The best of Rogan and Goldberg: Let's learn wrestling together

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-07-2009 09:30 AM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-900806957-1260166247.jpg
There was a moment during "The Ultimate Fighter" finale on Saturday night when my phone, Twitter and email went crazy. It seemed that everyone who knows me knew I would flip out at one particular statement from UFC commentator Mike Goldberg.

After Jon Jones executed a textbook foot sweep and Rogan said, "Nice trip!", Goldberg yelled,"There's some Greco!

Greco-Roman wrestling is the discipline of wrestling where leg attacks are not allowed. The foot is a part of the leg. Therefore, a foot sweep has nothing to do with Greco-Roman wrestling. EVER.

Goldberg is not the only one to make stuff up as he goes along. Rogan likes to make up titles within the wrestling world.

"With Matt Hamill, you're dealing with a three-time national championand three-time world champion," Rogan. Sorry to both Joe and MattHamill, but a gold medal at the Deaflympics does not a world championmake.

"Frankie is a former All-American wrestling champion." Joe Rogan -- I've been to several NCAA championships in my life, and I have absolutely no idea what an All-American champion is. You could be a national champion and an All-American, but "All-American Champion" isn't truly the title given to anyone.

I do know that Edgar was a wrestler for Clarion University, that he was the Eastern Wrestling League champ at 141 lbs. in 2005 and was a four-time NCAA Div. I qualifier, but alas, he never placed in the top eight of the country. Therefore, Frankie Edgar was never an All-American.

So Rogan, Goldberg, I am not criticizing for the sake of criticism. I am here to help. As a wrestling-addled person, I want to share my knowledge. Right now, I have plans to go to the Midlands Championships in Evanston, Ill., the NWCA National Duals in Cedar Falls, Ia. and the NCAA Division I championships in Omaha, Neb. This spring, I'll likely head to Cleveland for the U.S. National championships.

Come with me, Joe and Mike. Sit with my friends and me, meet the wrestling family, spend a few hours watching the world's oldest and greatest sport, and I promise you'll enjoy the sport as I do. Not only that, you'll learn so much about wrestling that I promise you'll know that a footsweep is not, in fact, Greco.

A few other notes on Saturday night's production:

-- Joe Rogan took quite a swipe at the now-defunct Elite XC as Roy Nelson walked into the cage before his fight. In discussing Nelson's bout with Andrei Arlovski, Rogan mentioned that he thought Nelson was robbed because the fighters were stood up when Nelson was working on a submission. "But everybody knows about Elite XC and they way they were trying to force fighters to stand up."

-- At UFC 96, Dana White admitted that he approved fighter's walk-in music. On Saturday night, Nelson walked into, "I'm Fat" by "Weird" Al Yankovic. Does this mean that White is growing a sense of humor?

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions