Testing the root/structure

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
people have requested I use a big guy in my videos...well here is the biggest guy I could find...

Yep, that's a BIG guy!

Now I Just wish I could see your whole body including your feet during this clip. Maybe you couldn't fit all that in the screen and still include your large partner?

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeah, big guy for sure - can't fault ya for using a small guy on this one!

It looks like your backhand is supporting your front hand behind the forearm and is what's really taking the load when the front had starts folding (?) If so, I'd say while this is showing a 'form of structure', some might view this as 'cheating' :)

When I am testing WC structure on a student, they would have to do it without the back hand supporting and see if the front hand alignment can withstand the pressure on it's own (as long as the test is also fair for the given structure, facing, etc).

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, that's a BIG guy!

Now I Just wish I could see your whole body including your feet during this clip. Maybe you couldn't fit all that in the screen and still include your large partner?
The guy filed it
Yep, that's a BIG guy!

The guy filmed it to close. I asked him to make sure to get my feet in but he didn't..I had my right foot forward and my left leg took all that weight he was coming down on me.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, big guy for sure - can't fault ya for using a small guy on this one!

It looks like your backhand is supporting your front hand behind the forearm and is what's really taking the load when the front had starts folding (?) If so, I'd say while this is showing a 'form of structure', some might view this as 'cheating' :)

When I am testing WC structure on a student, they would have to do it without the back hand supporting and see if the front hand alignment can withstand the pressure on it's own (as long as the test is also fair for the given structure, facing, etc).

This guy is way to heavy!!! it was like trying to hold back a small car..your right I had to support or reinforce my right arm with my left. because he was just to big..

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, I wanted to see if I could do it. If I can hold him most people are very easy.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This guy is way to heavy!!! it was like trying to hold back a small car..your right I had to support or reinforce my right arm with my left. because he was just to big..

Fair enough.
But then it begs the question, what use is the structure if it doesn't hold up? If the structure is sound and the test is correct, size shouldn't matter. Now, I'm not saying I could/couldn't do any better against a person of that size without changing to something else, but now I'm wondering what's the value in the demo...

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough.
But then it begs the question, what use is the structure if it doesn't hold up? If the structure is sound and the test is correct, size shouldn't matter. Now, I'm not saying I could/couldn't do any better against a person of that size without changing to something else, but now I'm wondering what's the value in the demo...

Structure does work I just proved it. You also need to realize everything has a limit. I do not have supper human abilities just normal ones. Size does matter, you can not change the laws of physics. Forget all that chi crap you see and tricks on youtube this is reality. But an Untrained person would not be able to hold a 300+ lbs man..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Structure does work I just proved it. You also need to realize everything has a limit. I do not have supper human abilities just normal ones. Size does matter ...an Untrained person would not be able to hold a 300+ lbs man..

Why should you have to oppose such a great force? In my lineage, we yield before superior force. "Structure" is not rigidity.... it is just maintaining kinetic linkages, body alignment and proper positioning so that you can easily bend or move to dissolve such heavy force. Trying to stand your ground in front of vastly greater power is a fool's errand.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Geezer, we also test the ability to hold pressure with structure however, that isn't what we do with the pressure in reality. Just shows how one can relax yet maintain. We bent or blend to dissolve but it is awesome to see someone who is relaxed yet unmoved by the pressure. It one can maintain one can direct the force to where ever one wants.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why should you have to oppose such a great force? In my lineage, we yield before superior force. "Structure" is not rigidity.... it is just maintaining kinetic linkages, body alignment and proper positioning so that you can easily bend or move to dissolve such heavy force. Trying to stand your ground in front of vastly greater power is a fool's errand.

Testing one root is very traditional training nothing new .

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Testing one root is very traditional training nothing new .

Yes, and we also "test" structure. My point was actually in agreement with your response to JP when you commented about there being physical limits. Working with somebody who is that much bigger, you better be able to flex or yield and redirect the force or you will get crushed. :)

BTW, Futsao, from the previous videos you look like a big guy, I'm guessing 6' or 6'1" and 225lbs. And that guy you are working with looks at least 6'5" and 350LBS. or bigger. We've got a guy almost that big in our DTE group. We call him "Tiny". He's probably 6'3" and 280. A little fat, to be sure, but strong, fast and skilled. Now I'm 5'8', a little fat myself :oops:, and when I work with him.... well, ...basically I'm screwed! Good thing he's a nice guy.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why should you have to oppose such a great force? In my lineage, we yield before superior force...
Agree! When a force comes toward you, you can

1. resist against it. This is force against force.
2. yield into it, This is too conservative. You just can't "keep yielding"
3. borrow the force and take advantage on it. This will give you permanent solution.

IMO, 3 > 2 > 1.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
In stead of testing your opponent's "pushing", what method will you use to test your opponent's "pulling"? Should you also need to have strong rooting and body structure to be able to against your opponent's "pulling"?
Pushing pulling no difference..rooting is rooting..

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pushing pulling no difference..rooting is rooting..
Disagree!

When your opponent

- "pushes" you, you can transfer that force down to your back leg and into the ground.
- "pulls" you, since you can't transfer that force down to the ground, what will you do?

This is why we can find so many "group pushing" demo. But we can't find even one "group pulling" demo. Why?

Taiji_group_push.jpg

group_rope_pull.jpg

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Disagree!

When your opponent

- "pushes" you, you can transfer that force down to your back leg and into the ground.
- "pulls" you, since you can't transfer that force down to the ground, what will you do?

This is why we can find so many "group pushing" demo. But we can't find even one "group pulling" demo. Why?

Taiji_group_push.jpg

group_rope_pull.jpg
Of course it's the same. What makes you think I can't root myself...it's very easy..you have to change stance..that's the answer..like the low horse

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, and we also "test" structure. My point was actually in agreement with your response to JP when you commented about there being physical limits. Working with somebody who is that much bigger, you better be able to flex or yield and redirect the force or you will get crushed. :)

BTW, Futsao, from the previous videos you look like a big guy, I'm guessing 6' or 6'1" and 225lbs. And that guy you are working with looks at least 6'5" and 350LBS. or bigger. We've got a guy almost that big in our DTE group. We call him "Tiny". He's probably 6'3" and 280. A little fat, to be sure, but strong, fast and skilled. Now I'm 5'8', a little fat myself :oops:, and when I work with him.... well, ...basically I'm screwed! Good thing he's a nice guy.

I'm 6ft not sure sure my weight..I don't want to know. Haha..but it's up there..that guy id like 6'5" over 300 lbs easy. I think problem more like 400lbs.