Tell me about your first day of training..

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
21 years ago when i was 5 years old, i dont remember what i learned that day but i remember standing there feeling like i was surrounded by giants

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course, I expect to settle but if I can remember this feeling, I can easier motivate myself to continue when I reach plateus in my journey.
Thank you for your words!

I want to see a black belt grading too, sadly there is no possibility of that in my city. If anyone from my dojo is to grade up to black, they willhave to travel to Gothenburg or Stockholm I think. Our dojo can only grade us to a certain level before we have to go to bigger dojos.
Anyway, thanks for your words! Appreciate it!
Enjoy the journey and mark those milestone with memories and mementos as much as possible. It only comes around once. Great post.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
Enjoy the journey and mark those milestone with memories and mementos as much as possible. It only comes around once. Great post.

Thank you for the kind words. I am doing my best to embrace it and turn it into motivation! I want to become better, simple as that.

Also, not for any special reason, I will just quickly go through the grading to have it written down, just for the sake of it.
Were probably around 20 people, 3 were 10th kyu going to 9th while the rest of us were getting 10th.
Warming up, running around doing various movements to get the heat up.
Sempai then had us do all the kihon required, and I must say it was exhausting!! He pushed us, not letting us do it just once or twice... We did every technique atleast 5-6 sets, and doing them non stop with no rest as well as full kiai and kime had us all breathing kind of heavy. But needless to say, it worked out and everyone did their best.
When the techniques were done, he said "Okey, let's see how you guys look physically..."
Doing everything from (plenty of!!!) squats, pushups, jackknives, finally ending with grouping up 3-&-3... letting one remove ones belt using it as a rope and having it stretched out between two while one person jumped over it and crawled under it as many times as you manage during 1,5 minute.

When we finished it, he told us that he had seen enough and that we could all go get water while he looked through his notes before giving the results.

After getting our karate-passes and new belts, me and three fellow karatekas went to the local pizzeria to celebrate our achievment. Ended up having a great 1,5 hour talk, learning more about eachother and setting this as a coming tradition for all coming gradings of ours.

Fantastic saturday, still super-pleased with the day in every matter. Osu!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words. I am doing my best to embrace it and turn it into motivation! I want to become better, simple as that.

Also, not for any special reason, I will just quickly go through the grading to have it written down, just for the sake of it.
Were probably around 20 people, 3 were 10th kyu going to 9th while the rest of us were getting 10th.
Sempai then had us do all the kihon required, and I must say it was exhausting!! He pushed us, not letting us do it just once or twice... We did every technique atleast 5-6 sets, and doing them non stop with no rest as well as full kiai and kime had us all breathing kind of heavy. But needless to say, it worked out and everyone did their best.
When the techniques were done, he said "Okey, let's see how you guys look physically..."
Doing everything from (plenty of!!!) squats, pushups, jackknives, finally ending with grouping up 3-&-3... letting one remove ones belt using it as a rope and having it stretched out between two while one person jumped over it and crawled under it as many times as you manage during 1,5 minute.

When we finished it, he told us that he had seen enough and that we could all go get water while he looked through his notes before giving the results.

After getting our karate-passes and new belts, me and three fellow karatekas went to the local pizzeria to celebrate our achievment. Ended up having a great 1,5 hour talk, learning more about eachother and setting this as a coming tradition for all coming gradings of ours.

Sounds awesome, and LOVE the tradition you guys will have! That support between you all will be so valuable too. Osu!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sounds like a great start to your Martial Arts family. Congrats.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Osu, well done ! You move a little closer to the front but never forget the white belt mentality. Congratulations !

maine mama

White Belt
Reaction score
5 months ago, absolutely terrified. I knew nothing, I was the only woman, and literally half the size of the sensei. I'm not fast or good at improvising. I don't like strangers touching me... But I'd sat in on my son's classes for two years and in all that time I'd never seen any of the senseis do or say anything in or out of class that did not come from their highest selves. There was no ego, no haughtiness, no putting down of anyone ever, only very well-taught technique and philosophy. That made a huge difference for me. I am totally hooked, though it still takes guts to walk out on the mats each week.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 months ago, absolutely terrified. I knew nothing, I was the only woman, and literally half the size of the sensei. I'm not fast or good at improvising. I don't like strangers touching me... But I'd sat in on my son's classes for two years and in all that time I'd never seen any of the senseis do or say anything in or out of class that did not come from their highest selves. There was no ego, no haughtiness, no putting down of anyone ever, only very well-taught technique and philosophy. That made a huge difference for me. I am totally hooked, though it still takes guts to walk out on the mats each week.
That is a great story. Welcome to the forum.

