwan. If China violates these principles and attacks Taiwan, then the United States will respond appropriately in accordance with the Taiwan Relations Act. America will help Taiwan defend itself”(Brookes 2003).

W has echoed this policy on numerous occasions, claiming that in the event of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan that the United States would do “whatever it took to help Taiwan defend itself”(Brookes 2003). All eyes will certainly be on Taiwan during the 2008 Olympics as China hosts the event for the first time. If the games are held, there will either be an oppressive, tense mood underlying the event, like the 1936 games in Berlin, or jubilation at the diffusion of a ticking bomb. Given that George W. Bush will be a lame duck in a presidential election year, look for China to make a bold grasp at superpower status. If America is to retain or expand its current hegemony the PNAC cabal know that they must nip China in the bud. If the Chinese were to quash Taiwanese democracy, the blow would signal the downfall of our Pax Americana, and usher in the next World War. Given the fear/warmongering vision of PNAC, don’t plan any trips to Beijing to watch Mark Phelps make another go at the gold.

http://www.reader-weekly.com/issue/307/Jeremiah_Haynes.html

R

raedyn

From UpNorth's article:
the foreboding feeling [that] this urgent repositioning of forces is simply a pretext to the dawn of the final World War.
I laugh in the face of the naieve statement. Every World War will be the 'final' war. *snort* Remember when the WWI & WWII were The Great War & The War To End All Wars? (okay, neither to I. I can barely remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. But that's besides the point.) That phrase stuck out at me as foolish and ignorant.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
raedyn said:
From UpNorth's article:I laugh in the face of the naieve statement. Every World War will be the 'final' war. *snort* Remember when the WWI & WWII were The Great War & The War To End All Wars? (okay, neither to I. I can barely remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. But that's besides the point.) That phrase stuck out at me as foolish and ignorant.

For millions of people, war with China would be the final world war.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
raedyn said:
From UpNorth's article:I laugh in the face of the naieve statement. Every World War will be the 'final' war. *snort* Remember when the WWI & WWII were The Great War & The War To End All Wars? (okay, neither to I. I can barely remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. But that's besides the point.) That phrase stuck out at me as foolish and ignorant.

As long as the stakes keep getting upped, (Huge populations, nukes etc)there's a chance there's not going to be anyone left to wage yet another world war afterword.

Latest Discussions