The benefits of co-ed grappling

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Setting an age limit between the classes is also a good idea. Where I train they have to be at least 13 to join the adult class, they don't necessarily have to at 13 but the option is there and it is up to them to make that shift. When my daughter turned 13 she wanted to join the adult class immediately. She had outgrown the children's class and needed more challenge. She never felt uncomfortable, however this was probably due to the fact that she already knew all the adults in the school. It would probably be different for a new student who does not know the adults in the class. In those cases, slow integration into co-ed grappling may be necessary depending on the child, beit a boy or a girl.
You're more trusting than me. My daughter is not going to roll with my (men)students. I teach just abou anyone. I try to change them, mold them to be better people. I guess that tells you what kind of students I have but at least I try.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
akja said:
You're more trusting than me. My daughter is not going to roll with my (men)students. I teach just abou anyone. I try to change them, mold them to be better people. I guess that tells you what kind of students I have but at least I try.
Perhaps the more trusting part is true Akja, but I also roll with these men. They are my training partners and in some cases my friends. My trust in them is sound, therefore, my trust with them rolling with my daughter is also sound. We have been lucky with our training partners in that they are good, kind considerate people who are there to train and have fun. Good for you for trying to help your students and good for you for being a caring father. :)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Perhaps the more trusting part is true Akja, but I also roll with these men. They are my training partners and in some cases my friends. My trust in them is sound, therefore, my trust with them rolling with my daughter is also sound. We have been lucky with our training partners in that they are good, kind considerate people who are there to train and have fun. Good for you for trying to help your students and good for you for being a caring father. :)
Thank you! :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do co-ed rolling at the BJJ school I attend, but most of the time women are paired with women and men with men.

I

Isrephael

In our school, we have a tremendously talented and dedicated female student. She trains AND competes in NHB/MMA. In her last tournament, she not only challenged the entire female ladder and won, but then challenged the entire male ladder... AND WON. She is a wonderful partner to work with, and I have nothing but the deepest respect for her.

Nalia said:
I hate it when a guy uses sheer strength during a sparring match, it leaves both of us learning nothing.

This can apply not just to gender cross-overs, but among anyone who is bigger/stronger/more experienced. If your partner isn't letting you work techniques, he/she is a bad partner. Our instructor is quite good at teaching us to be good partners: to remove the ego from it... to not worry about "winning", but to concentrate on "learning".
I can out-size and out-muscle most of the people at my school. And, of course, there are those who can out-experience/out-technique me. It is incumbent to both sides to ease up and act as though it's a training school, not an olympic trial.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isrephael said:
<snip>..
This can apply not just to gender cross-overs, but among anyone who is bigger/stronger/more experienced. If your partner isn't letting you work techniques, he/she is a bad partner. Our instructor is quite good at teaching us to be good partners: to remove the ego from it... to not worry about "winning", but to concentrate on "learning".
I can out-size and out-muscle most of the people at my school. And, of course, there are those who can out-experience/out-technique me. It is incumbent to both sides to ease up and act as though it's a training school, not an olympic trial.
Well said and true to both genders. For instance I can out power both my children but they can out technique me. They are quicker and more talented then I am. Yes, I could just hold them down but that would teach them nothing more then frustration and teach me even less. In a game of skill, powering through to win has no merit.

Latest Discussions