Tai Chi on Long Island?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've taken a couple of Tai Chi courses ("Tai Chi for Health") with the local parks department, and a few classes in Tai Chi and Qigong at the National Women's Martial Arts Federation training camp. I'd like to make more of a commitment to Tai Chi as a martial art, and qigong.

Anyone know of a good instructor or studio on Long Island?

M

mwelch

I am new to this board, but have been studying Taiji Quan since the early 1970s...(I am 60.) To my knowledge, the greatest living teacher is Master Yu Cheng-Hsiang who teaches several days a week in NYC. I have studied with Cheng Man-Ching (more correctly, I was in his NY school and taught by his senior students), studied some with Wm Chen, and a few others. Master Yu is the best. I would be glad to give you details about his programs.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I am still here, and 3 years later the original poster (Phoenix44) is still attending classes. So same advice...

arkane1: check your PM inbox and check our website for info and class schedule.

pete.

mfinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Depending on geography, you might want to check out Master Yu Cheng Hsiang in Manhattan. He is my long-time teacher. His Web site is www.taichi108.com.

Also, I am beginning to teach 2 classes in Plainview in July for beginners. If you are interested, PM me. Good luck.

mike

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well we are not in Nassau County, but just over the line in Huntington. Many of my regular students come in from Nassau, as well as eastern Suffolk county, as good Tai Chi isn't always found in your backyard.

pete

pudaoking

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi for people looking for a qualified Taijiquan instructor in nassau here is someone in Mineola. His teacher is Alex Dong and is from a famous Taiji family. Alex's great-grandfather was Tung Ying Jie who was one of Yang Chen fu's greatest disciples. Their linieage is well known and respected. here is the info.
Instructor - Jeff Pastoressa. Yang style slow set- Mondays 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM, in Mineola ( beginners can join anytime). Wednesday classes to begin soon(call for more info). Available for private,and semi private lessons. Group lessons also available.
Contact Jeff at (516)643-6156 or email at [email protected]

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been training with Pete for nearly three years, having responded to his post 8/8/05 and checking out a free class. Since then I have brought in my partner, my teenage son, and several of my friends.

I'm located in southwestern Nassau, Pete's studio is in western Suffolk. It's a 20-25 mile trip for me, and it's worth it.

I've always thought a good instructor is well worth a little bit of a trip--I travel to a Suffolk dojo for my MMA training as well. Pete has depth and breadth of knowledge. It's a fun class in a pretty studio with nice people and a good vibe. We train in tai chi, qigong, bagua, and weapons. We do forms, push hands, and martial arts applications. If you have some tai chi experience, or you're a "hard" stylist like me looking to expand, or you're a complete beginner, I'd urge you to check it out.

The only kind of person I would NOT recommend to Pete's class is someone looking for an easy class with no real physical challenge--this is not your grandma's tai chi class.

taiji jeff

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jeff, I study directly under Master Alex Dong(great grandson of Tung Ying Jie,look on website), I teach in Mineola. I teach the Yang slow set, Hao style, and Dong family fast set, and push hands. I am only teaching a small group at this time You can contact me via PM or through my profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

fjmorris

White Belt
Reaction score
I took tai chi classes years ago in park slope brooklyn with Simu Tzyann Hsu
http://yeeshung-ga.com/taichibrooklyn/teacher.html

When I moved to Floral Park in Nassau 3 years ago, I began looking for a serious teacher like Simu Tzyann and found the post above with Jeff's contact info.

If you live in Nassau you don't have to go far to find an excellent teacher. Jeff is conveniently located in Mineola. I finally began attending his Thursday night beginners class this past January and am very impressed with his teaching.
His contact info is still:
phone (516)643-6156
email [email protected]
http://www.alexdongtaiji.com/teachers/jeff.html

Jeff also has an advanced class on Monday night.

Last weekend I attended a work shop with Jeff's master Alex Dong:
http://www.alexdongtaiji.com/nycworkshops/

Eventually I hope to attend Alex's workshops in the city once a month.

