Terrorism -- what is it?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several posts in different threads prompt this...

Wade Page, the shooter at the Sikh temple in Oak Park, Wisconsin, is being called a terrorist. The same allegation has been made against others, like James Holmes (Batman shooter) and Nidal Hasan (Ft Hood)... But can we call anyone who scares people a terrorist? Do their beliefs make them a terrorist -- or their acts? Must the acts be tied to beliefs? What about someone who donates money to a group that may carry out acts of terrorism? What if that money is going through several cutouts first, aligned with the beliefs of the terrorist group, but not directly aligned with the terrorist acts.

One definition of terrorism is the calculated use of force or threatened use of force, to obtain political, social, or religious goals. I think that's a good starting point, and a good way to start distinguishing believers from actual terrorists. Let's look closer at that definition. Calculated... in other words, planned, conceived and targeted with a greater goal in mind, either through visibility or actual selection. A UBN gang member running down the street, slashing someone's face to give them a buck-fifty, isn't likely to be a calculated act. Do much the same thing, targeting only Sikhs or Muslims or skinheads or red heads... Now we're getting closer. Sometimes, the target is selected for visibility. The Twin Towers were a symbol of American economic power; the Pentagon a symbol of US military might. Other targets, like car bombs near shopping centers get a lot of attention and scare a lot people, demonstrating the power of the group. Force: violence. Pretty simple. The bigger, the nastier, the more killed or more destruction -- or the more vulnerable and helpless the victim -- the better for the end goal. And that's the big thing -- the end goal. Making a change happen, by scaring people into it. The Unabomber was a whack job, not a terrorist -- until he released his manifesto. Timothy McVeigh is a tougher call; nobody ever really tied him more than peripherally to any of the various anti-government groups or militias.

Where does that leave us with regard to Holmes or Page? Well -- Holmes, clearly, wasn't a terrorist, no matter how much terror he inspired in his victims. While he had a plan, it was not connected to any sort of change. Page? He had ties to organizations that certainly want to make change happen -- but nobody's claimed his acts. He made no statements, left no manifesto... it's not even really clear whether he was targeting Sikhs or Muslims or just non-whites. Hard to call him a terrorist by that definition, at least so far. Hasan? He's kind of on the line, I think. His actions were not supported or guided by any of the organizations he had ties to -- but they do seem to be aimed at furthering their goals.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, Page is a terrorist. He targeted a group for violence in order to provoke a reaction from others.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Legally, Title 22, Chapter 38 of the United States Code defines "terrorism," thusly:

"Definitions ... the term 'terrorism' means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents;"

And Title 18 of the United States Code (regarding criminal acts and criminal procedure) defines international terrorism as:
The term 'international terrorism' means activities that . . . involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; [and] appear to be intended . . . to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; . . . to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or . . . to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and [which] occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum

But, since Oct, 2001, with the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act, domestic terrorism is defined as:

"activities that (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the U.S. or of any state, that (B) appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population, (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion, or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping, and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S."

Which the latest shooting may fall under. On the other hand, the local police defined it as terrorism so they could get the assistance of the FBI-it may be domestic terrorism, it may be "hate crime," it may be both-both crimes are defined by their motivation, after all, and, in this instance-if, as some are saying, Page hoped to incite "racial holy war," by this event-it may be both.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Timothy McVeigh ... Theodore Kaczinsky ... Eric Rudolph ... Buford Furrow ... Wade Page ... and a host of others in recent memory who have committed targeted and discriminate acts of calculated violence:

Change their names to Ahmed or Mohammed or Jalil or Hussein or Raheem or Akbar, and we don't wonder whether or not their acts are terrorist or not. We conclude that they are.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Timothy McVeigh ... Theodore Kaczinsky ... Eric Rudolph ... Buford Furrow ... Wade Page ... and a host of others in recent memory who have committed targeted and discriminate acts of calculated violence:

Each of those men prior to Page acted, and their actions were defined-even before the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act-as terrorism. While none of them were actually charged with terrorism (and, indeed, the crime of "domestic terrorism" was rather loosely defined, legally speaking, prior to 9/11) it was mostly because in each case the variety of crimes they were charged with were enough of a "slam-dunk" for prosecutors to run with them and get the death penalty or life in prison.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One definition of terrorism is the calculated use of force or threatened use of force, to obtain political, social, or religious goals.
By this definition one nation invading another classifies itself terrorist. That that nation might claim (as many terrorists do) some higher more morally acceptable purpose does not preclude it being terrorist.

