Tameshigiri Video guide part V

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks to your feedback guys I wanted to do something different. This time I focused on my own mistakes. I hope you will find it educational since progress in martial arts is often done by learning not only from own mistakes but also from other people mistakes too.

Nuki Waza – sword drawinig techniques were an important part of warrior’s training. Samurai had to know how to instantaneously draw his sword and execute a cut. Those techniques were used for both attack and defend. Nuki Waza training was also crucial in developing preparedness for a sudden attack.

Let me know what else could be improved besides things that were shown in video :)

Regards
Jarek

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Jarek,
I like the vid, it is very nicely done as are all the ones you've posted. You seem to have a handle on a number of things that you need to work on. Here is something that you didn't address so I don't know if you noticed it ... in all three cuts, you have a tendency to draw THEN cut as opposed to draw AND cut. The draw from the saya should actually be the beginning of your cut, and you are separating them into two different actions. This is especially noticeable in the first cut where you actually draw to jodan and hesitate, then initiate a one handed kesa giri.

OP
Czlowiekfala

Czlowiekfala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jarek,
I like the vid, it is very nicely done as are all the ones you've posted. You seem to have a handle on a number of things that you need to work on. Here is something that you didn't address so I don't know if you noticed it ... in all three cuts, you have a tendency to draw THEN cut as opposed to draw AND cut. The draw from the saya should actually be the beginning of your cut, and you are separating them into two different actions. This is especially noticeable in the first cut where you actually draw to jodan and hesitate, then initiate a one handed kesa giri.

Yes - you are right. My way of cutting is too sequencional. When executing the technique in a fast manner that is less visible, however during slow motion you cannot not notice it. I will dedicate some time to learn how to perform the cut in smooth motion with more body involvement :) Actually short time after the video was published I got really great tips how to do that :)

I think it's a great thing that this video will not only show other people the mistakes that were made but also help to improve my technique :)

Latest Discussions