Jeff is looking for serious students. I treated my mother-in-law to a few classes in January and to paraphrase a previous poster above: "I would NOT recommend [Jeff's] class to someone looking for an easy class with no real physical [and MENTAL] challenge." However, I do not agree with that poster's ageism. I met some students at Alex's workshop who were twice my age - grandma's and grandpa's - who did push hands with great skill and strength.

(tai chi in Nassau Long Island)

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"I would NOT recommend [Pete's] class to someone looking for an easy class with no real physical challenge." However, I do not agree with that poster's ageism. I met some students... who were twice my age - grandma's and grandpa's - who did push hands with great skill and strength.

fjmorris, the original poster is a student of mine since 2005 and your disagreement notwithstanding, the quote is describing MY classes... not jeff, alec, tom, dick, or harriet's.

that's just the way it is. while several of my students have come with no prior martial training, most of my regulars are long time martial artists with interest in learning tai chi and internal principles with martial intent. push hands is a great tool to develop skills, but striking, locking, submission, and takedowns are also part and parcel of internal martial arts training.

So for the a shameless plug: Silk Wind Studio is conveniently located in Melville, NY easily accessible for residents of Nassau & Suffolk counties. Weekend & Midweek classes are available at very affordable prices, plus I run monthly workshops, including a very popular Baguazhang series on Sunday afternoons... more info is available www.silkwindstudio.com

pete.

mfinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Well...I am in Nassau County and do some teaching. My experience is this: Most people who want to do this "tai chi" thing are looking for something "soft, relaxed" and easy to do. Not too many people want to put in the time or the effort to learn this art. I have been at this for about 40 years. I started out when my wife was pregnant with our first kid, and he is 40 now. I have been around quite a few different teachers, but the best is my current teacher, Master Yu Cheng Hsiang. Master Yu teaches the art as a true fighting art, which means that his students learn the traditional 108-posture Yang form, but also the sword form and various Shaolin Temple boxing forms. It takes a long time and requires lots of solitary practice. And that is not easy. For some reason, even though I consider myself a rather lazy person in many ways, I have found it possible -- even necessary -- to do daily early morning practice, so I have developed a modicum of skill and staying power. If anyone has an interest in this austere practice, PM me and we'll work something out.

m

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However, I do not agree with that poster's ageism. I met some students at Alex's workshop who were twice my age - grandma's and grandpa's - who did push hands with great skill and strength.

Since you don't know me, please don't accuse me of ageism. First of all, I'm not young. Secondly, I've taught "hard" martial arts to people much, much older than I am now.

The "grandma" comment was a paraphrase of a car advertisement!

mfinn

White Belt
Reaction score
I teach a few students on a weekly basis in Garden City. I have been learning this stuff since my first-born was in the womb, and he'll be 41 in May. My teacher since 1986 has been the incomparable Yu Cheng Hsiang. If you are really serious about learning the art for its fighting potentialities and would commit to regular solo practice, feel free to be in touch via PM.

m

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For anyone interested in joining us for a challenging practice and a whole lotta fun, we've added a third Tai Chi class on Wednesday Nights at 7:15pm.

Internal Martial Arts are not only Alive & Well... but GROWING on Long Island!

My goal has always been to keep class sizes small enough to give individualized attention to each student in a group class, and as attendance grows, I'll just keep adding new classes! So far, Wednesday night has attracted a couple of beginners, but it is not a "Beginner's Class"... all levels are welcome.

Regular Schedule is now:
Tai Chi: Sunday 9:30am, Tuesday 8:00pm, Wednesday 7:15pm
Bagua: Tuesday 7:00pm
Push Hands, Rou Shou, & Martial Applications: First Friday each month 7:00pm - for both Tai Chi and Bagua students to further develop their martial skills.

Bagua Workshops: Third Sunday each month 12:00-2:30pm

Sunday June 20th will be doing a special Bagua Workshop: Introduction to DEER HORN KNIVES! Let me know if you are interested...

Silk Wind Studio: 1 Schwab Road, Melville, NY 11747
www.silkwindstudio.com

Peace & Tao,
Pete Landini

Latest Discussions