Technique I found really effective

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a technique I happened to "test" a while ago (I didn't seriously injure anybody).

When an opponent throws a straight, or has their hands up, I grab the wrist with the same side arm, and pull that wrist inward while in the same motion throwing an elbow to the face. For the movement, stick your arm out and bend it from there: basically that

Theoretically you could throw more strikes from here or swivel for a throw with you single wrist control.

Thoughts?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I understood, I use that. But only when they have hands up. And it is more putting the arm away than wrist control.
It works. Just some opponents seem to be immune to that. :) Anyway, little risk. It worths a try.

How can you grab him/her when he/she is striking? Sometimes I cannot even blink...

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just a technique I happened to "test" a while ago (I didn't seriously injure anybody).

When an opponent throws a straight, or has their hands up, I grab the wrist with the same side arm, and pull that wrist inward while in the same motion throwing an elbow to the face. For the movement, stick your arm out and bend it from there: basically that

Theoretically you could throw more strikes from here or swivel for a throw with you single wrist control.

Thoughts?
My style: Kali, Wing Chun, Silat
My counter: Assuming that my Wu Sau/Bantay Kamay is in place, I catch your elbow with my rear hand. I then use my pulled hand (which is now below and past your attack elbow) to move behind you or your outside, by raising and guiding your attack elbow to go past me (see Hubad Lubad). I am now in a more favorable position than you. Your move. :)

Keyboard sparring is fun. I'll probably get trolled.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Where did you find this to be effective, in the training/sparring or in a real life self defence situation?.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is called a dutch parry or something.

You can super sneaky and double leg them when they are worrying about hand fighting.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think many arts have that or a variation of that technique. I first learned it during a brief exposure to Mu Duk Kwon in the mid-60s. One would use a sort of claw action, by bending the wrist downward, with the hand open. You would place the 'claw' so formed over the wrist, above the thumb and outer portion of the opponent's hand and pull the opponent toward you, off balancing him. Then strikes to the head, ribs, upper arm for a take down, or many other moves can be done. In the Hapkido I studied, we would step in and grab the opponent's wrist, and step back forcefully, moving the arm slightly upward while stepping back, and at a point, snapping the whole arm downward and backward. You can actually put them on their head. Or step to the outside, grabbing the opponent's wrist with the same side hand, and forcefully striking the opponent's hand on the back, and bending it to a painful position, while also stepping inside with the opposite side foot, and then stepping back with the same side foot, taking the opponent to the ground.

It probably has its biggest advantage from the opponent who has never had that happen and is totally surprised by a move that is completed before the opponent even realizes what is happening, so doesn't have time to react.

@Paul_D - Do you think the techniques will not work? It is an interesting question in that many of the experienced MA on MT have stated they have never had to use their training in a real life situation.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Eh... i may not be imagining this correctly, but how on earth did you get into range and position for a right elbow strike over the top of your left arm and his right arm, against a right straight? Pull his arm inward...

Unless you're talking about using the right hand to grab his right wrist/arm, in which case that makes alot more sense. I do something like that on bigger guys when i can't get around their arms to save my life.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh... i may not be imagining this correctly, but how on earth did you get into range and position for a right elbow strike over the top of your left arm and his right arm, against a right straight? Pull his arm inward...

Unless you're talking about using the right hand to grab his right wrist/arm, in which case that makes alot more sense. I do something like that on bigger guys when i can't get around their arms to save my life.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent is on your level, he will take advantage on your "parry".

When the person on the left does the "parry", the person on the right can borrow his force, spin her left arm, and left hook punch (or hay-maker) on the right side of his head (before his right elbow arrives). If she leans her body back, I believe her left hook (or hay-maker) will get her opponent's head before her opponent's elbow can get her. If he moves in with his elbow strike, her hay-maker can hit on the back of his head.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My counter: Assuming that my Wu Sau/Bantay Kamay is in place, I catch your elbow with my rear hand. I then use my pulled hand (which is now below and past your attack elbow) to move behind you or your outside, by raising and guiding your attack elbow to go past me (see Hubad Lubad). I am now in a more favorable position than you. Your move. :)

I knew you were gonna try slip passed my elbow, thing; so, as you bow out, I simply lift my heel and catch you in the face. o_O

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thoughts?
This is all well and good, but remember, if you've got him, he's got you, and don't be surprised if he does some reversal, and jumps on your back, like a spider monkey. :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you think the techniques will not work?
Clearly it does work as that is what the OP stated. I just sought clarification as I wasn't too clear from the post if it had worked in the dojo or in an actual self defence situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your opponent is on your level, he will take advantage on your "parry".

When the person on the left does the "parry", the person on the right can borrow his force, spin her left arm, and left hook punch (or hay-maker) on the right side of his head (before his right elbow arrives). If she leans her body back, I believe her left hook (or hay-maker) will get her opponent's head before her opponent's elbow can get her. If he moves in with his elbow strike, her hay-maker can hit on the back of his head.

The punch has a longer distance to travel than the elbow. You would want to have a pretty quick hook.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The punch has a longer distance to travel than the elbow. You would want to have a pretty quick hook.
That's why you will need to

- lean back,
- create more distance,
- allow your opponent to move in,
- so your hook (or hay-maker) can hit on the back of his head.

In the real world, when you make one move, your opponent will respond with one move. To assume that your opponent will do nothing (as showing in that clip) when you "parry" is not realistic.

If you can make 2 moves while your opponent can only make 1 move, that mean you are twice as fast as your opponent. If that's the case, anything you do will work.

Last edited:
OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is really not a move in a fight, per se. Nor is it really advised against someone skilled and reactive enough.
Where did you find this to be effective, in the training/sparring or in a real life self defence situation?.
"Street self-defense"

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

DSC_0347.JPG
So you mean this.
1) I guarantee the elbow will still hurt like crap
2) I have control of that wrist and can let go

You're right this is fun

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 20063 So you mean this.
1) I guarantee the elbow will still hurt like crap
2) I have control of that wrist and can let go

You're right this is fun

I misunderstood your original post and thought you throw a strike with the opposite elbow. I will have to evaluate my counter.

That being said, have you really tried this with not just one person? Unless you have really long forearms, I can't seem to see the elbow reaching their face if you remain grabbing their wrist. Might not work especially if your opponent has longer arms than you. (Not quite so ambitious drawing as yours is attached, your illustration is great!).

I will probably modify this awesome technique by turning my grabbing hand into a hammer fist to the face. I think you'd get better success in hitting that way. YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't seem to see the elbow reaching their face if you remain grabbing their wrist.
Agree! The distance is not proper. You are using 1/2 of your arm length while your opponent still have his full arm length. You have to pull really hard so your opponent's head will move toward you. But since the "wrist" is not a good pulling contact point, the chance that you can pull your opponent's body forward is quite low. IMO, to pull on the "elbow joint"l followed by elbow strike will make better sense.

Also If your opponent just raises his elbow (as WC Bon Shou), he can interrupt your elbow strike. Your wrist control cannot prevent your opponent from raising his elbow joint.

In the following clip (a dirty trick in jack wrestling), the distance is more reasonable. You have 1/2 of you arm length while your opponent has no arm length at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: HW1

Latest Discussions