Tang Soo Do / The Next Generation

stephentsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know! What's funny is my friend who teaches English here, tells the kids if they don't behave he'll "do some Tang Soo Do on you" and they laugh, you know why because they think he's saying he'll throw some sweet and sour pork on them!!! Also Soo Bahk Do, well Soo Bahk is watermelon in Korea!!

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
.... Why does the poplularity, or otherwise, of TSD affect you in the least? ... If Bach is your favorite composer, does it matter one little bit to your enjoyment of Bach that the B-Minor Mass is played on the radio fewer times in a decade than some mediocre top-40 jingle is in a month? What possible harm does it do you, or any TSD practitioner, to be practicing an art that is `less popular' than some other? McDonald's (`Billions and billions served') is more poplular than The French Laundry in Napa, and a meal at the former can cost about a hundredth of the cost of a meal at the latter...

As Master Penfil pointed out, the issue is quality; ... TKD's `poplularity' is a by-product of the same factors which earn it such contempt from people who have no idea of its CQ, hard fighting aspect, ... be glad you aren't as `popular' as TKD. I just can't understand why it makes such a difference to you—isn't the art itself enough??.

I should give exile + rep but I have to spread it around first. So here it is +++++.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know! What's funny is my friend who teaches English here, tells the kids if they don't behave he'll "do some Tang Soo Do on you" and they laugh, you know why because they think he's saying he'll throw some sweet and sour pork on them!!! Also Soo Bahk Do, well Soo Bahk is watermelon in Korea!!

Sweet and sour pork... watermelon... and to think that some people say that learning MAs is no picnic! :lol: (well, I thought it was funny...)

I should give exile + rep but I have to spread it around first. So here it is +++++.

Thanks, C., but it's really the kind thought that counts—much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Master Jay: Hah. Yeah, well do you ever hear him talk about TSD? No, as far as I know, he dropped the TSD name as soon as he became famous, if not before. What I was talking about was someone who'd become famous as "That TSD martial-arts star," not just as "that martial-arts star who does TSD in his spare time."

And yeah, I'm thoroughly glad TSD isn't a sport. It's a martial art. Big difference, and why I'm always so critical of TKD. In a sport, you train to beat your next opponent. In a martial art, you train to improve yourself. One is a profession, the other a way of life. I'm also grateful I don't train at a McDojang, although I'm certain there are some "TSD" ones out there. Maybe even within the ITF. I'm not asking that every street corner have a TSD dojang, just that it get more recognition as the martial art that modern (read: non-traditional) TKD flat out is not.

JT,
You are showing your age now...

I guess that you aren't old enough to remember when Chuck Norris became a star...

At that time, everyone knew that he was a Tang Soo Do practitioner...

Oh and by the way,for you other guys;
I happen to love "Sweet and Sour Pork"!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

PS- JT, I am most likely going to be teaching a seminar in your city in September. Are you interested in attending?

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
PS- JT, I am most likely going to be teaching a seminar in your city in September. Are you interested in attending?

I'd be interested, but I'd probably lack the time. Monday through Friday I work 8:30-5:00, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have TSD class in the evenings, Saturday I have TSD class from 9:30-11:30 AM, after which I'm usually exhausted, and on Sundays there's church. Not much free time.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'd be interested, but I'd probably lack the time. Monday through Friday I work 8:30-5:00, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have TSD class in the evenings, Saturday I have TSD class from 9:30-11:30 AM, after which I'm usually exhausted, and on Sundays there's church. Not much free time.
JT, if you can MAKE time...You would learn much from Master Penfil's seminar...