taichi

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Push hands is a training step between learning the form and full contact fighting. If you never intend to fight with it then it is not needed, but you will probably lack some understanding of the moves.

You could also skip push hands and go right into the fighting, but I would think that would take a long long time to start being able to use it for fighting the way it was intended.

So, the answer depends on your definition of Tai Chi. No fighting, then yes. Fighting, probably not. Many people do Tai Chi for decades without ever doing push hands, I personally don't agree with that.

Nyarlathotep

White Belt
Reaction score
Dmax is absolutely right, though I should just like to add that even if you don't ever intend to use your Taiji as a means of self defense push hands still has value.
Firstly it can demonstrate the purpose behind each posture and allow you to correct any deficiencies in your form.
It can also highlight any areas of tension within the movements and act as a first hand demonstration of the practical virtues of relaxation and yielding. (very important skills for any walk of life)

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just to be clear. i am a martial arts practitioner, not a martial sport person nor a new ager looking for a fad and freaky experiences. I practice martial arts. So i guess i need a partner for push hands...any suggestions until i find one and how regular do i need to practice push hands

respectfully,
marlon

NanFeiShen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just to be clear. i am a martial arts practitioner, not a martial sport person nor a new ager looking for a fad and freaky experiences. I practice martial arts. So i guess i need a partner for push hands...any suggestions until i find one and how regular do i need to practice push hands

respectfully,
marlon

One teacher i met said that if you have no partner to push hands with, practice "grasp birds tail" , (ward off, draw, press and push) over and over left and right, static, with stepping, and with turning. Slow speed, intermediate speed and fast. When fast, never so fast as to lose anything or any nuances of the movements.
Regular, every day, as often as possible, whenever possible.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thank you. that makes sense..the question is, is it enough or simply making do until i can find a push hands partner? BTW when in ones training should push hands start?

respectfully,

Marlon

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The traditional answer I believe is six months to a year after learning the long form you should begin push hands training. Everyone else will have their own opinion.

Hopefully your long form will change many times over once you start push hands. It is difficult to learn some corrections untill you really know how to apply the postures.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng

"......and push hands is decidedly not fighting".

Agreed. Unless you enter a Push Hands competition - then all the principles of Push Hands immediately go out of the window
icon7.gif

Very best wishes

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
East Winds said:
Unless you enter a Push Hands competition - then all the principles of Push Hands immediately go out of the window
why is that? if those that throw principles out the window are 'winning', does that mean something? or, conversely, shouldn't an adept player clean up by using tai chi principles against his opponent?

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite simply, Push Hands is a training tool. It was never meant to show who was the best
icon7.gif

Very best wishes

Latest Discussions