The Courage of the Burmese People

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been watching the news reports coming out of Burma? The people there have been demonstrating, led by the Buddhist monks, for their freedom from the military dictatorship that rules their country. The army is out and has killed, detained and beaten up many already. The last demostrations twenty years ago left 2000 demonstrators dead. We can only watch and pray that the people can win their freedom and that it's not at the cost of thousand dead. Our countries leaders are "in talks".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7015751.stm

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I fear for those people. I think once it reaches this stage with a military government it is just a matter of time before it falls or lots of people get killed. Be that tommorrow, or in 5 years.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As of this morning, the Burmese government has arrested even more monks, around 200, in an effort to stop them leading protests. There are now stronger curfews and bans against public gatherings of any sort.

Our government, like the US, has implemented economic sanctions but I don't know how effective they will be against a government like this.

I hope that the people can achieve something this time, but it looks doubtful, unfortunately.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am reminded of one of the closing scenes in the movie 'V for Vendetta'.

The senior inspector says to his junior counter part ... In discussing the citizens of London marching to the center of town on the evening of November 4th. The junior inspector asks the senior what he thinks will happen . . . . The result will be ... "What usually happens when people with guns go up against people without guns."

There seems to be very few levers the western world can press in Myanmar. The current regime is quite insulated. Their local contacts with India and China are more than sufficient for their continued reign.

I can see no reason to hold any hope for lasting change. I wish the monks courage measured with reason. It is better to be alive and under house arrest, than to be in an unmarked grave.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see no reason to hold any hope for lasting change. I wish the monks courage measured with reason. It is better to be alive and under house arrest, than to be in an unmarked grave.

I agree, Mike. Unless China and India can cut ties and embrace sanctions, nothing will happen. The problem is that Burma is very rich in natural resources. They have lots of fossil fuels that both of these countries are craving. Human rights are a cheap price to pay in order to grow an economy.

Where have I seen this before?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of the killing and arrests over there bother me. At one time in my life I was planning on going to Burma to become a monk

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some interesting comments and links over at Belmont Club, including reports that the Burmese Army may be splitting and fighting each other.

Latest Discussions