The CIA's Secret Prisons...aka "The Black Sites"

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe this is a Republican vs Democrat issue. We are talking about one case in which revealed the ID of a CIA operative, and another case which revealed a whole lot more. One case put one person in danger, the other one put the entire country in danger.

Yet....the less severe of the two cases is getting the attention, because of politics. Karl Rove's name is in the mix, therefore, that's their issue.

When does National Security become the real issue here? WHOEVER leaked the information, should be fried, and that goes for BOTH cases.

I'm convinced that the leaders of both political parties have lost their minds.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
I don't believe this is a Republican vs Democrat issue. We are talking about one case in which revealed the ID of a CIA operative, and another case which revealed a whole lot more. One case put one person in danger, the other one put the entire country in danger.

Yet....the less severe of the two cases is getting the attention, because of politics. Karl Rove's name is in the mix, therefore, that's their issue.

When does National Security become the real issue here? WHOEVER leaked the information, should be fried, and that goes for BOTH cases.

I'm convinced that the leaders of both political parties have lost their minds.

You are making an assumption that revealing Valerie Plame's name put 'one person' in danger. That assumption is a dangerous one. The CIA has not released a damage assessment.

As a NOC, Ms. Plame had many contacts throughout the world whose safety may have been jeapordized by releasing her name. The company which Ms. Plame used as a cover, may also have been used by other covert operatives. We can not be sure if releasing that information endangered other operatives, and their contacts world-wide.

We just aren't sure. That is the reason this is such a big deal.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
You are making an assumption that revealing Valerie Plame's name put 'one person' in danger. That assumption is a dangerous one. The CIA has not released a damage assessment.

As a NOC, Ms. Plame had many contacts throughout the world whose safety may have been jeapordized by releasing her name. The company which Ms. Plame used as a cover, may also have been used by other covert operatives. We can not be sure if releasing that information endangered other operatives, and their contacts world-wide.

We just aren't sure. That is the reason this is such a big deal.
Well, as Ms. Plame's identity was no real secret A) Because of her political dealings and B) Because she was using her husband to pursue a personal agenda, it seems to me it was her pursuit of a private agenda that endangered those operatives. Granted, Libby may certainly have helped, but those who be dangerous to those operatives are every bit as smart as the journalists who were already guessing that Plame worked for the CIA, long before Libby talked about it. Maybe she should have kept out of politics and stuck to her job. It wasn't even sending Joe to Africa that caused the problem....It's him talking about a "Secret Mission" to the New York Times that caused the problem.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Well, as Ms. Plame's identity was no real secret A) Because of her political dealings and B) Because she was using her husband to pursue a personal agenda, it seems to me it was her pursuit of a private agenda that endangered those operatives. Granted, Libby may certainly have helped, but those who be dangerous to those operatives are every bit as smart as the journalists who were already guessing that Plame worked for the CIA, long before Libby talked about it. Maybe she should have kept out of politics and stuck to her job. It wasn't even sending Joe to Africa that caused the problem....It's him talking about a "Secret Mission" to the New York Times that caused the problem.

Why then did the Central Intelligence Agency request the Justice Department open an investigation into who revealed Ms. Plame's status and why?

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:

You really need to research your facts a little better. Limbaugh, Hannity, etc are NOT good sources.

Latest Discussions