The bottle cap challenge

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
The bottle cap challenge has kind of blown up on Facebook (and elsewhere). If you're not familiar with it, here it is:

Bottle Cap Challenge: Why John Mayer, Jason Statham and others are doing it - CNN

I've seen a variety of reactions to it, ranging from "That takes skill! I couldn't do that!" to "that's cool I guess" to "that's so dumb, MA is all about POWER... they should be destroying that bottle, not knocking the cap off!"

I generally don't care about social media challenges (although it's super cool that the ice bucket challenge actually raised a ton of money for ALS research), but I'm surprised by some of the negative remarks. I mean, one guy actually made a video of himself kicking a water bottle into oblivion and telling the viewers to stop kicking bottle caps and get back to real karate. You really have to be annoyed to go through all of that effort.

Any thoughts?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bottle cap challenge has kind of blown up on Facebook (and elsewhere). If you're not familiar with it, here it is:

Bottle Cap Challenge: Why John Mayer, Jason Statham and others are doing it - CNN

I've seen a variety of reactions to it, ranging from "That takes skill! I couldn't do that!" to "that's cool I guess" to "that's so dumb, MA is all about POWER... they should be destroying that bottle, not knocking the cap off!"

I generally don't care about social media challenges (although it's super cool that the ice bucket challenge actually raised a ton of money for ALS research), but I'm surprised by some of the negative remarks. I mean, one guy actually made a video of himself kicking a water bottle into oblivion and telling the viewers to stop kicking bottle caps and get back to real karate. You really have to be annoyed to go through all of that effort.

Any thoughts?
It's I supose , an impresive .but useless skill , a. It like papering the wall with your feet, not something I'd put an y time into whilst I had functioning hands .
though I saw one were a soccer player , juggled the ball and then took the top of with the football, that was cool

Last edited:

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not a fan of it myself. Just another "viral" internet thing happening again? No monkey see, monkey do here. lol. probably end up wasting good water trying it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a measurement of accuracy and control, nothing more and nothing less.

If you think it's nothing, then you think accuracy and control are unimportant. If you think it's everything, then you think that power and the ability to read your opponent are unimportant. If you recognize it for what it is, you can be reasonably impressed by it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know, it amused me when I saw it done by various people. Of course, I'm easily amused.

I think I'll go amuse myself right now before today's workout. Hopefully my wife doesn't catch me. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's cool a ufc meme went so viral.

It is what it is ;)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
My only thought is that I don't think I could do that anymore... if ever. Back in the day, I could probably have "hit" the bottle in the right manner, but I kind of think that it's have flown across the room or just exploded, probably doing some damage to me or the area.

Now? Not having done my TKD full form practice in probably 10 years,... nah... no way I could do it. You see, aikido has taught me smarts. Bottle needs bottle cap off, I get bottle opener. Aiki.

OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually a bit more entertained with the fail videos than the success videos. One of our university football teams had their mascot do it and intentionally mess up and it is quite amusing.

But it's good to know that it can be used for publicity. Maybe I can convince someone at the dojo to do it and put it on our Facebook page. Maybe we'd all just make idiots of ourselves when we couldn't do it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're all Martial Artists here, there's not going to be much argument about that. You know what this whole bottle cap thing is?

It's fun, that's what it is. :joyful:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun... or funny... either one works.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
It seems a cool trick to me. Probably not very much directly related to fighting skill, but I don't think I've seen anyone claim it was. It shows a lot of control and precision (which can be applied in a way that aids fighting skill) - far more than I possess in my kicks. Not (IMO) worth spending a lot of time on, but if I thought I could do it, I'd probably give it a go.

The negativity is entirely misplaced, IMO. It's like looking at someone lifting a kettlebell in a clean and press, and saying "that won't help you shift gears faster in your car". Some of the same movements in some muscles, but probably not the reason the person is doing clean and press.

Latest Discussions