Shawchert

White Belt
Reaction score
So I have 2 first days. Yep. The first one was my true first day. My white belt day

I was 17 years old or so. (I've always wanted to try a martial arts ever since I was little but I never expressed it due to family history of saying no). My sister had been in for a month before me so I was all over it. (I was living with my dad for a short time and then came home to learn this :)) My first day was interesting as I was being taught by a 1st dan black belt, who I never knew was even in Taekwon-do. He was a classmate of mine and I was really intimidated because I thought he was one of the kids who usually teased me. Because I was always being teased by someone so I was timid as a mouse, but I was determined to learn. He showed me how to do a front kick, a low block and a punch. Those were the three things i needed to learn to get to my yellow stripe (this included 2 small forms the blocking form and the punching form). So I was nervous and shaky but I absolutely LOVED it! I learned eventually he was not one of the people I was paranoid about and we became friends afterward.

So for financial reasons after 2 years of being in the class I had to leave at green belt status. I was so angry but it couldn't be helped. I was 18 when I left.

So fast forward about 16 or 17 years or so and I have a child of my own and he wants to join martial arts. I've thought about it many times and I really wanted a school that was the same from what I learned, ITF Taekwon-do. So I was very surprised to learn about one just a town over. I signed me and my son up and we started our 3 day trial (1 week*) period. I already paid but i still got the free week and we started out learning the forms. So as it is almost impossible to forget Chon Ji (the white belts in this dojang did not learn the block and punch patterns before yellow stripe, they went right into Chon Ji) , I was in my element! I was still nervous. This class was different from what I was used to as the teaching style wasn't the same. But I got the form down really quickly and I was very happy with it considering it had been over 16 years since i've done the pattern. My instructor told me at the end of the class that he wanted me right back at the belt I had been at before which pleased me all the more and I've been in it since!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I have 2 first days. Yep. The first one was my true first day. My white belt day

I was 17 years old or so. (I've always wanted to try a martial arts ever since I was little but I never expressed it due to family history of saying no). My sister had been in for a month before me so I was all over it. (I was living with my dad for a short time and then came home to learn this :)) My first day was interesting as I was being taught by a 1st dan black belt, who I never knew was even in Taekwon-do. He was a classmate of mine and I was really intimidated because I thought he was one of the kids who usually teased me. Because I was always being teased by someone so I was timid as a mouse, but I was determined to learn. He showed me how to do a front kick, a low block and a punch. Those were the three things i needed to learn to get to my yellow stripe (this included 2 small forms the blocking form and the punching form). So I was nervous and shaky but I absolutely LOVED it! I learned eventually he was not one of the people I was paranoid about and we became friends afterward.

So for financial reasons after 2 years of being in the class I had to leave at green belt status. I was so angry but it couldn't be helped. I was 18 when I left.

So fast forward about 16 or 17 years or so and I have a child of my own and he wants to join martial arts. I've thought about it many times and I really wanted a school that was the same from what I learned, ITF Taekwon-do. So I was very surprised to learn about one just a town over. I signed me and my son up and we started our 3 day trial (1 week*) period. I already paid but i still got the free week and we started out learning the forms. So as it is almost impossible to forget Chon Ji (the white belts in this dojang did not learn the block and punch patterns before yellow stripe, they went right into Chon Ji) , I was in my element! I was still nervous. This class was different from what I was used to as the teaching style wasn't the same. But I got the form down really quickly and I was very happy with it considering it had been over 16 years since i've done the pattern. My instructor told me at the end of the class that he wanted me right back at the belt I had been at before which pleased me all the more and I've been in it since!
Great start #2. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more about you and your son.

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
First day of Kenpo was easy. They showed you the basic blocs, Basic strikes, you did the warm ups and all around cool environment.

A month earlier was my first day of Krav . Man I had no idea how to punch, form a fist, throw a proper punch, strike with the elbows, and learn 8 count kicks. The warm ups were intense for me and I barely made it through class. LOLOL. good times. Love the fact that I can take both arts at my school . But man that first day was rough .

