The Bible does not condemn self defense

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[
But I do have some Spanish....this is Sephardic, I think:

Cuando avre la boca se conoce lo que es.
(When one opens his mouth, he reveals who he is)

Apt don't you think? :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time, that part of the world was being run by the Romans. They had established their empire and during the time of the arrest and crucifixion of Jesus the area was being managed by Pontius Pilate a Roman governor who served under Emperor Tiberius.

What's your impression of the Idumaean Antipater? Could Herod have avoided the confrontation with the Sanhedrin? Do you consider that Herod and Phasael were clever in their dealings with Antony? Of course Herod must have been clever or at least very wily to survive the Parthian invasion don't you think?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time, that part of the world was being run by the Romans. They had established their empire and during the time of the arrest and crucifixion of Jesus the area was being managed by Pontius Pilate a Roman governor who served under Emperor Tiberius.

Of course as you know Pontius Pilatus was properly known as the Procurator or Prefect of Judea, he would have had responsibility for military matters and for raising taxes, there were some other duties but on the whole governance was left in the hands of the civilians, in this case the Sanhedrin and the High Priests.
I'm interested to know what you think the Hellenic influence was on the local population of Jews or whether you think such groups as the Essenes also carried influence?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Give him some time to google all of that before he answers. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest my interest is pre and post Joshua Bar Joseph's time, for Jews it's not a particularly interesting time, that comes shortly afterwards with the revolts,(nothing like a good revolt). My interest in the Romans is, as I indicated earlier because of British history and the history of where I live because it was a Roman garrison and town, one does pick up some knowledge at school of course :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yep he has a wall just up the road from me, they used part of it in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood film.
Hadrian s Wall is a truly special place... - Hadrians Wall

I would like to see it someday, seen a couple of documentaries about it, but I would like to see it in person someday. Next year the Mrs. is talking about going to Europe, but I believe she is talking Germany and has no plans for England at this point, hopefully another time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see it someday, seen a couple of documentaries about it, but I would like to see it in person someday. Next year the Mrs. is talking about going to Europe, but I believe she is talking Germany and has no plans for England at this point, hopefully another time.

We lived in Germany for three years, there's a Roman site in Xanten near Dusseldorf we went to.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the fact of the matter is that during the NT it was the Roman Empire that was in control of the area and they set the laws. That being said, it can be concluded that they did allow civilians to buy and own swords as shown when Jesus instructs His apostles to buy swords.

Now as for when Jesus said "It is enough," in Luke 22:38 I've done some research on that. It has been said that Jesus was not saying that two swords were enough but rather was putting an end to the conversation. The apostles did not get it about Jesus dying on the cross to fulfill prophecy and be risen three days later and they thought they might be using the swords to protect Jesus and stop the Romans from arresting Him as Peter tried when he attacked the high priest's servant. So Jesus was not contradicting Himself by first saying all the apostles should have swords and then saying two is enough but rather He was saying that's enough talk on the subject when the apostles mentioned that there was two swords.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be concluded that they did allow civilians to buy and own swords as shown when Jesus instructs His apostles to buy swords.

Well, actually no, you are not understanding I think how the Romans worked when they invaded countries. You are making false assumptions and definitely not answering any of my questions which leads me to conclude that you don't actually know much about the history of the area.

I won't comment on your second paragraph other than to say you need to cite your sources when you say you have done some research and then 'it's been said', well who said? Are they a credible source?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, actually no, you are not understanding I think how the Romans worked when they invaded countries. You are making false assumptions and definitely not answering any of my questions which leads me to conclude that you don't actually know much about the history of the area.

I won't comment on your second paragraph other than to say you need to cite your sources when you say you have done some research and then 'it's been said', well who said? Are they a credible source?

My credible source is the King James Bible and that's what I use for researching history of the area and the discussion about the apostles carrying swords.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My credible source is the King James Bible and that's what I use for researching history of the area and the discussion about the apostles carrying swords.

You aren't just saying that because that translation was mentioned earlier? As far as I know the New Testament is concerned with specific things and the history of the Roman Empire, it's customs and procedures aren't part of those specific things so you will learn very little Roman history from it. Even Xtian Bible scholars look to other sources for historical facts about the Roman Empire.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jesus_facepalm.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tacitus.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
elder999 do you even have much knowledge of the Bible? What is your background on that?

Latest Discussions