taiho jujitsu

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
does anyone study this style of jujitsu? im going to check out a class of this style tomorrow.
what do you think of this style?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does the school have a website you could link us too?

I'm not familiar with that style.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I can tell from their site, it looks like pretty standard faire for Japanese Jujitsu. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. If you check out the school, let us know your impressions.

Jeff

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry for a bit of a delayed response, but taiho-jutsu, as I know it and have trained is a style of jujutsu used by Japanese law enforcement. It is good stuff, definitely. The basic idea is restraint and control, and safely, however there are still some brutal techniques in there. I suggest you check it out and see what you think.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would not call Taihojutsu a style of Jujutsu.
What constitutes Taihojutsu is constantly changing to meet the needs of police officers. As I understand it, the first Taihojutsu program at the Tokyo Metro Police Department was comrised of Yoshinkan Aikido, Kodokan Judo and some older style Jujutsu technqiues.

You can train in Aikido and niot train in Taihojutsu. You can can train in Jujutsu and not train in Taihojutsu. Even though both makeup part of taihojutsu. What makes it Taihojutsu is the Police orientation of the training. Even Wado Ryu Karate has a syllabus of Taihojutsu techniques.

Also, what is very telling of taihojutsu not being a "style" is that no one has ranking in "taohojutsu". All the "taihojutsu" teachers you will meet, atleast if they are from Japan, have Dan grades in all sorts of things - Judo, Aikido, weapons arts, etc. But none will have a grade in taihojutsu.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you want 2 good books with info on Taihojutsu, first check out
Japan's Ultimate Martial Art" by Darrell Craig - one of both mine and Big Nick's teachers.
Also "Law and Order in the Age of the Samurai". by Don Cunningham It is an excellent book on history.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm curious. The website refers to Budoshin-ryu(and explains the George Kirby connection) and says what they teach is Goshin-ryu, why are you referring to it as Taiho jujitsu? If I missed something, I apologise.

Latest Discussions