Testing stances, grappling, and angles.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a short clip of me working on some Jow Ga techniques. I created a small ring to see how well we do with our short game. Our goal was to get the other person out of the ring by any means necessary. It was a good learning experience.

Video 1: Stances and throw

Video 2: Bridge and Fists. Not the best show of skills but I tried lol. Trying to stay inside of that ring was a pain, but I'll eventually get it right.

By the way we spar to learn, so the shots we are landing aren't hard. Even if we throw a punch fast it's not going to land hard. We try to keep everything under control so that we can go at it hard without knocking each other out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the first one. What was he actually going for there? Because it looked like he almost threw himself.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the first one. What was he actually going for there? Because it looked like he almost threw himself.
It looks that way, but he didn't throw himself lol. He was going for a throw, where he steps behind me and pulls me backwards, we train this a lot. He just didn't do it the way that we train it. He did it the way that most people in martial arts do it. Similar to this
or this
These moves are very difficult to pull off on someone with strong stances and good footing. Normally I just defend against it, but this time I decided to be more aggressive and decided to countered it. Because I sent his body in 2 opposite directions he couldn't help but fall over. The only thing I had to do was sink a little after smacking him in the head to throw him off balance and make sure that his head didn't hit the floor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks that way, but he didn't throw himself lol. He was going for a throw, where he steps behind me and pulls me backwards, we train this a lot. He just didn't do it the way that we train it. He did it the way that most people in martial arts do it. Similar to this
or this
These moves are very difficult to pull off on someone with strong stances and good footing. Normally I just defend against it, but this time I decided to be more aggressive and decided to countered it. Because I sent his body in 2 opposite directions he couldn't help but fall over. The only thing I had to do was sink a little after smacking him in the head to throw him off balance and make sure that his head didn't hit the floor.

I thought that was was what he was going for. He is hitting it from too far away.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought that was was what he was going for. He is hitting it from too far away.
There was a throw before this one and I think he was worried about being thrown again. I did 1 throw (same type) and 2 side steps which resulted in him being pushed outside the ring. He usually gets the distance correct. A good defense for that technique is to shift into a cat stance and just let your leg relax which takes away the leverage. Shifting into a bow stance will counter the technique as well, you'll end up throwing your opponent instead of your opponent throwing you.

Latest Discussions