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the 1st form that I learned in my long fist class. During the 1st day, I did only the 0.00 that left palm facing down in front of chest, right palm facing up in front of my belly.

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a few first days. My very first day was when I was 14 and a friend talked me in taking Tae Kwon Do with him. On that first day i was welcomed by several of the instructors. My first class covered blocking stances, front leg snap kicks and punching. While still training in Tae Kwon Do one of my other friends talked me into trying Kenpo with him, I was 16 at this time and a green belt with blue strip. On this first day I meet with the head instructor before class. I was a little nervous about learning a new art while I was still training in Tae Kwon Do and did not want it interfere with that training. In this first class i learned star block set along with the different stances and the first half of short form 1. After the class i new that i could train in both arts. I got injured (popped my knee out of place) while training for a national tournament for TKD. After i was told i needed surgery on my knee I stopped doing TKD but returned to Kenpo after my knee got better without doing surgery. My Third first day was after my youngest two kids decided they wanted to learn Karate. I took them to the gym where I worked out at to let them try the Tae Kwon Do class that the gym offered. After they been class for a few weeks the instructor asked me to come and play (join in class) after my son had told her that I had trained before. I was aloud to wear my blue belt that i had earned many years ago in TKD. I thought i would have been a distraction for my kid so i was a little nervous before the class started and plus some of the other students looked at me like who the heck is this guy wearing a blue belt. I learned a lot of the things l knew was not the same way this style of TKD did thinks. forms are called patterns and they don't key-op in the patters as when i learned the forms and the chamber for blocks are different. I still train with my son in this form of TKD after going ahead and starting from the gold belt and work my way back up.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a few first days. My very first day was when I was 14 and a friend talked me in taking Tae Kwon Do with him. On that first day i was welcomed by several of the instructors. My first class covered blocking stances, front leg snap kicks and punching. While still training in Tae Kwon Do one of my other friends talked me into trying Kenpo with him, I was 16 at this time and a green belt with blue strip. On this first day I meet with the head instructor before class. I was a little nervous about learning a new art while I was still training in Tae Kwon Do and did not want it interfere with that training. In this first class i learned star block set along with the different stances and the first half of short form 1. After the class i new that i could train in both arts. I got injured (popped my knee out of place) while training for a national tournament for TKD. After i was told i needed surgery on my knee I stopped doing TKD but returned to Kenpo after my knee got better without doing surgery. My Third first day was after my youngest two kids decided they wanted to learn Karate. I took them to the gym where I worked out at to let them try the Tae Kwon Do class that the gym offered. After they been class for a few weeks the instructor asked me to come and play (join in class) after my son had told her that I had trained before. I was aloud to wear my blue belt that i had earned many years ago in TKD. I thought i would have been a distraction for my kid so i was a little nervous before the class started and plus some of the other students looked at me like who the heck is this guy wearing a blue belt. I learned a lot of the things l knew was not the same way this style of TKD did thinks. forms are called patterns and they don't key-op in the patters as when i learned the forms and the chamber for blocks are different. I still train with my son in this form of TKD after going ahead and starting from the gold belt and work my way back up.
Do you remember they style of TKD then and now (WT, IFT, ATA, etc...)?

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems for most people who take a break or change schools the biggest or smallest change can be learning the forms.
Most of the pattern s are the same as my old forms just the chambers are different and I keep wanting to keop on certain parts of them. I'm just one kup away from being back to my old lvl.

Clayton

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was about 17 I did a few months of Taekwondo, but took a break when summer came to focus on surfing and never went back. Don't remember my first class. Last week I took my first Kung Fu class at the age of 53. Went in nervous, thinking that I'd be the oldest person in the class. There were people of all ages and a great vibe. I've got to do some serious stretching but I held my own. I do a lot of mountain hunting here in Idaho and my legs are strong. Upper body not so much. Woke up the next day feeling sore all over, but I like that feeling.

Class 4 was yesterday and I was proud of myself for having memorized the first 5 sparring forms. Realized in class that there are actually right AND left versions. Sigh...

I need to be challenged constantly or I get bored, and it's clear that martial arts fit the bill. I think I'm going to be doing this for awhile.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions