Trailer Registration Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

COMMENTS:
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the hell happened

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
don't know if this has been posted befor

COMMENTS:
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

I do not think that the United States was the most prosperous country in the world in 1905.

I do not think that the United states had the largest middle class in the world in 1905.

I do not think that Mom stayed home to raise the kids in 1905. Quite probably, Mom and the kids were working either a) on the family farm or b) in the factory. (One quick item I found was Lochner v New York - which overturned a workday limit of 10 hours. Yes, by all means, let's get back to those 14 hour workdays).

It's always nice to attack the government, though.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In 1901, there was a Worlds Fair held in Buffalo NY.
- Buffalo had a population of 400,000
-- Today it is 292,000.

- Buffalo was the 8th largest populated city in the US in 1901.
-- Today it is not in the top 50.

- In 1901 Buffalo was home to captains of industry, millionaires and even a President.
-- Today, half of our 'leaders' are retiring, ashamed of driving the city into debt.

- In 1901 the area was low tax, and prosperous.
-- Today Buffalo (and NY state) is one of the highest taxed areas of the country. Is it any wonder that 26-30% of the population are below the poverty range?

Listing all of these taxes only shows part of the problem. You left off all the "User Fees".

A gallon of gas for example in NY has 32 cents state tax, 19 cents federal tax, etc. We're even being taxed on our tax!

The American Petroleum Institute, an industry association, estimates that New Yorkers pay at least an additional 42.6 cents a gallon. There are eight cents for excise tax, 15.2 cents for the petroleum business tax, 0.3 cents for a "spill tax," a petroleum-testing fee of 0.05 cents, and sales taxes. Incidentally, the excise tax is included in the price when the sales tax is calculated, so New Yorkers pay a sales tax on the excise tax, according to a spokesman for the New York affiliate of the AAA, Robert Sinclair. And thanks to the city sales tax, residents of the five boroughs are hit even harder. Rising gas prices have pushed the average city take on a gallon to about 22 cents a gallon.

Every time some politician has a pet-project they want to fund, they try to add on a new tax, or since taxes are limited, a new "user fee". In Buffalo we pay taxes that are supposed to cover such things like garbage collection. But, it's not enough, so they add on a "per can" "garbage fee". Sounds alot like double and triple taxation to me.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the reasons (IMO) that all these taxes are up and growing is because people are PAYING them... as U.S. Citizens we do have the right to protest these taxes and to have proper representation for each and every single one of them. But seems that a new tax is brought up and all the people do is gripe amongst themselves and not to whom they need to do. Write letters to the tax-makers. I'm not talking about the singlular letter writers I'm talking as a whole. Many of these taxes would be dropped if people would protest them enmassed.

Double edged sword... dropping some of the taxes and who's going to pay for services needed by the community.
Still some are just useless ways to get money from the people.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I never understood was having income tax *and* sales tax - they get you coming and going.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's part of why I like the concept of a consumption tax. You always know exactly how much you're being taxed. We had a pretty heated thread on that a while ago though ( I think it was based on fairtax.org or something), but it's pretty long. We probably shouldn't start on that topic in this thread.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drop the illegal income tax, close down the outside the law IRS, drop all these unfollowable add-ons and put out a straight 15% sales tax on everything.

Gas woud drop from 2.75 to 2.30 just by doing that.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where do your 'Income Taxes' go?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Current Military, $558B[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]:[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Military Personnel $109B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Operation and Maintenance $154B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Procurement $81B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Research and Development $68B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Construction $7B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Family Housing $4B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Retired Pay $46B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DoE Nuclear Weapons $17B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NASA (50%) $8B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Security $8B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Homeland Sec. (50%) $16B, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ex. Off. Pres. $78, [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Misc. $4B[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans], [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]“Allowance for Anticipated Supplemental” (Iraq) $25B[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]UNBUDGETTED: $85B (est.):[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Most of the spending for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is not included in the President’s Budget but the Administration has announced it will seek this money as supplemental appropriations later in year as it has in the past two years[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Past Military, $384B: [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Veterans’ Benefits $70B; [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Interest on National Debt (80% estimated to be created by military spending) $314B[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Human Resources, $722B: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Education, Health/Human Services, HUD, Food/Nutrition programs, Labor Department, Soc. Sec. Admin.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]General Government, $261B: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Legislative, Justice, State Dept., International Affairs, Treasury, Gov’t. Personnel, 20% interest on national debt, NASA (50%), Homeland Security (25%)[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Physical Resources, $120B: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Gill Sans MT, GillSans]Agriculture, Commerce, Energy, Interior, Transportation, Environmental Protection, Army Corps Engineers, NSF, FCC, Homeland Security (25%)[/font]

http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm

Attachments

• $pieFY06.jpg
    $pieFY06.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 87

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be all in favor of a consumption tax, its the only tax system I've ever heard of that makes any real sense... then again, politicians would find some way to screw it up :p

I'm not a huge fan of socialized anything, but I have played with this notion for a while... let government run a certain sector, and let them "buy" out any private dealers. Lets say for instance, the power grid. Take over distribution of electricity. They run it as a for-profit agency, the total purpose of which is to make enough money to not have to demand any more taxes. They bump up the prices a good bit, but since people have more take home cash, they are capable of affording it. I'm just using electricity as an example.

Here are the bad points - its socialized! I'm afraid enough of the government doing anything, I'd hate to see how they could screw up an entire industry. There would need to be external auditing to make sure everything is legit and nothing illegal being done (could that ever be secure?)

Here are the good points - taxes are incredibly simplified, no need for the IRS or related industries....

What you guys think?

Latest Discussions