Tell me about your first day of training..

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. I used to train a bit in Karate as a kid. I remember watching my Step brother fly around in the 70's, He was very good in Taekwondo.
I am a middle aged Male, in fairly good health but I have high blood pressure. I was looking for something that is fairly low impact as I have bad knees.

A couple of friends of mine suggested Wing Chun so I read about it and fell in love with the concepts. Well I decided to sign up and let me tell you...I was really scared of my knees when you are an outsider and looking at the beginner stance. After an hour and a half in the stance, My Legs KILL!!!! not my knees as I was worried about. I mean I feel like I have been squatting for days hahah. I have been to 3 classes so far and am hooked. I think it helps to be a member in a school with an incredible lineage.

Anyways I look forward to stalking the forums and maybe ask a silly question or two.
There is no such thing as a silly question. Ask away!

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
HAAA So for some reason I've seen this thread many times but when I saw it this time it reminded me of what really happened on my first day and not what I thought it was:

So it was January 21st, 2013. The reason I remember it was because I started on my birthday. (I was like turning 12 or something) So I went out to eat with some friends at like 4:00 and the classes started at 6:00 so my mom told me to bring a bag with my uniform so I can change at the restaurant and then go straight to the dojang. Well I didn't get changed at the restaurant, and I was sitting in the car asking where we were going and they said to taekwondo and I'm like "oh crap I forgot to get changed" and they said to change in the car, but there were people in the car, and like I'm not about to get changed with friends (boys and girls) in the car. So I just took off my shirt and put the top on, but for my pants I just slid my white pants over my jeans I was wearing and I did my whole first class with jeans under my white pants :facepalm:. When I got to the dojang (I had never even done anything sport related so I knew nothing about it) there was a locker room where you could get changed but since I arrived late I had to get in the as fast I as I could go. I'm 90% sure my teacher noticed that I was wearing a pair of jeans and the normal uniform pants that they wear, but he never mentioned it the full 5 years I did taekwondo there. I moved recently and left that bad memory behind till I saw this post.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started training in 2004, at the age of 29. I had an informal intro by my then-boyfriend (now husband) - so I knew fairly well what to expect. I actually walked away with a few fairly useful self-defense tools in my pocket: choke defenses, wrist breaks, and I think at least one bear-hug defense. I had my falls and rolls from seated position. And I came home and immediately went to work on shortening my gi pants and sleeves - I had to roll my pant legs like five times to keep them from dragging on the ground. :)

What took me some getting used to is learning how to strike properly. "You are too nice!" was one of the things I continued hearing from day one and for a long time from the start of my training. I am still working on that one - after all that time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started training in 2004, at the age of 29. I had an informal intro by my then-boyfriend (now husband) - so I knew fairly well what to expect. I actually walked away with a few fairly useful self-defense tools in my pocket: choke defenses, wrist breaks, and I think at least one bear-hug defense. I had my falls and rolls from seated position. And I came home and immediately went to work on shortening my gi pants and sleeves - I had to roll my pant legs like five times to keep them from dragging on the ground. :)

What took me some getting used to is learning how to strike properly. "You are too nice!" was one of the things I continued hearing from day one and for a long time from the start of my training. I am still working on that one - after all that time.
Now, you're too nice to sticks. :p

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, you're too nice to sticks. :p
Yes, I keep wanting to land them on a nice, soft, cushy human arm. You know - to avoid denting them. I also feel TERRIBLE about pounding the poor punching bag like that. I'll have to buy it chocolates or something.

themartialartsgirl

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here. I've been doing various martial arts for the last 25 years. On my first day of karate as a very small 6 year old, my new sensei approached me and told me I was in the wrong class and that the peewee class started an hour ago. I very confidently told him that my mom told me this was my class and so I was staying. I refused to train with the peewees and throughout my time in karate that story would always come back up.

More recently I joined a BJJ academy. I've never been fond of grappling, I even found it hard to watch my cousin's wrestling matches growing up. I knew this was a weak spot in my martial arts though, so I forced myself to try it. My first day we were learning a technique that had you step over the person and pretty much have your butt on their face. Hello jiu jitsu, nice to meet you. I was not very into bjj for the first couple weeks, and I found it surprisingly challenging to catch on to. Now it has been about 6 months and I'm hopelessly addicted.

I've also studied JKD and Tai Chi for a good number of years, and Systema briefly. Sadly I don't really remember the first days.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here. I've been doing various martial arts for the last 25 years. On my first day of karate as a very small 6 year old, my new sensei approached me and told me I was in the wrong class and that the peewee class started an hour ago. I very confidently told him that my mom told me this was my class and so I was staying. I refused to train with the peewees and throughout my time in karate that story would always come back up.