I think stereotyping terrorists blinds us to the reality of the political world and has us chasing ghosts.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By this definition one nation invading another classifies itself terrorist. That that nation might claim (as many terrorists do) some higher more morally acceptable purpose does not preclude it being terrorist.

I think stereotyping terrorists blinds us to the reality of the political world and has us chasing ghosts.

well, if the non-combatant population has to fear it, yes.

If it's an inconvenience...no...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tend not to think of nations invading nations as terrorism. But the combatants of either nation in such a circumstance could engage terrorism.

But your comment on terrorists claiming a higher morally acceptable purpose, I think is worthy of examination. I really think a lot of terrorists would still do what they do, and simply be criminals, if they could not claim their "higher morally acceptable purpose" to mask their desire to steal and kill. That gives them the chance to commit the crimes they wish, and lo and behold, they get to be considered heroes by some as well. I understand that doesn't describe every terrorist, but I think it does describe a significant number of them. I have nothing to back that up other than my personal belief.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend not to think of nations invading nations as terrorism.
Thank you for your reply even you disagree :) and but by the above definition "the calculated use of force or threatened use of force, to obtain political, social, or religious goals" you would see one nation invading another as terrorism no? Germany invade Poland to give german people lebensraum (even there were other more valid reasons).. that is not terrorism??

I think terrorism on national and global level today is merely masked by rhetoric and but we seem to be easily enveloped by the irresistable propaganda of our own media that persuade us to the truth in that rhetoric. it is what I mean about stereotyping terrorism as being small fanatical (often religiously driven) individuals cells or factions rather than nations particularly western nations who are somehow automatically exempt from being deemed terrorist because it is outside of facile stereotype..

That is only my opinion and yours and mine differ that is perfectly fine too :) x

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply even you disagree :) and but by the above definition "the calculated use of force or threatened use of force, to obtain political, social, or religious goals" you would see one nation invading another as terrorism no? Germany invade Poland to give german people lebensraum (even there were other more valid reasons).. that is not terrorism??

I think terrorism on national and global level today is merely masked by rhetoric and but we seem to be easily enveloped by the irresistable propaganda of our own media that persuade us to the truth in that rhetoric. it is what I mean about stereotyping terrorism as being small fanatical (often religiously driven) individuals cells or factions rather than nations particularly western nations who are somehow automatically exempt from being deemed terrorist because it is outside of facile stereotype..

That is only my opinion and yours and mine differ that is perfectly fine too :) x

Well, the German people (it was Adolf and his deranged bunch...) invaded the East for 'Lebensraum' for their German people....so the people that were already there had a problem. And dealing with that problem (like camps and killing these people) was the terrorizing aspect.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Several posts in different threads prompt this...

Wade Page, the shooter at the Sikh temple in Oak Park, Wisconsin, is being called a terrorist. The same allegation has been made against others, like James Holmes (Batman shooter) and Nidal Hasan (Ft Hood)... But can we call anyone who scares people a terrorist? Do their beliefs make them a terrorist -- or their acts? Must the acts be tied to beliefs? What about someone who donates money to a group that may carry out acts of terrorism? What if that money is going through several cutouts first, aligned with the beliefs of the terrorist group, but not directly aligned with the terrorist acts.

One definition of terrorism is the calculated use of force or threatened use of force, to obtain political, social, or religious goals. I think that's a good starting point, and a good way to start distinguishing believers from actual terrorists. Let's look closer at that definition. Calculated... in other words, planned, conceived and targeted with a greater goal in mind, either through visibility or actual selection. A UBN gang member running down the street, slashing someone's face to give them a buck-fifty, isn't likely to be a calculated act. Do much the same thing, targeting only Sikhs or Muslims or skinheads or red heads... Now we're getting closer. Sometimes, the target is selected for visibility. The Twin Towers were a symbol of American economic power; the Pentagon a symbol of US military might. Other targets, like car bombs near shopping centers get a lot of attention and scare a lot people, demonstrating the power of the group. Force: violence. Pretty simple. The bigger, the nastier, the more killed or more destruction -- or the more vulnerable and helpless the victim -- the better for the end goal. And that's the big thing -- the end goal. Making a change happen, by scaring people into it. The Unabomber was a whack job, not a terrorist -- until he released his manifesto. Timothy McVeigh is a tougher call; nobody ever really tied him more than peripherally to any of the various anti-government groups or militias.

Where does that leave us with regard to Holmes or Page? Well -- Holmes, clearly, wasn't a terrorist, no matter how much terror he inspired in his victims. While he had a plan, it was not connected to any sort of change. Page? He had ties to organizations that certainly want to make change happen -- but nobody's claimed his acts. He made no statements, left no manifesto... it's not even really clear whether he was targeting Sikhs or Muslims or just non-whites. Hard to call him a terrorist by that definition, at least so far. Hasan? He's kind of on the line, I think. His actions were not supported or guided by any of the organizations he had ties to -- but they do seem to be aimed at furthering their goals.

First understand there is no agreed upon national or international definition of Terrorism
Second Wade Pagem, if defined as a terrorist, would fall under Domestic Terrorism

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First understand there is no agreed upon national or international definition of Terrorism
Second Wade Pagem, if defined as a terrorist, would fall under Domestic Terrorism

Above in this thread, there is a listing of pertenent laws in the US that define terrorism. I don't know if you live in the US or not, nor did I try to determine what if any other countries may have defined terrorism and how.

I did a quick search for the UN, and there may be a better definition that the UN has, but at the listed URL, you will find these two paragraphs which give a broader definition. I would assume that is so as to accomodate something that all member states could agree with.

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N05/504/88/PDF/N0550488.pdf?OpenElement

Reaffirming that acts, methods and practices of terrorism in all its forms and
manifestations are activities aimed at the destruction of human rights, fundamental
freedoms and democracy, threatening territorial integrity, security of States and
destabilizing legitimately constituted Governments, and that the international
community should take the necessary steps to enhance cooperation to prevent and
combat terrorism,

Reaffirming also that terrorism cannot and should not be associated with any
religion, nationality, civilization or ethnic group,

Most countries would have to have a definition for terrorism for their legal system to react to it and prosecute alleged violations.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Above in this thread, there is a listing of pertenent laws in the US that define terrorism. I don't know if you live in the US or not, nor did I try to determine what if any other countries may have defined terrorism and how.

I did a quick search for the UN, and there may be a better definition that the UN has, but at the listed URL, you will find these two paragraphs which give a broader definition. I would assume that is so as to accomodate something that all member states could agree with.

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N05/504/88/PDF/N0550488.pdf?OpenElement

Reaffirming that acts, methods and practices of terrorism in all its forms and
manifestations are activities aimed at the destruction of human rights, fundamental
freedoms and democracy, threatening territorial integrity, security of States and
destabilizing legitimately constituted Governments, and that the international
community should take the necessary steps to enhance cooperation to prevent and
combat terrorism,

Reaffirming also that terrorism cannot and should not be associated with any
religion, nationality, civilization or ethnic group,

Most countries would have to have a definition for terrorism for their legal system to react to it and prosecute alleged violations.

Believe me I have looked at multiple definitions from multiple law enforcement organizations both inside and outside of the USA and I am not looknig for a better definition nor did I say there was no good one. I said there is no agreed upon definition.

Talking just of the multiple law enforcement organizations in the USA there is still no standardized definition of terrorism. There are elements in each definition that agree but there is no 100% agreement. Look to CIA, Department of Justice, FBI, Homeland Security, NSA and then get into local definitions and you will find multiples that have similarities but none that 100% agreement.

I am talking the legal Definition of what constitutes labeling something terrorism or labeling someone a terrorist. Terrorist acts can break multiple laws but the breaking of those laws it not all it takes to be defined as terrorism or to be called a terrorist.

Now go to other countries and you get the same exact thing, similarities with no 100% agreement. And yes things can vary by country depending on the laws of that country

And short of me hunting for and posting a very long graduate paper of mine on the definitions of Cyber-terrorism and terrorism that is about all I have to say

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have read and heard LEO's talking about getting gangs labeled as domestic terrorists due to the fact that they do randomly target victims for violence to send the message that this is their turf etc. We have also all heard the stories where cops don't go in certain large cities without backup due to the gang problems.

For example, while down in Indiana for college (mid 90's), we were all warned before going into Indy not to wear purple because one gang was targeting anyone in public wearing that color and assaulting them because it was a rival's color. They were trying to send a message and achieve a goal of power through intimidation.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Which is why I said "one definition." It's a useful starting point; that definition serves to differentiate terrorist acts from mere acts of violence on the basis of motivation and goals. It also opens up a huge hole; when do guerrilla or fifth column type actions become acts of terror? Was the Boston Tea Party an act of terrorism, or an act of defiance by freedom fighters? But domestic terrorism is certainly terrorism as much as international terrorism.

The investigation into Page is still in its early stages. Page was on the radar for several groups that monitor white supremacists -- but I haven't seen anything tying his acts to more than their general agenda, and that's really more based on who he was than anything that I've seen released to the press.

It's also important, I think, to draw a line between simple hate crimes and terrorism. If there's not some effort to do something more with it -- an act may well be a hate crime, but if we try to make every hate crime also be an act of terrorism, we lose any way to distinguish or identify "real" terrorists from someone who is simply hateful and violent or destructive. It makes it hard to target terrorism effectively if you cast too wide a net. The means to identify the crazy or merely haters are different than those to identify terrorists. And it makes it too easy to ignore terrorism that's not based in hatred, but in social or direct political issues.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Which is why I said "one definition." It's a useful starting point; that definition serves to differentiate terrorist acts from mere acts of violence on the basis of motivation and goals. It also opens up a huge hole; when do guerrilla or fifth column type actions become acts of terror? Was the Boston Tea Party an act of terrorism, or an act of defiance by freedom fighters? But domestic terrorism is certainly terrorism as much as international terrorism.

The investigation into Page is still in its early stages. Page was on the radar for several groups that monitor white supremacists -- but I haven't seen anything tying his acts to more than their general agenda, and that's really more based on who he was than anything that I've seen released to the press.

It's also important, I think, to draw a line between simple hate crimes and terrorism. If there's not some effort to do something more with it -- an act may well be a hate crime, but if we try to make every hate crime also be an act of terrorism, we lose any way to distinguish or identify "real" terrorists from someone who is simply hateful and violent or destructive. It makes it hard to target terrorism effectively if you cast too wide a net. The means to identify the crazy or merely haters are different than those to identify terrorists. And it makes it too easy to ignore terrorism that's not based in hatred, but in social or direct political issues.

Coincidentally I once had a discussion about the Boston Tea Party that about that very same question and it may come down to the point of view... the rebels or the British. The same thing can be said of some of the groups that have been labeled terrorist in South America as well.

And yes it is important to distinguish between hate crime and terrorism because they are not necessarily the same but there have been hate crimes perpetrated by group’s labeled terrorist, particularly USA domestic terrorism

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Coincidentally I once had a discussion about the Boston Tea Party that about that very same question and it may come down to the point of view... the rebels or the British. The same thing can be said of some of the groups that have been labeled terrorist in South America as well.

And yes it is important to distinguish between hate crime and terrorism because they are not necessarily the same but there have been hate crimes perpetrated by group’s labeled terrorist, particularly USA domestic terrorism

During the Revolutionary War, Capt. John Paul Jones conducted a raid on St. Mary's Isle, intending to kidnap Dunbar Douglas, the 4th Earl of Selkirk-an act that surely would be viewed as one of terrorism, today, as would quite a few of the other more successful actions of the Continentals....

....no matter how much one cares to spin it, one man's "freedom fighter," really is another man's terrorist-though not, necessarily, vice versa....

Latest Discussions