More recently I joined a BJJ academy. I've never been fond of grappling, I even found it hard to watch my cousin's wrestling matches growing up. I knew this was a weak spot in my martial arts though, so I forced myself to try it. My first day we were learning a technique that had you step over the person and pretty much have your butt on their face. Hello jiu jitsu, nice to meet you. I was not very into bjj for the first couple weeks, and I found it surprisingly challenging to catch on to. Now it has been about 6 months and I'm hopelessly addicted.

I've also studied JKD and Tai Chi for a good number of years, and Systema briefly. Sadly I don't really remember the first days.
Welcome to MT. You’ll find good folks here to share ideas, bicker, commiserate, and laugh with. Sometimes all at the same time.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Welcome to Martial Talk. I usually recommend people go to the Meet and Greet, but I think you have told us enough. Look forward to your input.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Marie. Welcome to MartialTalk, ThemartialArtsGirl. :)

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The next day I could barely move. I went to work and remember climbing the stairs to my office in agony. I hurt in places I didn't know you could hurt in...
Hahaha, I know this feeling, but for me it was the day(s) after second training ;)

Anyway, I was always enchanted by martial arts... don't ask me why... maybe too many action movies, books and comics in the childhood "fried" my brain, especially that I did not have anyone in the family or in friends circle that had anything to do with MA.
As child I was not allowed to do anything that could harm my hands, as teenager I grabbed a jujitsu basics book (can't remember the author), but after a while I realized I cannot learn anything on my own without proper guidance. Then at the the uni I attended Capoeira classes, but I stopped when I went to study abroad, where I could not find a new group, so I just let go. Then the life took its flow, I met my husband, then came kids, ten we moved to Aussieland. But all this time my mind was going back to this need to do sth with MA.

So the first thing I decided was to send my kids for Taekwondo, I observed them, the complete school and was weighing if I should join or not. Eventually I did not, because for me it was lacking the contact sparring. Well, the adults and higher belts have contact sparring, but with protective gear. But in the real life situation if someone wanted to hit me on the street, they will not be punching the air beside me nor will I have the protecting stuff on my body. (another proof of my "fried" mind)
So at the end I decided for Jishukan Ryu, which combines jujitsu, kempo and jojitsu and the school is only for adults.

Before the first class I was extremely nervous and very excited. I arrived there on time and I was suddenly surrounded by 5 black belts, and no-one else. It was so intimidating, I was asking myself if I am in the correct place, I really felt like running away (but I was not sure if they would let me ...).
But in the end it was very friendly, thou physically demanding. I had troubles following and I did not understand a word (all commands, footwork, blocks etc. is in Japanese). Then the head instructor took me under his wings and taught me some basics. The other 4 were doing their advanced stuff... sooo cool!!!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really felt like running away (but I was not sure if they would let me ...).
That's a sentence that makes so much sense, and yet shouldn't. :D Exactly how our minds talk to us in those moments of indecision and fear of something new.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training was very stressful because I had hard time picking up the concepts they were trying to teach and me and I was very shy. The very first thing they try to teach me was circle stepping which I had trouble with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first day of training was very stressful because I had hard time picking up the concepts they were trying to teach and me and I was very shy. The very first thing they try to teach me was circle stepping which I had trouble with.
Concepts, I've typically picked up quickly. Movements, on the other hand, tend to take me a while to learn. I mostly get by on athleticism until my body decides to cooperate on the new movements.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Concepts, I've typically picked up quickly. Movements, on the other hand, tend to take me a while to learn. I mostly get by on athleticism until my body decides to cooperate on the new movements.
Well I remember one of my sensei use to tell me the art of fighting is the art of movement.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had been watching my kids for a few weeks, thought it looked fun, and the Sensei offered to let me do a couple classes free of charge. My first class comes along, we are working on blocks. First inside block I do, I punch myself in the face...lol. Yeah.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had been watching my kids for a few weeks, thought it looked fun, and the Sensei offered to let me do a couple classes free of charge. My first class comes along, we are working on blocks. First inside block I do, I punch myself in the face...lol. Yeah.

It was a little difficult for me when I started TKD as well. But when I started Hapkido, I was convinced I didn't have, nor ever would have, any semblance of coordination.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was actually pretty prepared for my first group training, I had been doing privates, so I wouldn't be a complete mess. For a number of nights, driving home; I often thought "What the hell did I get myself into?"

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed every second of MA. My 1st is barely remembered. Just a gawky skinny kid in a t-short& shorts. My kicks were awful & my blocks were slow.
But my instructor was humorous & gracious.
Later, I got to know others who were very strict & rigorous. It didn’t matter then or now, as I’m hooked for the long haul.

My only regret is waiting so long inbetween. I wished I had started back earlier.

Latest Discussions